"aussie" Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about XXXX but the Carlton Yeasts apparently came from Denmark (Carlsberg) early on in the piece. TidalPete has made a superb Aussie lager using Wyeast 2042. I've also had success with dried yeast S-189 as it ferments warmish. I think I recall Thirsty Boy, who works at CUB, saying that they start fermenting cold then let it gradually rise to the late teens before sending to the lagering tanks for 10 days.

I made the following for a birthday party attended 100% by non brewers and they were more than happy with it as a commercial tasting brew:

4000 BB pale pilsener
300 Carapils

67 degrees 90 mins

20 superpride 90 mins
2 plugs Hallertau Mittelfreuh 10 mins

750 dextrose

S-189 fermented at around 15 degrees for 10 days
lagered for 10 days at 3 degrees
further cold conditioned in keg for 10 days before serving.

View attachment 35950

I did another version with a bit of crystal (the one on the right) and used two additions of Cluster XXX style but that might be a bit advanced for your mates :p B)

BribieG,
do you think it would be possible to do a mexican beer like that as well? Maybe even in Corona bottles?

:p

(come on, you know you want to post it... )

Bjorn

You guys are freaking me out. I know VB is considered beer and XXXX. But.. why? :lol:

Not a big fan of VB but full strength xxxx and Melbourne bitter go down well on a hot day, after a work day or at a barbecue with mates.

I can drink Westmalle AND Carlton Draught

Have you ever lived or travelled overseas? If so you will appreciate that the likes of XXXX and VB actually stack up ok against many overseas brews, they are just a different style due to our malts and hops and sugar usage. Not all of us like orange cloudy ales hopped to the ridiculous with Cascade, some of us actually like a good Australian Lager - preferably one we have brewed ourselves. If we crack you up then I'm glad I've brought a smile into someone's life today :p

Hi BribieG
Having lived and travelled overseas most of my life IMHO I dont think I have come across many brews as bad as VB - even in so called third world countries, XXXX is not much better.

Cheers
Rob

Hi BribieG
Having lived and travelled overseas most of my life IMHO I dont think I have come across many brews as bad as VB - even in so called third world countries, XXXX is not much better.

Cheers
Rob

You have either not drank as many overseas beers as me or not visited the same countries. :unsure:

Batz

You have either not drank as many overseas beers as me or not visited the same countries. :unsure:

Batz

VB over XXXX anyday but each to their own
VB beer adds are the best (except for the pop up pup)

Cheers
Shonks :p

Batz
Most of us don't go OS looking for bad beers to try. I've tried quite a few English beers that have been pretty average but still better that mainstream Australian beers. The US mainstream is terrible as well but their craft/micro tier more than compensates. Europe probably has the best quality mainstream beers IMHO.

It's 40 degrees C and 6pm. In the esky is a six pack of XXXX Bitter and a six pack of Guinness ... which one do you reach for?

It's 40 degrees C and 6pm. In the esky is a six pack of XXXX Bitter and a six pack of Guinness ... which one do you reach for?

Something better that you brewed yourself?

Most of us don't go OS looking for bad beers to try.

Quite true, I however find it difficult to tell a good or bad beer by looking at the bottle. Therefore I try many beers when overseas, this is something I really look forward too and enjoy immensely, a proportion of these beer I classify as bad beers.

Batz

Back on subject I make a very nice Aussie Beer, this I have on tap at my bar most of the time. It's a nice way to introduce (I don't like home brew) drinkers to your wares.
More than happy to share the recipe if anyone wants it.

Batz

Back on subject I make a very nice Aussie Beer, this I have on tap at my bar most of the time. It's a nice way to introduce (I don't like home brew) drinkers to your wares.
More than happy to share the recipe if anyone wants it.

Batz

Highly recommend Batz' Aussie Ale, it's a really easy drinking beer. Hope that's on tap at the moment Batz.

Andrew

Highly recommend Batz' Aussie Ale, it's a really easy drinking beer. Hope that's on tap at the moment Batz.

Andrew

Went on tap this morning ready for the KinKinFest Andrew, I couldn't have a night without Far Kin Ale on tap :icon_cheers:

I must say that Tidalpetes Aussie Lager is the next Aussie I'm going to brew, I beleive it's the best I've ever had....better than Far Kin Ale?...Well I'm brewing it next ! ;)

Batz

+1, and he used that Wyeast Danish. I note that the Danish is also mentioned in the somewhat cynical piece quoted in the earlier post, so that might be a good choice.

Wouldn't mind having a go at something like that - again a good intro for mates.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.75 kg BB Galaxy Pale Malt (1.5 SRM) Grain 72.82 %
1.00 kg BB Ale Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 19.42 %
0.20 kg BB Wheat Malt (1.0 SRM) Grain 3.88 %
25.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
1.22 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.20 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 3.88 %
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.34 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 23.3 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 3.3 SRM : Color

Offer your megaswill mates three beers with any random malt profiles; hop two of them late and leave the third one with only a single 60+ minute addition.

Watch which one they go for after a few.

Not everyone likes fruit salad beer - I do, but I can't blame them.

I'm sure there's a condition I'd like to call, "Homebrewer's Uncontrollable Enthusiasm". This condition comes about from buying new and undiscovered hops, opening the packet and deciding there and then that they must add them in large and frequent amounts.

After a while this becomes the norm and their megaswill mates truely believe they should probably bring around wine coolers for their homebrewer friend because his beer tastes like canned peaches.

I'm loving leaving hops out ATM. Just for bittering. Beer tastes like barley not flowers.

Surprised Tony has not chimed in, but his aussie ale is good, basic, but good. Ale malt, wheat malt, POR & US05. It's on the recipe DB.

Offer your megaswill mates three beers with any random malt profiles; hop two of them late and leave the third one with only a single 60+ minute addition.

Watch which one they go for after a few.

Not everyone likes fruit salad beer - I do, but I can't blame them.

I'm sure there's a condition I'd like to call, "Homebrewer's Uncontrollable Enthusiasm". This condition comes about from buying new and undiscovered hops, opening the packet and deciding there and then that they must add them in large and frequent amounts.

After a while this becomes the norm and their megaswill mates truely believe they should probably bring around wine coolers for their homebrewer friend because his beer tastes like canned peaches.

I'm loving leaving hops out ATM. Just for bittering. Beer tastes like barley not flowers.

Most of the beers I like to drink and to brew don't require excessive amounts of hopping. I like English and Belgian ales particularly and when I make something English I usually use only a single bittering addition.

I've enjoyed some of the hoppier beers I've tasted but I'm generally more a fan of malt driven styles.

Well said Nick

I've long been an opponent of the orange cloudy 120 IBU substance that passes for beer. To a great extent home brewing has been hijacked by the American/German/Belgian axis where more dunkel and more trappist and more Cascade is better. Fortunately UK Bitters and milds have provided a bit of a check to this process, especially the TTL fad of late which has dragged many brewers back to the idea that 35 IBU is actually quite acceptable. However 99 percent of the World's beer is a pleasant grainy pale pilsener, nicely fragrantly hopped to around 20 IBU and just the job to slake a thirst on a hot afternoon in Greece or Manila or Bribie Island. And nothing wrong with brewing such a beer if you enjoy it, as I do and have always done.

Back