Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
labrooy said:
If you are after a recipe, last year I placed with a clone of Firestone Walker Union Jack and this year with a clone of Avery Maharaja
cool, thanks for posting that. I didn't know about the Avery brewery before but love how they post a homebrew recipe with the description of the beer. good stuff. cheers,

mondestrunken said:
What happened to the champion state results? The twitter feed from the other night had SA-ACT-NSW. Now from the full results it looks like SA-QLD-VIC.
Yes you're right. Apologies for that. The mead and cider results have been removed from the state totals in these published results as they aren't being counted towards champion state until fully ratified by the AABA. This was the third year of the trial and not all states are judging them in state comps. The AABA are consulting on the way forward and should have a decision for next year's comps.
Cheers Tim.

doglet said:
Yes you're right. Apologies for that. The mead and cider results have been removed from the state totals in these published results as they aren't being counted towards champion state until fully ratified by the AABA. This was the third year of the trial and not all states are judging them in state comps. The AABA are consulting on the way forward and should have a decision for next year's comps.
Cheers Tim.
Hey thanks for the explanation. I know that mead and cider are relatively new additions to the competition. In my opinion the more styles the merrier... until we start allowing wine in :blink: :beerbang: .

Regarding standardisation of bottle sizes for next year, when will we hear more? I want to bottle some beer early. What are the likely thoughts here?

NealK said:
Well I'm pretty bloody happy, 1 x 3rd, 2 x 4th & a 7th. Thank you to all involved with the comp!
One third, two fourths and a seventh for you; one tenth for me. Seems a little too close to call, I guess we'll just have to let the amber larger comp on the weekend determine the better brewer!

Blind Dog said:
Bet he used Munich and some caramels
(assume I knew what I was doing and had added an appropriate emoji signifying sarcasm)
haha. after all my carry on about Munich and crystal malt in IPA's its likely.

So....I checked out the clone that he made " Avery Maharaja" phew.....no munich. :ph34r:

94% Ale, 3% C120 and 3% Victory

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=242812

https://beermasters.org/2015/11/18/averys-maharaja-imperial-ipa-homebrew-recipe-clone/

https://www.averybrewing.com/beers/the-maharaja

labrooy said:
If you are after a recipe, last year I placed with a clone of Firestone Walker Union Jack and this year with a clone of Avery Maharaja
This makes me wonder.. How many others in this year's comp placed from using a clone? I never thought about submitting a clone, but maybe this is a good way of removing the element of recipe creation and focusing on technique.

fungrel said:
This makes me wonder.. How many others in this year's comp placed from using a clone? I never thought about submitting a clone, but maybe this is a good way of removing the element of recipe creation and focusing on technique.
Our Doppelbock which placed third in both Vicbrew and AABC16 was highly inspired by the malt bill and AA% additions as published in AHA Zymurgy Sep/Oct 2014 pg 62 'Schmitten Doppelbock' AHA Competition Winner, along with other research...

Seems the commercial Avery Maharaja is definitely on the Imperial or double IPA end of the scale, with OG ranging from 1088 to 1093 depending on the recipes. Recipes include between 700g and 1.1kg LDME, so if you left that out, you'd probably be back in IPA range according to the style guidelines.

My American Barleywine was inspired by influences from both the Alesmith's 'Evil Dead Red' and Tree House Brewing 'Julius' both from the USA.

Got the judges' feedback last night. WTF. I mean, What. The. Actual. ****.

I clearly remember putting words like "Foreign Extra Stout (Tropical)" on the label of beer I entered into the comp.

Yet I received the notes with "Russian Imperial Stout" on them, and feedback like, "this nice Foreign Extra Stout pretty much sucks as a Russian Imperial".

I don't think I'd have got some prized place in the comp anyway, however, this foreign extra stout got me the 4th place and HC at the Summer Lovin' Brew comp past January, and this time I made all attempts to make it better, based on the feedback -- and that's why I so much wanted to know if it scored better or worse compared to the last one.

But feeling robbed of even a chance, and, more importantly, not having a proper detailed objective feedback is quite frustrating.

Also I wonder, if THREE judges suggested the beer was entered in the wrong style (but same category, mind you), would it be worth checking with the stewards/whomever the original entry form?

edit: didn't read post correctly - sorry.

What did it get entered as?

12. STRONG STOUT (>6% ABV)

[SIZE=9pt]12.1 Australian Stout/ Foreign Extra Stout [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]12.2 American Stout
12.3 Russian Imperial Stout [/SIZE]

pcqypcqy said:
What did it get entered as?
If it was a question to me, the chronology of events was:

1. Got the 2nd place at NSW Comp with a RIS
2. Alas, it was the last bottle
3. Brewed another beer from Strong Stout category: a FES/Tropical
4. Submitted to AABC clearly marked as FES/Tropical
5. ???
6. PROFIT got the results marked as RIS

appears my APA was mixed up with someone else's. I was dinged for "prominent/overwhelming diacetyl aroma/flavour" but commended on the "excellent clarity". But my beer was not clear and I knew it'd suffer for that. Other than that it hit the marks of an APA and it definitely did not have any diacetyl problems. Last time I bother with Nats.

Codehopper said:
Got the judges' feedback last night. WTF. I mean, What. The. Actual. ****.

I clearly remember putting words like "Foreign Extra Stout (Tropical)" on the label of beer I entered into the comp.

Yet I received the notes with "Russian Imperial Stout" on them, and feedback like, "this nice Foreign Extra Stout pretty much sucks as a Russian Imperial".

I don't think I'd have got some prized place in the comp anyway, however, this foreign extra stout got me the 4th place and HC at the Summer Lovin' Brew comp past January, and this time I made all attempts to make it better, based on the feedback -- and that's why I so much wanted to know if it scored better or worse compared to the last one.

But feeling robbed of even a chance, and, more importantly, not having a proper detailed objective feedback is quite frustrating.

Also I wonder, if THREE judges suggested the beer was entered in the wrong style (but same category, mind you), would it be worth checking with the stewards/whomever the original entry form?
I was one of the judges that judged your FES Codehopper. I did my best to try to sort it out with the organizers but they didn't really hear what I had to say. There was also a RIS that should have been a FES. Entry numbers were 177 and 117.

jlmcgrath said:
I was one of the judges that judged your FES Codehopper. I did my best to try to sort it out with the organizers but they didn't really hear what I had to say. There was also a RIS that should have been a FES. Entry numbers were 177 and 117.
Yep my entry number was 117. Obviously I am not trying to blame you, my point was that organisers should have had listened to judges. Furthermore, this is likely not the first ever case happening, so there must have been some protocol for fast backtracking samples to the entry forms.. not implemented at that comp.

I might say something like "to hell with Nats, I'm not going to enter it again", but hey what are my chances to do it again anyway. Having placed at NSW makes me satisfied with a good RIS recipe that I got on hand, and in the next state comp I will enter some different beer that I want to improve to the same level.

Latest posts

Back