Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy with my fifth. would of liked a 3rd or higher but can't be picky

Who is Andrew Freeman from NSW - is he on the forum?

Interested to see what his IPA that placed 1st was made with :super:

He's on here as "labrooy" and describes himself as more of a lurker than regular poster.

Awesome! I ended up getting a 2nd, 3rd, 5th and a 20th (aka last, with a Kolsch that was a re-brew and my first attempt at bottling off from a keg. This attempt didn't go so well and was well under carbed. I entered it regardless, for shits and giggles).

NealK said:
Well I'm pretty bloody happy, 1 x 3rd, 2 x 4th & a 7th. Thank you to all involved with the comp!

mckenry said:
Bloody hell. You had (at least) 4 beers at the Nationals, via Vic competition?
I cant believe it. You don't have enough posts to be a good brewer.
Congrats man.
totally expected, after all he did have 74 entries in each category :lol:

A third of a point.....

Still, freaking stoked to make nationals with my first ever comp entry, let alone 4th.

Pratty1 said:

Bet he used Munich and some caramels
(assume I knew what I was doing and had added an appropriate emoji signifying sarcasm)

barls said:
i heard it was a coopers kit and a dry hop bag
Fermented with some yeast from fatgodzilla's beard!

Happy to have been a part of this and a big thank you to all the organizers! Looks like specialty ales was a tough category!

contrarian said:
that shit isn't even welcome in the sour category.

contrarian said:

Chris White seriously interested in culturing this yeast .. he reckons it will revolutionise brewing and make both of us filthy rich!

:lol:

Seriously, well done all winners and place getters. It was a great presentation night, well hosted and well run. South Australia won champion state (for only the second time I think). The dinner itself was magnificent. All in all, a great time.

Les the Weizguy said:
NO! Judging panels very stressful, to get things just right to ensure a fair result, and provide some sort of feedback that may help the brewer (not knowing the ingredients/ methods/ ferment regime/ bottling regime/ carbonation level/ beer age).

...and it's unlikely you'd be ON a panel judging your own beer. Having said that, I would have loved to judge on the wheat/rye table as that's my fave style, and I had none entered this year. However, I may have clashed with Stan Hieronymus who was on that table, and who thinks that the phenolics from Belgian yeasts are the same as phenolics from German wheat yeast, when clearly the Ardennes-yeast fermented weizen that was presented at the ANHC was not of the right phenolic profile. I detected the phenols as plummy, rather than dry (as produced by Weizen yeast). This may be better transferred to a new thread, where discussion is more appropriate.

Back to the next Nationals: we are attempting to standardise the bottle size, and we will publicise this more fully to give ALL competitors enough time to accumulate the relevant size bottles (still a little under contention among state delegates). If you have any input for the delegates, please contact and share, as we are YOUR state representatives.
The main issue was exclusion of champagne or corked beer bottles due to stacking issues.

Stay tuned for more, as the AABC delegates had a lot to discuss. Again, look for more in a separate thread.

*Edit: I judged the Farmhouse and Wild beer category, and am happy to discuss my feedback offline, bearing in mind that all feedback is subjective and memory will fade with time. The lambics were nice, as were most of the Witbiers, with some Wits possibly benefiting from a re-brew, minimising HSA or fresher ingredients. Again, not knowing the specifics, I could only generalise my answers, but if you have specifics, maybe my feedback can take that into account and be more helpful?

Les the Weizguy, over and out.
Sorry Les, I meant it would be great to be on the judging table as 99% of the beers there would be the cream of the crop from around the country!
I've helped out previously at the Castle Hill comp. It would've been an ordeal critiquing all the points.
I'm looking forward to the feedback, as we all are. And yep I know the go about not judging your own beer. lol.
Cheers
Pete

Pratty1 said:

If you are after a recipe, last year I placed with a clone of Firestone Walker Union Jack and this year with a clone of Avery Maharaja

What happened to the champion state results? The twitter feed from the other night had SA-ACT-NSW. Now from the full results it looks like SA-QLD-VIC.

Back