Asahi Super Dry.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
I've heard it described as the 'Budweiser of the East', and though it is a little benign flavor wise, I enjoyed a few last weekend enough to make me want to knock up a batch.

I'm still shithouse at guessing ingredients, but I'll have a shot. Please tell me what you think.

For 20L.

Pale malt - 3.5kg
Pilsner malt - 1kg
Rice- .500g

Hallertau 30 @ 60
Saaz 20 @ 30

Wyeast 2007.

IBU - 30
ABV - 5.01

I've heard it described as the 'Budweiser of the East', and though it is a little benign flavor wise, I enjoyed a few last weekend enough to make me want to knock up a batch.

I'm still shithouse at guessing ingredients, but I'll have a shot. Please tell me what you think.

For 20L.

Pale malt - 3.5kg
Pilsner malt - 1kg
Rice- .500g

Hallertau 30 @ 60
Saaz 20 @ 30

Wyeast 2007.

IBU - 30
ABV - 5.01

I reckon you'd want to add enzymes too into the ferment to get the FG right (less than 1.000 probably). Mash long and low either way.

For 20L.

Pale malt - 3.5kg
Pilsner malt - 1kg
Rice- .500g

Hallertau 30 @ 60
Saaz 20 @ 30

Wyeast 2007.

IBU - 30
ABV - 5.01

I reckon you only want about 20IBU for this clone.
I would go all pils malt, with rice and some plain sugar. About 250g should do it and will dry it out too.
yeast & hops (choice, not weight) look ok.
Mash @ 64C

Looks pretty good. Maybe more Pils, less ale? And maybe more rice?

I quite enjoy asahi and have tried to brew it a couple of times, but without coming too close. Found it too hard to get it to taste so crisp and clean, so gave up. Guess its hard to balance when there's so little to hide behind. I almost added some enzyme one time :eek:

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Would it be worth considering making ESBrewing's extract kit first and comparing the two in a triangle test?
It might help in figuring out what ingredients might be needed.
I was wanting to make an Asahi clone too.

http://www.esbrewing.com.au/featuredbrews/...ecipe-pack.html

Asahi Super Dry (Style Recipe Pack)
Type: Can Kit Recipe
Batch Size: 22 litres

Ingredients

1 x Morgans Bluemountain Lager
1 x ESB 1kg Extra Light Malt
1 x 1kg Rice Malt
1 x 12g Hallertau finishing hop
1 x 12g Saaz finishing hops
1 x Light Grain Enhancer 200g
1 x Saflager S-23 yeast

Beer Profile

Estimated Original Gravity : 1.053 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.010 FG
Estimaled Alcohol by Volume: 4.5-5%
Bitterness: 22-26 IBU
Estimated Colour: 51-59 EBC

Method
Bring 2L of water to the boil, add the grain infusion and steep with the heat off for 20 minutes.
Strain into your fermenter.
Add beer pack, all sugars and dry malts to above and stir vigorously to dissolve.
Top up to 22 Litres with cold water, the wort should be cool enough to pitch yeast and add finishing hops.
Brew at 18 to 24 degrees and age for approx 6 weeks.

People warned me not to use the dry beer enzyme when I was trying to make Asahi once. Foolishly I ignored them and gave it a go. Consider yourself warned :icon_vomit:

FYI - The "Clone Brews" book has recipes for Asahi and Kirin in it, I've made the Kirin a few times and prefer it to the original.

add the enzyme to the mash, not the ferment. and mash low

Maybe a step mash with a long 62c rest will help. I did 45mins at 62c for a koelsh, and I came down under 1.010, (1.007 I think ) and is light bodied and crisp. With the rice and sugar it might get lower.

Maybe a step mash with a long 62c rest will help. I did 45mins at 62c for a koelsh, and I came down under 1.010, (1.007 I think ) and is light bodied and crisp. With the rice and sugar it might get lower.

I thought step mashing was basically used for undermodified malts - or would that be the rice? Which also perhaps shows my depth of mashing knowledge.

My sophisticated esky & braid setup may not be ideal, but I'll have a go at it.

If only I could find an online calculator that wasn't imperial measurements..

