Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re ageing of beer. I agree that a well made bottle conditioned beer doesn't suddenly turn to shyte by a certain date. However I have masses of mild ales from as early as July this year. They are certainly good sound ales but I wouldn't put them in a comp now because they have subtly altered - yes and matured - but have 'drifted' away from the sort of freshness that I aim for. I also tried an Aussie Sparkling that got a bronze in the State Comp. Again, it's a drinkable and quite polished beer but has developed stronger esters and almost vinous back flavour. I reckon by Christmas it will be a nice 'dessert' beer. But there again probably not a bronze any more as it has slipped out of the BJCP 'window' and is heading Gawd knows where :icon_drunk: So my original point maybe should be moderated by "What constitutes 'improved' " maybe.

It was not my intention to insinuate, or to suggest that Kenny was insinuating anything. I merely make the point that brewers who do well do so not just because they are good brewers but because they engage in a battle plan, they make tehmselves aware of when the qualifiying rounds are on, when the Nats are on and schedule their brewing/re-brewing to suit, they also enter a shite load of beers, whats more they have entered many beers in local comps over the year or years preceding, they have feedback, and if the precedential judges are good judges, the brewers have had a chance to hone their styles. As a Certified BJCP judge (and one of the first few in Australia) with a long and varied record of judging I feel that I can comment on the standards of the Nats, at which I judged, and the standards were excellent, apart from the ACT judging I can not comment on any of the state comps but feel that all would have been of an equally high standard as the ACT comp..
So lads..get ready for 2010

K

Well I have learnt heaps through local, state and teh National comp. My brewing has improved from feedback recieved at local and state level and am eagerly awaiting the Nat feedback. Printing out and reading the guidlines has been a big help. I for one will be better prepared next year and may or may not do better.

Phew ...

Sorry guys I've had hectic couple of weeks since the Nats (its fete season here in the ACT and with two kids in school and a missus on various committees ... I know I know excuses are like arseholes - everyone's got one).

I pleased to say that the first batch of feedback was sent yesterday and the second batch today, which makes up just under half of the brewers covered (and its a random spread across the states - just the way I've been collating the sheets). I have around 12 awards (which I only got given to me last Thursday) to bundle together with the feedback and post which I hope to get to tomorrow during lunch time and the last of it all done by Friday.

Depending on the vagaries of Australia Post, everyone should have their feedback by mid next week.

I'm not going to enter into the judging scoring debate - my poor EBW got a hammering : (

Chuck - out

Phew ...

Sorry guys I've had hectic couple of weeks since the Nats (its fete season here in the ACT and with two kids in school and a missus on various committees ... I know I know excuses are like arseholes - everyone's got one).

I pleased to say that the first batch of feedback was sent yesterday and the second batch today, which makes up just under half of the brewers covered (and its a random spread across the states - just the way I've been collating the sheets). I have around 12 awards (which I only got given to me last Thursday) to bundle together with the feedback and post which I hope to get to tomorrow during lunch time and the last of it all done by Friday.

Depending on the vagaries of Australia Post, everyone should have their feedback by mid next week.

I'm not going to enter into the judging scoring debate - my poor EBW got a hammering : (

Chuck - out
We got our state feedback (WA) via email, a good system minus the paper and postage, thanks Kook.
GB

Dr K, I don't think GMK was insinuating anything at all and he does make valid points. It is fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain that the Vic and ACT guys are the better brewers, I think this is probably due to having better club culture than what we have in other states. A good beer can score at state level, but it must be exceptional to score in the Nats.

cheers

Browndog

Been following this quite closely and while I didnt do any good anywhere(qld & didnt brew for comp, just put entries in), I am quite keen to Brew for the Comps next year...

Just wondering BD what you think say QLD needs to do as far as their Club Culture(BABBS???) to improve on their beers? Im not a BABBS member and not been to a meeting so im not sure what happens there, but is there something better QLD could do to improve??

