Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well after last year when i drank all my extra bottles and couldnt enter... looks like i may get something in this year!

Hi all, are the entries confirmed to be required 2 weeks before judging??

Gday all,

Doing up my entries tonight to send off tomorrow, and just wanted to confirm I'm not missing something. There's no actual bottle labels per se, so its leave the bottle unlabeled, rubber band the entry form and entry money, and send her in. No marking on the actual bottles?

I'm sending any NSW entries to the comp for free.

You just have to get them to me before or on 28 September.

Cheers Steve

Good Day Sydney Brewers
If you have entries to the nationals in Brisbane they can be dropped off at The Brew Shops and will be packaged on a mini skip and sent up.
The entries must be dropped off on or before the following dates
The Brew Shop Campbelltown Thursday 24th September (next Thursday)
The Brew Shop Nowra Thursday 24th September (next Thursday)
The Brew Shop Peakhurst Saturday 26th September (next Saturday)
The Brew Shop Kirrawee Saturday 26th September (next Saturday)
Entry forms etc. can be found at www.aabc.org.au
Hope this helps.

I'm after some advice- I won NSW Specialty Beer category (18) with a Vanilla-spiced sweet stout.

Technically the gravities are a bit high for the base, Sweet Stout style. And originally I was trying to get a stronger version of a sweet stout. My gravities are OG 1.071, FG 1.032 (Sweet Stout goes as high as 1.060 and 1.024).

Because we need to include gravity info in the national comp, is that something that can lose me points? Even though I'm entering the Specialty Beer category?

I don't think the judges ever get to see the gravity details. With specialties they only see the description.

Not sure why the forms include that stuff, maybe the idea was for data collection/analysis afterwards?

Judges definitely don't see the gravities or your yeast choice. TBH I'm not entirely sure if that data is collated anywhere or if it's simply always been on the entry form so it continues to be.

Is anyone able to tell me how long the beers will remain out of refrigeration when they are recieved? Just my entry is still carbing ;)

I don't know for sure but I would think they go straight into the coolroom on arrival. Contact the guys via the AABC website if you need them kept at room temp - they may accommodate you possibly.

Any chance you guys will be live tweeting the results/scores as the categories are judged?

I am sure there are plenty of folks around the country that would love to "tune in" as it happens

Don't think it was tweeted as they were judged I think it was as they were announced at the dinner. I wasn't there though so I have no idea.

I tweeted the results at the past two nationals, on behalf of the Canberra Brewers or ANHC accounts.

Once the results were in, and had been checked over by the comp sec, I extracted a text file from the result spreadsheet and edited it into a text doc with ready-made tweets (unfortunately I got the hashtag wrong in most of them last year! [emoji4])

This sort of happened while I was putting together the PowerPoint presentation for the awards night.

Then I copy and pasted each line into a Twitter client as they were announced - one or two might have been sent a fraction too early !! :whoops:

It is a pretty huge job, with not a lot of turn around, so I'd understand if this year's crew will have the capacity to repeat it. Since there's no club night this year, and judging winds up on a Sunday I don't know if there will be a presentation night event either.

Last year the tweets went out in sync with the dinner.

If there's no club night, will there be an awards ceremony to sync with?

What goes on through the day of the event, is it worth going to the venue for a beers while it's being judged? Do they announce the results of each category as its happening? So many questions...

Latest posts

Back