Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is all too hard...

Who has "Carpet Bombed" the local or national competitions?

How did they finish?

Was it worthwhile?
I entered 12 or so beer in the NSW Comp. I didn't think I was carpet bombing. Never actually heard this term used in this context until reading it here. I just wanted to brew many styles and have my beers judged in a good competition.

I placed 3 beers, which went to the nationals. Two of these beers went downhill and the third places 7th I think with a pretty good score. The feedback from the nationals was excellent.

It was very worthwhile. The feedback I received has already helped me in the brewery and I would encourage others to brew styles they haven't made before and get feedback. I have also located flaws in my process which can be rectified to improve the overall standard of my beers.

One final note: I have no problem with the same people winning awards. It just spurs you on to improve your own quality.

I too don't understand the "carpet bombing" argument.

I enter every single beer that I have ready into the comps.. this year it was 8, last year it was 13. I want feedback on all of them and I want to make sure that I don't decide not to enter a beer that might do well. Hell, occasionally I have entered one beer into two different categories because I wanted to know which it really was.. is it better as a slightly paired back IPA, or as a big and ballsy APA?? (note - it was terrible as either!)

I don't enter comps just to get feedback... I don't enter them just to win a prize, I enter for both reasons. I want to know what other people think of my beer, I want to know how it compares with other brewers beer.. and if someone says they are great.. have a trophy. Thats just really cool - I like it and I try to achieve it. Whats wrong with that?

If I was a tennis player, and I worked hard and entered lots of tournaments, and won a few of them and got myself called No 1 .. no one would have an issue with that. If I was a golfer and did the same.. a footy player who tries for 20 tackles a game and gets 5, isn't he a better footy player than one who tries for 6 and gets 4??... In any sport, competing a lot would just make you a "hard worker" and you would be praised for it.

Why would homebrewing be different? You make 20 beers, some are great, some are so so, some are dogs. You get hurrahs for the good ones and boos for the bad ones... as you should. If you get a little advantage in the comp because of your workrate.. well I think thats not unreasonable.

Mind you - I have some sympathy with the notion of spreading things out a bit more to applaud good brewers who don't "place". I really like the format in the ANAWBS where beers are awarded bronze, silver, gold - for reaching certain standards rather than for placing 1st 2nd or 3rd. Sure they have places in each class too, but I think the medals system emphasizes the fact that good beers are good - even if they came 5th.

It makes the competition not only about competing with other brewers.. but about competing against yourself to brew at a certain standard - and rewards you for doing that, even if you aren't one of the "best"

Perhaps champion brewers could be awarded with points for each Gold, Silver or Bronze medal beer you brew.. winner or not. And we don't care if you won your class.. only 2 points for a silver medal beer. It doesn't penalize you for brewing a bad beer... but it does reward you for every good beer you enter.

TB

Changing the subject for a moment...

Any idea when you'll be releasing the competitions findings on "no chill" & "BIAB" performance?

Cheers Ross

Changing the subject for a moment...

Any idea when you'll be releasing the competitions findings on "no chill" & "BIAB" performance?

Cheers Ross

Ross, was only thinking about the myself yesterday, I will ask Charles if he has any results.

Craig

Ross, was only thinking about the myself yesterday, I will ask Charles if he has any results.

Craig

Lets revamp a favorite topic. Whilst we get a BIAB result? lets get an aggregate score of brewer divided by entries divide by category average divide by scores of brews entered. This itself is a scorecard not the Champion Brewer of Show award, that award is outdated.

Correct me if, AABC is the be all and end all of Aussie Craftbrewing, the states play second fiddle and are not welcome too impose change unless as I heard on the street you come from a very western state.

So why have a qualifying at state? You dont need to, some make the rules up as they go along. Its crazy.
Stagger seems too bump the ?, its been asked before.
Sooner the eastern states stick it and make change the better. Thats my opinion and i`ll keep having one, same as why should the CUB employee be allowed to enter beers under the skirt of an amateur? Yep, heard all the arguments from the brewers without the tools.

When we get a true aggregate of brewers entries, THEN the champion brewer will show up.

edit, apologies bjcp people whom i have offended, get over it and have a look at the people coercing the show, its for insiders not outriders.

why should the CUB employee be allowed to enter beers under the skirt of an amateur?

Did he enter homebrew or a shop-bought VB? The answer seems pretty obvious to me.

Thats my opinion and i`ll keep having one,

As you should. It would just be nice if one day, you could express it in sentences that someone who has English as a first language could actually understand.

As you should. It would just be nice if one day, you could express it in sentences that someone who has English as a first language could actually understand.

