Australia Day lamb advertisement

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mate had a 240K that we used as a share car when other cars were broken down. That thing was insane, although I did learn that fibreglass matt and resin was not the best fix for a leaking manifold :ph34r: Most fun Jap car I had was a 76 MkII Corona 6 cyl.

And how ridiculous is the price of corned silverside these days.

Remember that Hahn ad 'we put the taste in beer '?

One of me mates had an ad in the paper at the time for his 180B datto. Anyways he gets a phone call:

"What colour is your car mate?"

He answers: "aw, kind of a baby poo brown".. then they ask:

"Can we hire your car for a day?"

Mate says "What for?"... They say:

"We want to put your car in a beer ad!"

Anyway turns out my mates shitty car (nicknamed 'Mildred') gets in a Hahn "we put all the taste in our beer' ad. I kid you not!!

DrSmurto said:
... Lamb flaps were $2/kg. I had no idea what they were but figured I could use them for something. A tad fatty but slow cooked they melted away to perfection. ...
Shepherd's pie filling!
Growing up in the country, my parents raised a small flock of sheep to keep the paddocks down and provide cheap meat. So almost all of the sheep was eaten.
Flaps/ribs were boiled down, cooled overnight in the fridge, stripped out the meat from the fat/sinew/bone, put through the hand mincer, spread across a baking dish, topped with Deb potato mash and turned into shepherd's pie.
The flavour and texture of the meat from the flaps, plus being twice cooked, made the best filling shepherd's pie I've come across. Regular lamb mince just doesn't quite cut it.
And even though I'm quite a snob against packet ingredients, that Deb potato mash was pretty hard to beat for the right balance in the mash topping of a shepherd's pie.

Sorry, but everything was fine technobabble66 until you mentioned Deb potato mash. My god don't tell us it was made with powdered milk?

grott said:
Sorry, but everything was fine technobabble66 until you mentioned Deb potato mash. My god don't tell us it was made with powdered milk?
Just needed some surprise peas

Price of most meat is a major motivator behind me eating so much chicken. Almost always buy it whole.

Don't knock Deb or surprise peas and carrots. They are both an excellent side with a meat pie. They both cook faster than you can reheat the pies too, so that's a win.

The trick with Deb is to cook with half water / half milk, get the ratio just right and most importantly, do not over-stir. If you stir too much it turns into glue. Save the butter for topping the mash, if you must.

wide eyed and legless said:
World wide the price of gas has increased ,can't see how Japan can get our gas cheaper than us, not putting up an argument that the facts are wrong but only wondering if the trend towards solar power continues other energy resources will take up the slack. Maybe we should be looking at all the sites for fracking the CSG, plenty in Qld we could be taking advantage of.

because the "length of project" price contracts under MOU signed back in the 80s between Australia and japan stipulate that for as long as the joint venture projects are producing gas from the well, then the shipped cargoes are at set prices (excluding inflation blah blah)

best example is the NWSSC project, part owned by the 6 major oil companies and run by woodside and NWS. 8 ships run chartered cargoes on set gas prices and then other cargos is sold on the spot cargo market.

Just thinking about this (yes I'm a little bit slow sometimes!) - in the lamb advertisement, I didn't see any convicts. A fair portion of the 'first fleet' was made up of convicts. People who didn't want to be there at all, and if not for the American revolution would probably have been sent to America instead.

I wonder what the indigenous Australians thought about the British peoples treatment of their own countrymen and what it probably meant for their own future. Personally I think I would have taken one look and rn for the hills.

I'm not really one who thinks much about republicanism, but it might be time we started standing on our own two feet as a nation and selected a day of celebration from that beginning.

Okay deep Friday though over... going to head out to garage and ready things for weekend brewing.

Latest posts

Back