Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Champion Brewer category sponsored by Grain and Grape. Bernie Glass (WA) #aabc #anhc5

Grats to all placing and folks who got a show..

******* exciting shit, pleased to have been in, would loved to have tasted the entries in my cat who bumped me..

do we get score sheets on this?

#nevermissinganother

Stout category sponsored by Coopers.
3rd Ben Lugg (QLD)
2nd Phillip Kennedy (QLD)
1st Ned Summerham (WA)

Managed to nab first place! Unlucky for me it was the last bottle in existence that got sent off!

Congrats on all winners and place getters well done to you all. I was very excited to be competing in the states abd nationals. Looking forward to feedback and scoring sheets.

Congrats to the winners. Bummed my Oyster stout missed out, but you get that.
It would've been a great time on the judging panel!

Now to wait for the notes...

Velu said:
Stout category sponsored by Coopers.
3rd Ben Lugg (QLD)
2nd Phillip Kennedy (QLD)
1st Ned Summerham (WA)

Managed to nab first place! Unlucky for me it was the last bottle in existence that got sent off!
Big congratulations on the win. I would love to hear about the winning beer?

Yob said:
Pilsner category sponsored by Grainfather.
3rd Paul Main (ACT)
2nd Ian Mooney (NSW)
1st Scott Eckford (QLD) - I know this name, well done soldier
Cheers Yob, I`m pretty stoked with the results !
I call it "Party Pils"

Murdoch said:
Cheers Yob, I`m pretty stoked with the results !
I call it "Party Pils"
Congrats - Scott beat me 39.6 to 39.3 in the QABC but I didnt submit to AABC as my old man drank my last bottle in the fridge 'by accident'
Congrats to all that entered.

..and now the bragging-rights for the next year.

Now I'm wondering how the guys are doing at ANHC & wincing at the potentially phenomenal hangovers after Club Night.....OUCH!!! :blink:

George Hawk said:
Big congratulations on the win. I would love to hear about the winning beer?
Hi George,
No problems.
OG: 1052
FG: 1010
IBU: 33 (all from EKG @ 60mins)
Yeast: Notto
Water: Perth tap water

Now for the slightly complicated bit...
This beer was made of second runnings from a RIS, with the mash capped with extra malt to add some body.

RIS (First runnings):
Marris otter (8kg) 75%
Rolled oats 7%
Black malt 4.7%
Chocolate malt 4.7%
Roasted barley 4.7%
Crystal 120L 2.3%
Crystal 20L 2.3%

Oatmeal stout (Second runnings)
plus added extra
marris otter (1kg) 77%
Rolled oats 11.5%
Chocolate malt 5.4%
Crystal 120L 3.1%
crystal 20L 3.1%

So it was a beer that was never really planned very well, and was made to provide a nice big yeast cake for the RIS to get pitched onto. It was bottled 2/11/2015 so had nearly a year to mellow out (and it needed it).

Hope some of that helps.
Cheers

Perks of coming in the top 3 at anhc

1. Bragging rights

2. Getting your results before the piss heads at anhc get on the terps and forget to post the rest of the scores

Yob said:
Strong Lager (>6% Abv) category sponsored by Newera Brewing.
3rd Daniel Court (VIC)
2nd Craig Dunbar (NSW)
1st Brad Donaldson (SA)
Congrats to Mikko and everyone who placed. We can't believe it, considering the Doppelbock ranked third at Vicbrew. Was a team effort - contrats extended to Paul.

Idea for next time - a case swap for comp beers? Dunno how it'd work and I'm sure the logistics would be a nightmare, but just throwing that out there.

petesbrew said:
Congrats to the winners. Bummed my Oyster stout missed out, but you get that.
It would've been a great time on the judging panel!

Now to wait for the notes...
NO! Judging panels very stressful, to get things just right to ensure a fair result, and provide some sort of feedback that may help the brewer (not knowing the ingredients/ methods/ ferment regime/ bottling regime/ carbonation level/ beer age).

...and it's unlikely you'd be ON a panel judging your own beer. Having said that, I would have loved to judge on the wheat/rye table as that's my fave style, and I had none entered this year. However, I may have clashed with Stan Hieronymus who was on that table, and who thinks that the phenolics from Belgian yeasts are the same as phenolics from German wheat yeast, when clearly the Ardennes-yeast fermented weizen that was presented at the ANHC was not of the right phenolic profile. I detected the phenols as plummy, rather than dry (as produced by Weizen yeast). This may be better transferred to a new thread, where discussion is more appropriate.

Back to the next Nationals: we are attempting to standardise the bottle size, and we will publicise this more fully to give ALL competitors enough time to accumulate the relevant size bottles (still a little under contention among state delegates). If you have any input for the delegates, please contact and share, as we are YOUR state representatives.
The main issue was exclusion of champagne or corked beer bottles due to stacking issues.

Stay tuned for more, as the AABC delegates had a lot to discuss. Again, look for more in a separate thread.

*Edit: I judged the Farmhouse and Wild beer category, and am happy to discuss my feedback offline, bearing in mind that all feedback is subjective and memory will fade with time. The lambics were nice, as were most of the Witbiers, with some Wits possibly benefiting from a re-brew, minimising HSA or fresher ingredients. Again, not knowing the specifics, I could only generalise my answers, but if you have specifics, maybe my feedback can take that into account and be more helpful?

Les the Weizguy, over and out.

Latest posts

Back