Manticle, why comment? Loser brewer whom couldnt scratch 2 pennies together, Now your Manticle Palmer? Get over it ! Cant wait the day I meet you and meet the real uneducated knowitall brewer, whom claims after being the biggest novice of them all telling people in the Vic Swap how to condone their business. What a freak

Meet me and do what champ? I have no problem with you having an opinion. I just don't understand what the **** you're on about half the time. Read one of your rants aloud to someone else and see if they do.

Now you want to have a crack at my brewing? You're a rude antagonistic prick but if that's what takes your cake then good on you champ. If you really want to meet for whatever reason (drink beer, taste beer, punch me in the head because you took exception to something I wrote on the internet) then I'm not hard to find. If not then maybe you're all keyboard.

I come to this forum to talk about beer rather than pick fights. You're obviously of a different mindset.

I'm not saying anything needs to be fixed at a National level, but at our club level where we have some pretty serious prizes for champion brewer (trips to USA brewing), we are using the following criteria for selecting champion brewer.

1) All entrants are restricted to max 6 entries - Stops carpet bombing, makes you think about which beers to enter & gives us maxium entry numbers that we can plan for.
2) Only your 4 best placed beers (points: 3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, 1 for third) across 4 different catergorys count towards Champion Brewer - Encourages brewers to brew different styles especially where there may be fewer entries & also allows brewers that don't have the time to brew dozens of brews for comp time to have an equal chance, as they only need to brew 4 beers.

The above also helps with judging, as their are still plenty of catergorys left for participating judges to judge without juding their own.

Cheers Ross

At club level, because of the restriction on number of entries I put in my strongest-competing beers in styles that I was competent in. When the State comp came round I thought "goody - now I can put in a few more and although I'm not going to get a placing with that particular beer, at least I'll get a score sheet....". In retrospect, if everyone had done that then the poor old judges and stewards would have been running around like blue arsed flies.
However the Nats are 'self selecting' because you have to get screened in or out [edit: depending on your placings at: ] State level. Perhaps the State comps could be tightened up re carpet bombing because this is the level at which you are able to control this.

Manticle, why comment?

Perhaps you might be better served by this question if you direct to yourself. Why comment if you're only able to express yourself in rabid gibberish? Throw us a frigging bone and finish a sentence.

Its people like you Bum and whatshisname mantiman, that make yourself look silly. I`m tipping this will be deleted soon and so should you. Bum the asss wiper that trolls the threads looking for targets, backed by his can opening brew buddy mantiman.
Effortless Jokes.

Sorry mate I don't use a can opener and I offered to meet you if that's what you really want (no violence on my side intended either). You said it so either put your money where your fingers are or stop being a rude prick to people you've never met.

At club level, because of the restriction on number of entries I put in my strongest-competing beers in styles that I was competent in. When the State comp came round I thought "goody - now I can put in a few more and although I'm not going to get a placing with that particular beer, at least I'll get a score sheet....". In retrospect, if everyone had done that then the poor old judges and stewards would have been running around like blue arsed flies.
However the Nats are 'self selecting' because you have to get screened in or out at State level. Perhaps the State comps could be tightened up re carpet bombing because this is the level at which you are able to control this.
I dont understand what all the fuss over carpet bombing is. Even if someone enter two beers into every catergory they stiil have to have brew a good beer to get a place in a catergory. So it goes back to the scenario of what if brewer A enters ten beers and gets three first places and brewer be enters 5 beers and gets 2 first and a second, well brewer A. wins because they have 3 first places as opposed to 2. Quite simple really
I know that next year I will enter more beers across more catergories. But I will not enter any beer I don't regard as a good effort.

Brad

Bum the asss wiper that trolls the threads looking for targets

Mate, if I did that (and by "that" I mean what you meant rather than what you said - trolls don't look for targets, trolls bring targets to them. But I digress...) I'd have a postcount that would put 10 Chappos to shame. My problem (in this regard) is that I just don't have the will to stop myself from telling some mouthpiece to gate up.

I do have a further confession - Haysie is correct. I do, in deed, wipe my asss [sic]. I hope this tendancy does not offend Haysie and his custy-arsed brethren too much.

Its obvious this thread is way OT, tree hugging lentil ladies and Bum arnt removing nor closing.
AABC IS GREAT!!! And its not, its crap 110%

I do have a further confession - Haysie is correct. I do, in deed, wipe my asss [sic]. I hope this tendancy does not offend Haysie and his custy-arsed brethren too much.

bum I think you meant to say crusty-arsed bum, bum.

Did I say bum too many times? :unsure:

Sorry mate I don't use a can opener and I offered to meet you if that's what you really want (no violence on my side intended either). You said it so either put your money where your fingers are or stop being a rude prick to people you've never met.

lmfao, mr can opener himself.
Lifechange huh that made you an expert.

Latest posts

Back