Australian Amateur Brewing Championship 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chief Steward Australian Amateur Brewing Championship
28A Hospital Road
Bulli NSW 2516

It's in the pdf file called "AABC Entry Conditions 2007"

Cheers, I knew it would be there, I just needed to open my eyes.

...Nice to meet you yesterday Ray, the dark mild was very nice mate....

...good luck and hope you have a hassle free competition next weekend....

...Cheers, Scott....

Don't forget that the 60% requirement has been dropped fro this year as well.

Hi David,
Do you know why is the comp being dumbed down?
Surely the way to 'better beer' is to raise, not lower the standard.

Rgds,
Peter

Hi David,
Do you know why is the comp being dumbed down?
Surely the way to 'better beer' is to raise, not lower the standard.

Rgds,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Sorry, no. I resigned from the AABA after last years competition so have not been involved in the discussions.

But I have read:

"27 September 2007 Rule D1 changed to remove requirement for qualifying entries to AABC
to achieve a score of at least 60%, but only for AABC2007. This was based on a yes vote
from all states with a condition that it revisited soon after AABC2007 to clarify the situation
for future competitions. Some comments were:
• Our judges were very strict and stuck firmly to the guidelines. We had several beers
that were good, but out of style enough, or had a few classic faults that it caused a
point loss. When they fell below the 60%, I was really curious how they would have
stacked up against the other states.
• I think the judges really need some guidance. A mark below 60% means the judge is
saying that the beer has problems and/or is not quite to style.
• In principal I think the 60% rule is a good one.
• I think we need a follow-up discussion about reference beers [for standardising
scoring], which have proved very effective in recent ACT comps.
• A discussion soon after this year's national comp would be good to clarify the
situation for next year's state comps"

David

Thanks for the link David.
Hopefully the threshold will be reinstated.

Peter

Are the results in yet?

Cheers Ross

Seen nothing yet ... I'm tempted to send Ray an SMS, would that be out of line??

i don't hold alot of hope for mine, cracked one open last night and it was flat as a tac :-(
first batch i've ever filtered and it's been in the bottle a month but still no carbonation?

still tasting fantastic on tap, hope i didnt let the team down.

hope everyone else did well

Rob.

Nothing on the IBU site...yet...not that I was looking, of course...

Seth out :p

results for what?? ;)
as i understand it there was a flight yet to be done as we lost a few judges yesterday afternoon and we ran out of light so ray is going to assemble a crack team of judges and whip those out asap, so he maybe holding off on posting the results until he has completed the lot. We didnt even find out any results yesterday, it was all kept highly secret..
needless to say im sure the results will be posted before the end of the week... B)

I can barely wait here. I'm meant to be working, and all I can do is "refresh", "refresh", "refresh" on ibunion.org.

I reckon my work should start sponsoring the comp in return for the results coming out faster so that I get more work done. It makes complete sense!

Go on....... Admit it.

You thought the results were in didnt you :lol: :p

agonising isnt it hehe

cheers

Ray and company are obviously sadistic and enjoying our pain ;)

Give it some time, fellas/gals.
If there is a flight to be judged, it may be the BoS round. If not, there is another flight to be judged before the BoS.

Some/a few/most of these judges are BJCP trainees. They deserve the respect of their peers who have not committed to becoming a qualified beer judge. Just a little of your time, and you can guarantee the results will be irrefutable.

I was part of the Hunter BJCP-trainees who helped at the NSW comp last year. It was great experience and excellent value. By tasting the beers of others, it's easier to see where your brewing fits in amongst other brewers of significant calibre.

There will be a lot of heart put into this judging... and the reinforcement of feedback and judging, after backing up from the NSW comp, will improve the quality of judging in Australia for many years to come.
Based on that alone, I'd like to see the AABC being held in NSW next year.

Testify! :chug:

[/BJCP spruik and rant] :icon_offtopic: ??

Respect.

Give it some time, fellas/gals.
If there is a flight to be judged, it may be the BoS round. If not, there is another flight to be judged before the BoS.

Some/a few/most of these judges are BJCP trainees. They deserve the respect of their peers who have not committed to becoming a qualified beer judge. Just a little of your time, and you can guarantee the results will be irrefutable.

Respect.

Absolutely agree, I think you'll find most of the comments above are in reasonably good humour. However, some simple feedback from the organisers to let us all know what is going on isn't too much to ask, surely?

They deserve the respect of their peers [...]

Oh, absolutely. My comments are not intended to be disrespectful in any way. Just passing time, and looking forward to those results :). (Disrespectful would be, "Why would you be so eager to hear their opinions of your beer? ;)").

Absolutely agree, I think you'll find most of the comments above are in reasonably good humour. However, some simple feedback from the organisers to let us all know what is going on isn't too much to ask, surely?

As someone who spent both days at the judging, battling flies, humidity, some extremely bad jokes and someone's passionfruit lager, I'll tell you that as not enough people turned up to judge, a last flight of brews are being tested during the week to complete the judging. Please be thankful that a couple of blokes will be taking time out mid week to help Ray complete the tasting and THEN he will release all win and place results.

Please remember that the head steward (Ray) has spent many hours in getting all bottles collected and catagorised and the flight list prepared, carting the bottles to the venue (three large fridges were filled with the entries), organising the barbeque to feed the judges & stewards breakfast and lunch, ringing around about a hundred calls asking / begging some more people to come and judge, packing up the tables and chairs checking the final results and entering everything into his computer. Oh by the way, he also works for a living involved in several businesses and he has his local drinking hole to support. He has still to return to the venue, remove three large refrigerators and several boxes of brew.

So please, stop refreshing the IBU site, don't waste his time by sending PMs or asking questions on when the results will be published. This man is good and he will release ALL RESULTS at the same time WHEN he has ALL THE RESULTS.

PATIENCE please.

PS -bloody good fun .. if you could have come but didn't - it's your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back