Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am glad everyone so far has liked my feedback, my theory is to write down everything i am thinking as it does not take much effort, to do that you have to be confident with yourself and not second guess what some other judge maybe thinking or even second guess yourself.

I have noticed overall since I started judging that most judges now are writing more compared to back in the day when you where lucky to get a couple ticks let alone half a sentence.

I would not say everything i write may be correct but it is what i thought of the beer at the time and I aim to do the best I can.
Some of my sheets got quite a laugh at the club night, I remember stagger was carrying one of his from me around with him and pulled it out and read it too me, I think my style may be a little excentric to some judges and I was even pulled up by Ross the head judge for inappropiate comments on two judging sheets, quite rightly too as i agreed with him totally in those instances.

Anyway thanks brewers.

Cheers
Jayse

Got my sheets the other day too!

Some very helpful points, I shall remake the only beer I entered with these points in mind soon.

(No pages of comments from Jayse for me, I had different judges on my porter...)

My sheets arrived in the mail the other day, many thanks to the judges for their concise and also legible comments :)

The comments pretty much confirmed what I expected of the beers

My sheets arrived in the mail the other day, many thanks to the judges for their concise and also legible comments :)

The comments pretty much confirmed what I expected of the beers
Mine arrived today.

As has been said previously, there were more comments from this comp than any other I have entered. Pretty much confirmed what I expected and will now work on improving my beers.

Rather than amusing, I found it really helpful to get so much feedback ...

Just to clarify that when I said I found Jayse's feedback amusing, I meant that the amount he had written was amusing, because I wasn't used to that much feedback. I looked at the sheet and my first response was "Hah! Look at all that feedback!".

His comments on my Dusseldorf Altbier were very useful, and I agree with most of what he'd written. It was the first beer of that style that i've brewed, so I was flying blind somewhat when I brewed it, and the feedback will be very useful.

I'm assuming here (because I didn't catch the blue) that a moderator has stepped in and "moderated". Seems that whoever
moderated the thread has decided that browndog would be offended by some post or other...obviously he's not!

Shame that the public service mentality of "it's in the posting guidelines....follow the rules" has whitewashed a lot of the character of this forum!

Cheers,
smudge

Exuberance wont be tolerated when your handle is ........
Back on topic,
AABC, dont change nothing its great, How do you qualify again? awww thru a state run competition, but alas as some have posted here the state run is second rate, so why have a qualifying in the first place? Too reduce the number of entries in the national?
How can I enter a national comp when per scores my state judges are second rate and as posted above, people enter beers whom didnt qualify at state.
Its a raffle, buy a ticket come here come all.

How are them grapes Haysie. Make your mouth pucker do they?

How are them grapes Haysie. Make your mouth pucker do they?

Its muppets like you Max whom dont even qualify a half decent argument.
Nevertheless, its my right too comment and its your`s too hide behind lame ass sore looser comments. Move on Max, grow up mate.

I didn't enter this year but clearly know my experience after tasting fellow brewers beers. Some are good and some are not so good. However I CAN pick some brewers beers by what I call particular "nuances". And yes, I can pull them out of a flight of 10 or more beers.

That beside the fact, I maintain that there is a potential for "judges" who regularly drink fellow brewers beers become accustomed to that beer and could, unknowingly to them, favour a beer one of those beers (a bit like someone will only enjoy VB of XXXX or TED).

Could one of the organisers of this comp please post the judges names with "state of origin" and the state origin of entrants? It would help me resolve (or confirm) a bug-bear that I have had for many years now.

cheers

Darren

I didn't enter this year but clearly know my experience after tasting fellow brewers beers. Some are good and some are not so good. However I CAN pick some brewers beers by what I call particular "nuances". And yes, I can pull them out of a flight of 10 or more beers.

That beside the fact, I maintain that there is a potential for "judges" who regularly drink fellow brewers beers become accustomed to that beer and could, unknowingly to them, favour a beer one of those beers (a bit like someone will only enjoy VB of XXXX or TED).

Could one of the organisers of this comp please post the judges names with "state of origin" and the state origin of entrants? It would help me resolve (or confirm) a bug-bear that I have had for many years now.

cheers

Darren

I`m tipping the brewing Gods will send you away with previous comments of impossible "dreaming Darren" cant happen etc. Bullshit it doesnt happen.
Its the same winners every year, then in the next sentence they tell you of record entries yad yada,, crap! Want a ticket to the raffle?

What about the above post by Andy, WTF!, lets just enter under another category, I drunk it all.

