Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just got my sheets back

thanks to the judges for the informative score sheets and everyone else involed

i knew that my beer had lost its edge since the nsw comp and the information confirmed it.

cheer's
matho

It's great to see passionate craft brewers, this is truly a wonderful thing. My statement was about the nationals being the three best beers from each state, all very good beer. To win at a national level or to even place it must be better than very good, it must be exceptional. One of our very best brewers, here in Canberra, cleaned up in our comp, he even came first AND second in the beer of show BUT did not even place at the nationals.

The fact that a beer has gone through to the national is a great accomplishment, hopefully when reading the judging sheets it will give some room for improvement.

The judges at the nationals was one of the strongest I have ever seen. It was a great event hopefully we all can see it as that.

Craig

Now here is my gripe, I receive feedback and cant even read them, illegible.If you are a judge, write more than three words and make it readable.Cant improve if you cant read it. ;)
GB

Jayse your feedback sheet will be copied and go onto the bar wall.

Haha, yeah, the feedback sheet I got from Jayse had writing going vertically up each side of the sheet, and then he'd filled almost the entire back of the sheet as well. His writing is pretty big, so it wasn't actually that much information. Amusing nonetheless.

Depending on the vagaries of Australia Post, everyone should have their feedback by mid next week.

Thanks for that update Charlie, looking forward to reading up on the feedback.

Again - great work done by all in organising this event.

Received my feedback today and my 3rd place glass for my brown ale, Also hard to read the feedback, however i found the feedback to be close to what I thought, a little big for a NE Brown Ale.

Thanks to the organisers, judges etc for putting on this event

Cheers

PJ

Do we recieve a certificate or something for a 2nd place. I have recieved my feedback. Would like to have something to put on the bar.

Brad

I still cant find judges names and state of origin. Could the organisers please post a link to these?

cheers

darren

Do we recieve a certificate or something for a 2nd place. I have recieved my feedback. Would like to have something to put on the bar.

Brad
You should of got a beer glass, mine come with the score sheets.

Nah, All I got was a single envelope with the scoresheets inside.

Mate, really sorry, picked up the glasses at the comp, i thought I had told you when I rang you.
Meant to hand out at the weekend, but got fuddled by beer & good company...

cheers Ross

Mate, really sorry, picked up the glasses at the comp, i thought I had told you when I rang you.

cheers Ross

No worries Ross, will get it off you next time I'm in the shop.

Cheers

My statement was about the nationals being the three best beers from each state, all very good beer. To win at a national level or to even place it must be better than very good, it must be exceptional.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is not necissarily true that the beer that finds its way to AABC was even present in the state competition. The rules state (D1 in the rules doc) that

"If the original beer is no longer available, entrants may submit a
different beer in the same or a different style in that category."

So while I agree with Craig's sentiment, it's certainly possible for a beer to slip through that has never actually been evaluated before - so assuming that all beers getting to nationals will be exceptional may not be a good basis for evaluation...

Andy

Haha, yeah, the feedback sheet I got from Jayse had writing going vertically up each side of the sheet, and then he'd filled almost the entire back of the sheet as well. His writing is pretty big, so it wasn't actually that much information. Amusing nonetheless.

I think I saw that sheet - there's only one word required to describe it... "Special" !

Cheers Jayse!

Andy

Nothing like a sore looser,

Aww .... come on. why the post deletes, I don't care a whit what Haysie said, I'm just standing up for the guys who go the extra mile and organise events like the AABC etc etc, they don't deserve the shit they cop.

I'm assuming here (because I didn't catch the blue) that a moderator has stepped in and "moderated". Seems that whoever
moderated the thread has decided that browndog would be offended by some post or other...obviously he's not!

Shame that the public service mentality of "it's in the posting guidelines....follow the rules" has whitewashed a lot of the character of this forum!

Cheers,
smudge

cheers Ross

I was wondering about that, any chance you can bring mine to Eagle Heights Ross?

Cheers
Andrew

I just got my feedback sheets too. Jayse did same for me - the whole page was covered. Rather than amusing, I found it really helpful to get so much feedback, and there are plenty of comments there that will point me in the way of making a better beer next time - thanks Jayse.

one thing that did perplex me though - After six judges have tasted my stout (I entered bottles from same batch in state and nationals) one and only judge opined that beer was "oxidised with wet cardboard flavour". I've never eaten wet cardboard, so hard for me to compare, and I'm happy to take on feedback but why would one and only one judge notice this?

I just got my feedback sheets too. Jayse did same for me - the whole page was covered. Rather than amusing, I found it really helpful to get so much feedback, and there are plenty of comments there that will point me in the way of making a better beer next time - thanks Jayse.

one thing that did perplex me though - After six judges have tasted my stout (I entered bottles from same batch in state and nationals) one and only judge opined that beer was "oxidised with wet cardboard flavour". I've never eaten wet cardboard, so hard for me to compare, and I'm happy to take on feedback but why would one and only one judge notice this?
It's very much the case that different judges notice different things. Some judges will be finely tuned to a particular flavour or fault. That isn't to say the other judges aren't as good, just that they don't find those flavours as readily as others.

It is a little odd that one out of 6 noticed it, but it could also have been a bottle issue. Different bottles within the batch are different, no matter how similar their bottling.

Latest posts

Back