Asphalt Steam Roller For Grain?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does not Coopers crush their grist to flour-like consistency and reach +110% brewhouse efficiency?

Most (big) commercial breweries actually do this.

I reckon we would all do it if we had better lautering systems.

One point to the pillowcasers i guess...

ok you get 2 sheets of 10mm thick stainless steel 2metrex2metre.
now lift up your top sheet and collect grain and put into your mash tun.
Really? You're stronger than me!
Some calculator I found online suggested each sheet would weigh 328kg! http://www.stirlingsaustralia.com.au/appli...=88&lang=en

Even 2mm sheet would weigh over 65kg, apparently.

I would have thought that 2mm thick would be sufficiently thin enough so that you could flex the bottom sheet into a funnel to pour the grain into your mashtun but hey 65Kg + 5kg of grain - I am probably too whimpy for that too.

If stainless steel is priced at $1.00-1.50 per kg then at 10mm x 2 sheets that would be $656 - $984 worth of SS. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a grain mill? Even at 2mm that would be $131.20 - $196.60. That's about the range of a grain mill but you still need to procure a 'steam roller' - would it be available every brew day? Even if you dug holes in your road to make the road crew come back, the buggers would take six months to reappear - a man would die of thirst before they came back!!

Gosh you blokes are silly!
:ph34r:

Really? You're stronger than me!
Some calculator I found online suggested each sheet would weigh 328kg! http://www.stirlingsaustralia.com.au/appli...=88&lang=en

Even 2mm sheet would weigh over 65kg, apparently.

I would have thought that 2mm thick would be sufficiently thin enough so that you could flex the bottom sheet into a funnel to pour the grain into your mashtun but hey 65Kg + 5kg of grain - I am probably too whimpy for that too.

If stainless steel is priced at $1.00-1.50 per kg then at 10mm x 2 sheets that would be $656 - $984 worth of SS. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a grain mill? Even at 2mm that would be $131.20 - $196.60. That's about the range of a grain mill but you still need to procure a 'steam roller' - would it be available every brew day? Even if you dug holes in your road to make the road crew come back, the buggers would take six months to reappear - a man would die of thirst before they came back!!

Gosh you blokes are silly!
:ph34r:

2mm is too thin, you dont want flex as this would alter the crush. where there is a roller there is usually some lifting device like a crane, after all we are talking heavy industrial equipment here. what i gathered hes not buying equipment, it is already there(apart from ss sheets.) so id love to see some beer made this way....

No need to pay for a SS sheet, just use the big steel plates they use as temp covers over road works, the ones about 3m x 1.5m. Too heavy to lift? Simply hang them off the arm of the digger than is no doubt located conveniently next to the roller that you will be using. And if you really want to show off you could then tip the crushed grain into a traffic cone and funnel it into the mash esky.

An entirely feasible project methinks. After all,

Last edited by a moderator:
Most (big) commercial breweries actually do this.

I reckon we would all do it if we had better lautering systems.

One point to the pillowcasers i guess...

Pillowcaser? :huh:

tumblr_lmp7vk7tpN1qgqm7bo1_500.jpg

No need to pay for a SS sheet, just use the big steel plates they use as temp covers over road works, the ones about 3m x 1.5m. Too heavy to lift? Simply hang them off the arm of the digger than is no doubt located conveniently next to the roller that you will be using. And if you really want to show off you could then tip the crushed grain into a traffic cone and funnel it into the mash esky.

An entirely feasible project methinks. After all,

That is unreal. Think the chick was nervous? Nice rear end on the machine to.

Last edited by a moderator:
2mm is too thin, you dont want flex as this would alter the crush. where there is a roller there is usually some lifting device like a crane, after all we are talking heavy industrial equipment here. what i gathered hes not buying equipment, it is already there(apart from ss sheets.) so id love to see some beer made this way....

Ding!!! You Win!!!!

My mistake was I thought the drum was heated. I knew the asphalt was hot, but I was thinking one could make a proper gelatinized rolled grain from a raw state. Not just cracking a malt grain for mashing. The drum does get hot from being in contact with the bitumen. So at one point during a working day it would be possible.

Back