"It is the same winners every year"..., bit like Tiger Woods, Michael Schumacher, Phelps etc. They regualry win beacause they are the best. If it was a lottery, speople like Haysie would get on the podium. Imagine that. :D

Nevertheless, its my right too comment and its your`s too hide behind lame ass sore looser comments.

haysie,

I think that you have made your comment - it was the one about it being a lottery. Just because no-one agrees with you doesn't mean that you can keep repeatring it - repetition does not add to your 'argument'. I think that I will just move along as there is nothing (new) to see here.

BTW, Thanks to the Canberra boys - by all reports it was another great 'Canberra' production.

Dave

"It is the same winners every year"..., bit like Tiger Woods, Michael Schumacher, Phelps etc. They regualry win beacause they are the best. If it was a lottery, speople like Haysie would get on the podium. Imagine that. :D

Hey Maxt,

Your comment is almost true except that Tiger Woods, Michael Schumacher etc only enter once in their chosen field.

Unfortunately, there is a saying known as "Carpet bombers" in HB communities who enter many, many, many beers in State comps.

Although these brewers are very experienced in brewing they simply enter ALL of the brews into comps (this could be 12 or more). These brews make up to 5-10% of State competitions.

Judge palate fatigue (and coming to back to something they know) will influence decisions about quality, especially if they have previously tried the beer before them.

I suggest that to obtain the best beers within a state that "most successful brewer" points should be divided by points gained and number of beers entered.

cheers

Darren

Unfortunately, there is a saying known as "Carpet bombers" in HB communities who enter many, many, many beers in State comps.

Although these brewers are very experienced in brewing they simply enter ALL of the brews into comps (this could be 12 or more). These brews make up to 5-10% of State competitions.

'ALL' their brews Darren ? You have knowledge of EVERY brewer's stocks ? - I'm impressed B)

Regardless of what you think I am sure that all the entries accepted at the state competition comply with the relevant rules - which is probably more than what can be stated about your posts complying with this forums posting guidelines.

I suggest that to obtain the best beers within a state that "most successful brewer" points should be divided by points gained and number of beers entered.

You are free to suggest what you wish, but you will probably need to setup your own competition before your suggestions were adopted.

Dave

'ALL' their brews Darren ? You have knowledge of EVERY brewer's stocks ? - I'm impressed B)

Regardless of what you think I am sure that all the entries accepted at the state competition comply with the relevant rules - which is probably more than what can be stated about your posts complying with this forums posting guidelines.

You are free to suggest what you wish, but you will probably need to setup your own competition before your suggestions were adopted.

Dave

Hi BIG fridge.

Great, seems that you are all for the idea of "carpet bombers" entering 10+ beers into a comp (many of which are less than average) but becoming MOST SUCCESSFUL BREWER (by scoring with three beers)?

Perhaps the rules should be modified to remove the people who enter everything they brewed which was not obviously infected. That is divide their score (and all other contenders for best of show) by the numbers of beers they have entered?

Does not seem unreasonable to me but perhaps you have a different agenda opposed to transparency?

cheers

Darren

Does not seem unreasonable to me but perhaps you have a different agenda opposed to transparency?

No agenda my friend, just limited tolerence for those full of complaint for something that they are not involved in.

Just to clarify my recent posts. I have noticed over the years that the "host state" beers seems to do one-hell-of a lot better than thos submitted (from other states) beers.

I would really like to see the actual data from these National comps to analyse for myself.

cheers

Darren

Just to clarify my recent posts. I have noticed over the years that the "host state" beers seems to do one-hell-of a lot better than thos submitted (from other states) beers.

I would really like to see the actual data from these National comps to analyse for myself.

cheers

Darren

It is all available here - is that transparent enough for you ?

Big Fridge,

I saw categories, winners but no judges for a particular category. Can you point me to that?

cheers

Darren

FFS, what a bunch of really sore losers we are... If someone wants to enter 23 beers in 12 categories (or more) fine with me. if they are substandard, they will be judged. If they take 3 placings, they HAD 3 good beers entered that placed. I entered State, didn't place, don't care really - received feedback, good and bad, and it's something to go on. Accurate, doesn't matter, it's something. If you think it's just a mugs game, don't feckin enter, if you think it's unfair cause of judging fatigue on tasting, bad luck (and see mugs game response). There are heaps of people this year that are learning from the Judging, either BJCP courses, helping at comps, or even, dare I say it, by entering and using the feedback provided.

It's a learning experience for most, c'mon fellas, at least be constructive, even if it is just in your posting.

Latest posts

Back