Aussie beer brewed in China

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
In our house I have quite a few copied goods which have been made in China and one even has a label warning to beware of imitations, they are all as good as originals and a hell of a lot cheaper, so who is ripping off Joe Public the original brand producer, the copiers or both?
This is a good point but I think there is a good argument for wanting your money to go to another Australian and not some wealthy Chinese slave labourer. We pay more for Australian not because we are getting taken for a ride but because we actually pay people a reasonable sum for work :) So I think if you can afford to give an Australian more money than an importer less, you should support Australians :)

Sent using my Sony Xperia made in China listening to my music made in America on my headphones made in Taiwan.

The particular item I mentioned ( beware of imitations) cost me $12.50 wholesale made in China. The original to buy over here is $239, also made in China, the company having them manufactured would get them cheaper than I got the copies, a retailer would generally have a markup of no less than 100% so at the checkout the one getting screwed is the purchaser, but then again everyone has a right to charge as much as they can. That is how a lot of people have become rich, buying cheap goods from China, building up a brand name and charging a fortune.

Yeah that's the other thing, when people get stuff from China and sell it at made in Australia prices and screw literally everyone haha

wide eyed and legless said:
The particular item I mentioned ( beware of imitations) cost me $12.50 wholesale made in China. The original to buy over here is $239, also made in China, the company having them manufactured would get them cheaper than I got the copies, a retailer would generally have a markup of no less than 100% so at the checkout the one getting screwed is the purchaser, but then again everyone has a right to charge as much as they can. That is how a lot of people have become rich, buying cheap goods from China, building up a brand name and charging a fortune.
Then selling the business for a tidy sum

pcmfisher said:
What about Koala rice?
As far as I know we don't grow it here and pretend it is grown in China.

Do we brew Stella here and make out it comes from China?

Maybe my post wasn't very good.
No, but we brew Stella here and don't make it obvious it isn't brewed in Europe. My point was that this sort of stuff happens more often than we think and not just stuff imported from China

AndrewQLD said:
it does if you look at Stella Artois being brewed here under license, it's very difficult to tell the fully imported one from the one brewed here, until you taste it.
The fully imported Stella is usually the UK BUL version.
Has Belgium shut up shop?

Just out of interest, does anyone on the forum have an idea of the economics of doing this? Is shipping malt to china, brewing it there, then shipping it back actually cheaper than brewing it professionally here? Are there tax advantages to brewing overseas? I have a hard time imagining that running a brewery is that much cheaper in China, apart from labour (energy costs similar, water costs negligible). It's not a super labour intensive industry (on a large scale), is it?

I'm currently suckling a slab of Hooten Lager from Holland for $31. The real question is how it's so cheap to shunt water round the planet.

When I lived in China a 700 mm bottle of beer was $1.00 retail price, China makes 25% of the world's production, they do import their barley but use their own hops and I believe they have been recognising the best places to grow hops to increase their yield.
Packaging the beer would be cheaper in China, so I would say that China can produce the finished product cheaper than we could here.

China produce hops? Damn, we could save a fortune with a bulk buy. Who's in?

We can do the split up at my place. I hear the Marco Polo is stunning this season.

Bottles are made and imported cheaper to bring full of beer then empty.

I've only heard good things about Chinese hops. I'm in for 3kg.

In a small plant there will be operators for brewing qc depalletiser filler pasteuriser labeller cluster packer wrap around carton packer and palletiser ,forklift.
Then supervisor managers sales ect.
All at around 45k to 75k per year.
Rent, licenses taxes insurance, waste and water. It all adds up.
That's why people take a brand to an external packager and pay a fixed price per unit. Then you don't pay for f..k ups.
This is what I do. I take your idea and money and turn it into finished product.

tugger said:
In a small plant there will be operators for brewing qc depalletiser filler pasteuriser labeller cluster packer wrap around carton packer and palletiser ,forklift.
Then supervisor managers sales ect.
All at around 45k to 75k per year.
Rent, licenses taxes insurance, waste and water. It all adds up.
That's why people take a brand to an external packager and pay a fixed price per unit. Then you don't pay for f..k ups.
This is what I do. I take your idea and money and turn it into finished product.
Tugger is right, but large scale brewing is not about brewing, it is about Logistics.

I'd love to know how many $AUD75-100k logistics managers, truckies, warehouse managers let along over paid sales folks and thier would be marketers throughout the chain there are in China. I mean right through the chain.

Am not having a go at those in logistics, but you have to look at all the costs of growing, harvesting, storing and selling, modifying, moving it again, storing it, making it, moving it, storing it, trying to sell it, moving it and then hopefully someone getting lucky after half a skin full.

A country like Australia is expensive right up and down the chain, it all adds up. Sadly the making side just pales ...

Latest posts

Back