Artificial Smoke Flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Anyone know where it can be bought....

has anyone used it....

I recall selling Liquid Smoke for a bit at the IGA I used to work at. Didn't sell very well, so we ditched it.
Actually used some in a beer once. Steeped some crystal in a few teaspoons. Very bacony, tasted a slight be artificial though.

Probably best off checking out one of those serious cooking shops, like the Essential Ingredient. They seem to have alot of those obscure ingredients.

got some on the way from here ...

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/BBQHQnet__W0QQ_armrsZ1

When I have given it a run I will report back.

I wonder if you could use it in beer....?? I have a scotch ale I just brewed that I did not use any smoked malt in... I will do an in glass test with the liquid smoke once it arrives.

got some on the way from here ...
When I have given it a run I will report back.
I wonder if you could use it in beer....?? I have a scotch ale I just brewed that I did not use any smoked malt in... I will do an in glass test with the liquid smoke once it arrives.

they usually have vinegar in it so i'd give it amiss from using in beer. ;)

A vegan friend gave me a plastic squeeze bottle of liquid smoke last year, it's about 150ml. I used it once in a ham and pea soup but not really interested as I don't like smoke, Rauchbeer tastes like an ashtray to me.

Send me a post pack and it's yours.

cheers

:)

Try USAfoods.com.au we buy a lot of the stuff we miss from when we lived there. Try the franks red hot sauce, oven roast chicken wings and toss the wings in the red hot sauce when they are really crispy. Buffalo wings, yeah!

they usually have vinegar in it so i'd give it amiss from using in beer. ;)

Depends how much - phenolics are shitloads more flavour active than acetic acid so its easily feasible that you could use plenty to taste the smoke but still fall way short of enough to taste the vinegar.

I'll try it - then we'll know for sure.

Depends how much - phenolics are shitloads more flavour active than acetic acid so its easily feasible that you could use plenty to taste the smoke but still fall way short of enough to taste the vinegar.

I'll try it - then we'll know for sure.

hopefully into a glass before a whole keg. :ph34r:

The stuff is pretty intense, kind of like how vanilla essence/extract is. It smells excessively of smoke and if you try and taste it concentrated, it tastes like licking carbonised meat from a BBQ. Although its awesome to add to pea and ham soup for extra smoke flavour or a home made bbq sauce! :icon_drool2:

hopefully into a glass before a whole keg. :ph34r:

The stuff is pretty intense, kind of like how vanilla essence/extract is. It smells excessively of smoke and if you try and taste it concentrated, it tastes like licking carbonised meat from a BBQ. Although its awesome to add to pea and ham soup for extra smoke flavour or a home made bbq sauce! :icon_drool2:

Try a few shakes into hamburger mix with garlic & onions whilst making hamburgers for the grill too! Awesome.

Try a few shakes into hamburger mix with garlic & onions whilst making hamburgers for the grill too! Awesome.

Everytime i think of liquid smoke i beg for a nice warm evening with a cool breeze and sucking back some icy cold HB's + some bbq'd meats. :D

i also purchased some form the queensland vegetarian and vegan society a number of years back when they were the only online supplier i could track down.

i purchased 2 x 125ml bottles.
i still have around 230 mls left - its powerful stuff.

Liquid Smoke Link

cheers
j

Latest posts

Back