:icon_cheers: CB

Been following this quite closely and while I didnt do any good anywhere(qld & didnt brew for comp, just put entries in), I am quite keen to Brew for the Comps next year...

Just wondering BD what you think say QLD needs to do as far as their Club Culture(BABBS???) to improve on their beers? Im not a BABBS member and not been to a meeting so im not sure what happens there, but is there something better QLD could do to improve??

:icon_cheers: CB

Well, I have to be honest and say I made some assumptions. Vic and ACT being physically minute compared to the likes of QLD and WA, therefore you have a lot more brewers in a much smaller area. Hence, any brew clubs would be well supported due to the brewers being closer to the club base. I think this is obvious when you look at the events they put on around AABC time. Vic and ACT do an outstanding job. QLD on the other hand has brewers spread far and wide and I would say only a small number of them are members of BABBs. BABBs does an excellent job in educating their members in all things beer but the members are not a great percentage of entrants in the state comp. I guess what I am saying is we need more HB clubs in QLD.

cheers

Browndog

Well, I have to be honest and say I made some assumptions. Vic and ACT being physically minute compared to the likes of QLD and WA, therefore you have a lot more brewers in a much smaller area. Hence, any brew clubs would be well supported due to the brewers being closer to the club base. I think this is obvious when you look at the events they put on around AABC time. Vic and ACT do an outstanding job. QLD on the other hand has brewers spread far and wide and I would say only a small number of them are members of BABBs. BABBs does an excellent job in educating their members in all things beer but the members are not a great percentage of entrants in the state comp. I guess what I am saying is we need more HB clubs in QLD.

cheers

Browndog
Thats fair BD, are you aware of where the majority of Brewers that entered the QABC are from? Could be a good starting point to strengthen a Area/s??

Next year i will be making the monthly pilgrimage to Brisbane for BABBS I reckon to enhance my Brewing for these sorts of things, well worth the once a month trip me thinks..

There is talk about a Sunny Coast Club but it seems no-one in the area wants to put there hands up to get it going, I would if I was there but am to far away to be any organiser of sorts, would definetly be a member though... It would be a good base I reckon but maybe some of the good brewers aren't to interested anymore? I reckon Screwy would be a goer though... :unsure:

And I think that Bundaberg should get something happening actually, as its the next point north and their is quite a bit of interest their now with the Qld Champion and his Buddys, Andrew could be a real tutor for us up here to strengthen QLD'S chances to go further..... :beerbang:

CB

I merely make the point that brewers who do well do so not just because they are good brewers but because they engage in a battle plan, they make tehmselves aware of when the qualifiying rounds are on, when the Nats are on and schedule their brewing/re-brewing to suit, they also enter a shite load of beers, whats more they have entered many beers in local comps over the year or years preceding, they have feedback, and if the precedential judges are good judges, the brewers have had a chance to hone their styles.
Spot on dr K, I agree wholeheartedly.

It's much more an academic game than homebrew comp. Those who do well see this (or know it) and work to the system.

You've given an accurate map to championship brewing, getting there and winning.

Cheers
reVox

Further to what DrK mentioned, club support to this is crucial - not sure what the Vic boys do, but in the ACT, we hold the ACTABC as close to the Nats as we can.

Plus the CBC club comps are held to support the brewers getting feedback and being able to re-brew. We have 3 club comps a year, roughly 7 months, 4 months and 2 months before the qualifying rounds. The styles available in the 7 month comp are those big beers that need a good 6 months to be hitting their straps - high gravity belgians, strong ales/lagers and the like (realistically you need to brew some beers years in advance). The 4 month comp has lagers and the darker ales which are at their best after a few months, and lastly the 2 month comp is for all those fresh beers - English and US PAs, wheats, wits etc.

With suitable notice, this gave our members the chance to brew a style, have it judged when its at its best, and be able to re-brew incorporating the feedback and have it at is best again for qualifying ...

Could someone please point me to the list of winners and the judges for that category. Was it ever posted?? BribieG??

