Australian Amateur Brewing Championship 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So please, stop refreshing the IBU site, don't waste his time by sending PMs or asking questions on when the results will be published. This man is good and he will release ALL RESULTS at the same time WHEN he has ALL THE RESULTS.

PATIENCE please.

No one was doubting the great effort & time put in - but 1 minute spent posting a simple update here or on IBU's site would have apeased everyone - Simple really :)

cheers Ross

But seriously, the work of Ray, the judges, and everyone involved is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I'll get a chance to lend a hand with the NSW comp next year!

down in wollongong all our servers are steam-and-dwarf operated. :lol:

down in wollongong all our servers are steam-and-dwarf operated. :lol:

and now we don't have Work Choices we can't use the whip anymore ...

But seriously, the work of Ray, the judges, and everyone involved is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I'll get a chance to lend a hand with the NSW comp next year!

Will appreciate your help. And the several men (and women if they are able) that you will bring with you. It really is great fun

No one was doubting the great effort & time put in - but 1 minute spent posting a simple update here or on IBU's site would have apeased everyone - Simple really

Appreciate that. But nothing is simple anymore. Besides, today is Tuesday. 9.00am - 6.00pm Saturday and Sunday means it's good to have a quiet Monday.

Based on that alone, I'd like to see the AABC being held in NSW next year.

I'm happy to see it in Melbourne next year. If the boys can get the 2008 Conference of the ground, I'm looking forward to visiting Melbourne and the nationals there. Most of the IBUs sampled think the same on that matter !

Hi
Sorry to be a bit late but the message has come across well, we were hoping to have more judges for both days, but being an event organised and run and supported by ametuers we did not get the support from judges who said they were coming and being the election date (we got in first) it made things even worse.
For those that entered let me tell you and others that have never judged or sat in and watched a competition like this it takes time and a lot of effort for all involved, so some patience would be nice. The Belgian ales took 4 hours to complete and be judged for the 15 entries, so your feedback will be good and its a very hard competition to judge, as all entries were very good.
I hope to have the final 3 categories completed this week.
Cheers
Ray

Hi Ray,
I for 1 don't mind the time you are taking, you have put in alot of work over the last couple of months, taking the time to make sure the comps run as best as possible, congrat's to you and your team!
Cheers.

P.S. Where the bl**dy h*ll is my NSW Champs feedback!!! LOL, just kidding.

I was a judge who was unable to make it, but it was my Birthday Weekend and as such a family thing, and I let it be known. Thats cool!!
I strongly believe that the results of a comp should not be announced until the Fat Lady Sings, particularly if there is to be a BOS, and especially if the BOS is not concurrent with the comp, something that may happen more regularly.
A beer comp in 2007 (esp the Nats) needs to be run well and the brewers who have entered, and in the Nats case the organisers who have run the qualifying rounds, need to be respected.
It is of no use rushing a comp through just to get it finished and post some results if that rushing means that some flights that sensibly should have been delayed are rushed through.
A quality judge is not someone who has got their guidelines off the back of a can (cause they have not).
A few years ago a small group of craftbrewers in Oz picked up the BJCP baton and ran with it, a larger group convened and the first BJCP exams were held some 14 months later.
We now have a growing group of Australian Home Brewers who have spent the time, the effort and the money to expand their knowledge, to expand their tasting skills and to sit an exam and be assessed by their peers (a faceless lot in the US !) as being worthy of carrying the badge of the BJCP.

As I noted at the outset, I was not there, but, if there were less judges than anticipated a decision had to be made.
Be patient.

K

Ray........ great work mate.

I have been involved with organising state comps for shooting events in the past and its a bloody big job getting everything organised. marking up targets, having all he paperwork right, trophies, medals ect, food for everyone, and then organising yourself to compete as well (my brother and i organised it, he got 1st and i got 2nd with a painfuly crook back) and then running it over 2 days is a big thing.

My hat is off to you mate especially backing up from the state brewing comp. Someone asked me what i get for winning that and i said..... im sure i will find out when they are done with the national comp..... they are busy bodies at the moment.

I an seriously thinking of taking up training to be a judge to help out. I seem to read a lot saying...... if we had more judges and the comp scene is obviously growing in the state.

I find myself drinking beer these days, analising its every aspect. Aroma, flavour, balance, and its relation to style.

I doubt this is the place but how do i get started down to road to judging?

cheers

No one was doubting the great effort & time put in - but 1 minute spent posting a simple update here or on IBU's site would have apeased everyone - Simple really :)

cheers Ross
Ross
Being a retailer, thanks for all your effort and support you have given the national competition, just non at all, and your wanting results ???????????
Ray

I've not entered this competition, so it is probably improper for me to state an opinion, but...

If I were to enter a competition, I would *expect* the judging to be fair and considered. If that meant that for whatever reason it took a few days, or weeks, longer than I first expected, I would not mind if the results were proper. I take what I read in this thread to mean that the organisers intend this outcome and that the current extent of delay is reasonable. Of course, if the discussion continues into 2008, there is a reason to express concern, but I guess that the real outcome of that is to wonder why there might be such a lack of available, qualified judges.

To illustrate this point, would you want *me* to be judging your beer in lieu of someone who knows what they're talking about just so you get your feedback promptly?

If a national competition is to be held in Melbourne, I will happily assist to lift heavy objects and ensure properly qualified people are fed and watered.

Ross
Being a retailer, thanks for all your effort and support you have given the national competition, just non at all, and your wanting results ???????????
Ray

Ray, All people were asking for was an update to what was happening, they weren't asking you or anyone to hurry up. Everyone supports the great work being put in by you & the other judges & I've read nothing in this thread to the contrary

I would have been glad to give support, I sponsor many comps around the country - All it needs is someone to ask :) Having a cheap dig at me is hardly called for...

Cheers Ross

Get with the times....the internetz waits for no one. :p

Get with the times....the internetz waits for no one. :p

Agreed - the time taken for something to be posted and commented online is quicker than it takes New York Cabbie to hit the horn when the traffic light goes green....

Scotty

Ray, All people were asking for was an update to what was happening, they weren't asking you or anyone to hurry up. Everyone supports the great work being put in by you & the other judges & I've read nothing in this thread to the contrary

I would have been glad to give support, I sponsor many comps around the country - All it needs is someone to ask :) Having a cheap dig at me is hardly called for...

Cheers Ross
Nothing personal Ross
Its just I had no support from the Retail side of the industry for the Nationals or the State other that Dave's home brew shop in North Sydney.
Just letting out a little frustration
Cheers
Ray

Nothing personal Ross
Its just I had no support from the Retail side of the industry for the Nationals or the State other that Dave's home brew shop in North Sydney.
Just letting out a little frustration
Cheers
Ray

Appreciated & understood Ray. If you are involved again next year, I'll certainly be offering support.

cheers Ross

Ray, any chance of a quick update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back