Asahi Brew Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1975

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am trying out a Brewcraft Asahi Kit. The ingredients are as follows -

* 1 Can Brewmakers Lager
* #10 Brewbooster
* 500g Japanese Blond Malt
* Saaz finishing Hops
* Hersbruker Finishing Hops
* Saflager S-23

My question is can I ferment it in my fridge when the highest temp I can get it to is about 7 - 8 degrees? Will this be too low?

At worst I can ferment in the garage as the temps this time of year are no higher then 20deg.

Many thanks

Matt

The lowest end for a lager yeast that I've come across is 7 degrees. The brew inside the fermenter will generate heat as it ferments so it will be a bit hotter than the ambient temperature so I reckon 7-8 in your fridge will be ok. However lager yeasts are notoriously slow (and they should have included 2 packs with the kit) so you may need to start higher and drop. I'm not massively experienced with lagers (done a couple) so someone else should hopefully have more advice about pitching temp and reducing temp to fermentation levels over time, which is sometimes recommended.

You'll need a big starter if you're planning to ferment at 8C. It will take longer too, maybe 3 weeks in primary - I'd let the temp rise after 2 weeks.
Lower temp will produce a crisp, clean beer while the higher temp will give you a lot of fruity esters.

I would have thought an Asahi clone would have rice extract.

You'll need a big starter if you're planning to ferment at 8C. It will take longer too, maybe 3 weeks in primary - I'd let the temp rise after 2 weeks.
Lower temp will produce a crisp, clean beer while the higher temp will give you a lot of fruity esters.

I would have thought an Asahi clone would have rice extract.

Hi jakub76,

So you think i should stick it in the fridge for 2 weeks and then take it out and ferment at about 18 -20 for the remaining time?

The Malt extract is a Japanese blond malt that uses malted rice extract.

Cheers

Matt

Hi jakub76,

So you think i should stick it in the fridge for 2 weeks and then take it out and ferment at about 18 -20 for the remaining time?

The Malt extract is a Japanese blond malt that uses malted rice extract.

Cheers

Matt

pretty much, although perhaps you could just turn the fridge off rather than taking the fermenter out. 12.5C would be ideal but higher won't matter as much at that stage. I would do this after about 2 weeks when it seems the airlock activity is slowing. The idea is to keep the yeast active despite the lack of fermentable sugar. Once the sugar runs out they'll scavenge all of the diacetyl and other nasty by products they created when multiplying. Then after the airlock has been silent for a day or two check your SG and bottle.

pretty much, although perhaps you could just turn the fridge off rather than taking the fermenter out. 12.5C would be ideal but higher won't matter as much at that stage. I would do this after about 2 weeks when it seems the airlock activity is slowing. The idea is to keep the yeast active despite the lack of fermentable sugar. Once the sugar runs out they'll scavenge all of the diacetyl and other nasty by products they created when multiplying. Then after the airlock has been silent for a day or two check your SG and bottle.

Legend,

Will do

Latest posts

Back