I looked at the AABC website and it did not appear to be there.

cheers

Darren

Edit: State of Origin would be nice

Thats fair BD, are you aware of where the majority of Brewers that entered the QABC are from? Could be a good starting point to strengthen a Area/s??

Next year i will be making the monthly pilgrimage to Brisbane for BABBS I reckon to enhance my Brewing for these sorts of things, well worth the once a month trip me thinks..

There is talk about a Sunny Coast Club but it seems no-one in the area wants to put there hands up to get it going, I would if I was there but am to far away to be any organiser of sorts, would definetly be a member though... It would be a good base I reckon but maybe some of the good brewers aren't to interested anymore? I reckon Screwy would be a goer though... :unsure:

And I think that Bundaberg should get something happening actually, as its the next point north and their is quite a bit of interest their now with the Qld Champion and his Buddys, Andrew could be a real tutor for us up here to strengthen QLD'S chances to go further..... :beerbang:

CB

:icon_offtopic:

Hey CB how about the WIBBAB (Wide Bay - Burnett Amateur Brewers) incorporating Yourself, Screwy, Andrew QLD and the rest of the Bundy crew... and I would of course love to be a part of it If I lived in Hervey Bay Still.

Cheers :beer:

Further to what DrK mentioned, club support to this is crucial - not sure what the Vic boys do, but in the ACT, we hold the ACTABC as close to the Nats as we can.

Same deal in Vic - we run Vicbrew about 3 weeks prior to the AABC.

As for leading up, at the Melbourne Brewers club meetings we encourage a range of club brews and tastings to gear people up to be ready for competition.

Andy

Could someone please point me to the list of winners and the judges for that category. Was it ever posted?? BribieG??

I looked at the AABC website and it did not appear to be there.

cheers

Darren

Edit: State of Origin would be nice

Darren, it got buried in this current thread, it's just a very 'top line' summary but it's post #68 :icon_cheers:

Got my feedback today. Thanks for the constructive feedback, I will put it to good use, hopefully. Jayse your feedback sheet will be copied and go onto the bar wall. much appreciated everyone.

Brad

"A good beer can score at state level, but it must be exceptional to score in the Nats."

I think you hit the nail on the head.

CRaig

Huge call Craig. Why have a state comp in the first place? If the nats are the be all and end all, lets just enter there? Which of course would be detrimental to craftbrewing as a whole, under the current state qualify I see it as the same people winning every award, then performing modestly at nat level and the same brewers taking the cake.
Kudos to the "same ole"aka Geelong winning all those flags brewers taking everything home and setting the standard.
On the other hand, how do you encourage new blood? Really, lets get real, BJCP qualification seems almost "dont question me, I know what I`m doing" Us and them thing.

Huge call Craig. Why have a state comp in the first place? If the nats are the be all and end all, lets just enter there? Which of course would be detrimental to craftbrewing as a whole, under the current state qualify I see it as the same people winning every award, then performing modestly at nat level and the same brewers taking the cake.
Kudos to the "same ole"aka Geelong winning all those flags brewers taking everything home and setting the standard.
On the other hand, how do you encourage new blood? Really, lets get real, BJCP qualification seems almost "dont question me, I know what I`m doing" Us and them thing.

Haysie,
Just because your beer scored a place in the state comps, how can you expect it to score in the Nats when there are 4 other states submitting as good or better beers? You seem to have a serious chip on your shoulders mate.

I dont see any mention of scores? Chips? Fair go, grow up mate! Browneye, are you the auditer? re this forum!

Think i'll go put the popcorn on. This is better than the Sullivans!

I dont see any mention of scores? Chips? Fair go, grow up mate! Browneye, are you the auditer? re this forum!

edited, bad language directed at a muppet

Nothing like a sore looser,

Aww .... come on. why the post deletes, I don't care a whit what Haysie said, I'm just standing up for the guys who go the extra mile and organise events like the AABC etc etc, they don't deserve the shit they cop.

Latest posts

Back