Dave, i've only started playing around with them. They aren't that hard, and i also have an esky tun and keggle ( super bling bling!! ). if you have a stove handy, i just fill my HLT as normal, and also use a big ( 12-15 ) litre stock pot and use that for the boiling water additions. Oh, and don't worry about sparging volumes. I find that by the time i add enough boiling water to hit all steps, im at full sparge volume, then i just drain it all into the boiler. MAKE SURE you keep a note of how much boiling water goes in, or you'll oversparge, i've done this, nothing major, but when you end up 5 points short its a bit of a bummer, but im getting the hang of it now. There are some good post' here by experienced step mashers that are helpful. The koelsh i did ( 2 batches actually ) have been beautiful, light n crisp. Highly highly drinkable!, although im purposely keeping my keg for xmas, the long cc time really does help.

Cheers Mark

Seriously, i don't worry about calculators. After your first one ( record EVERYTHING! ), you'll have a good idea of how much you need to add etc

I thought step mashing was basically used for undermodified malts - or would that be the rice? Which also perhaps shows my depth of mashing knowledge.
Arguments for step mashing under modified malts is usually related to whether a protein rest (50c-55c) is required or not, or on the merits of decoction.

A 62c rest (give or take a few degrees) favours the beta amylase, which will make the wort more fermentable. The enzymes work slower at this lower temp though, so you'll want to leave it longer. And probably step it up to ~70c for a while to ensure all the starch is converted.

Step mashes are great when you want a dry beer with good body and head retention. Avoiding the late 60s zone where a lot of sweet, unfermentables are produced - but still having a decent rest in the early 70s for body.

Asahi Super Dry is fizzy beer-flavoured sake.

People warned me not to use the dry beer enzyme when I was trying to make Asahi once. Foolishly I ignored them and gave it a go. Consider yourself warned :icon_vomit:

FYI - The "Clone Brews" book has recipes for Asahi and Kirin in it, I've made the Kirin a few times and prefer it to the original.

+1, go the Clone Brews book for guidance.

As JD suggests this is a very mild watery lager. Drink one before you brew and you'll see.

14 IBU, cooked rice, pale malt, and carapils, then straight saaz. A protein rest at 50oC then dough in at 65.5oC. Lager yeast.

The authors clone beers for a living so I would be guided by that.

Hopper.

Its very hard to get a light bodied beer like this right. But when you do its a lot better than just watery beer!.

Asahi is a great beer, delicate not "watery". I really like what rice can add to a Pale Lager though I much prefer Asahi to Sapporo and I don't care for Bud at all - it's like sex on the beach.

I also use an esky with braided hose as my mash tun. I make a rice lager as my house brew and when it's good it's really good IMHO (1st in NSW Pale Lager 2010 placed in the nats). It needs some lagering (4-6 weeks) to settle out that yeast so be patient. No enzymes or step rests necessary, you can dry it out with a bit of sugar and a low mash temp but I like mine finishing a bit sweet at 1.012.

for 21L...

4kg Pilsen
250g Carapils
1kg Rice (gelatanized - boiled to goo)

Hallertauer at 60 minutes to 23IBU tinseth (30 rager)

Wy2308 Munich Lager

I mash at 65C and ferment at 10C

Asahi is a great beer, delicate not "watery".

Low hopping below 20IBU? nearly straight pils grain bill? Then bulked up with rice and a teeny bit of carapils that has little to no detectable flavour? Um yeah when you consider those ingredients it's watery. Even the saaz hopping is very neutral. One of the more neutral hops you can use.

It's particularly watery when by comparison you check the bulk of recipes on this website are over 30IBU with big aroma or moderate high alpha hops and use an ale yeast and a chunk of crystal.

That said I do like it and it has its place in the beerworld, but this drink is like Clark Kent. Pretty mild mannered.

Hopper.

I dare say they expect a lot of the flavour to come from the Super Secret Sumo Yeast they use.

For 20L.

Pale malt - 3.5kg
Pilsner malt - 1kg
Rice- .500g

Hallertau 30 @ 60
Saaz 20 @ 30

Wyeast 2007.

IBU - 30
ABV - 5.01

How did you go with this one? Im looking to do a similar recipe and possibly a stepped mash. Which way did you go in the end?

Latest posts

Back