Article on rain water tank safety

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Giardia. See without even knowing that how does it get into your mums tank water? Like I mentioned its surprising how many dog chewed bones I've removed from my gutters thanks to Crows. I sometimes here them rolling down the roof into the gutters after Crows have lost their interest in them. The odd road kill too, small skeletons. Gut parasites! I wont take that risk. Even if i was desperate there is that haunting thought in the back of my mind. Along with all the decomposed possum turds and bird shit etc... Probably all nothing to worry about though.
Just brew with it. FFS

It can only add to the flavour.......

When it comes to rainwater and bacteria, if it survives the mash, boil and time in a roaring hot cube, then maybe it deserves to live.
Saw VII

Don't forget fermentation drops ph which kills some micro flora too

Just brew with it. FFS

It can only add to the flavour.......
Brewing has no worries. Its a massive process. I was just thinking in general drinking terms. I drink lots of water. I cringe a little to drinking my tank water as is unless desperate. Like post apocalyptic desperate.

Brewing has no worries. Its a massive process. I was just thinking in general drinking terms. I drink lots of water. I cringe a little to drinking my tank water as is unless desperate. Like post apocalyptic desperate.
Weenie! Just drink it.

Possum shit and piss tea! with chewed dog bones and crows filth. Pollution fall out. Anaerobic bacterial activity. Nup!
Given I have small tank capacity so its more concentrated.

Giardia. See without even knowing that how does it get into your mums tank water? Like I mentioned its surprising how many dog chewed bones I've removed from my gutters thanks to Crows. I sometimes here them rolling down the roof into the gutters after Crows have lost their interest in them. The odd road kill too, small skeletons. Gut parasites! I wont take that risk. Even if i was desperate there is that haunting thought in the back of my mind. Along with all the decomposed possum turds and bird shit etc... Probably all nothing to worry about though.
I hope there's nothing to worry about as I've been using/drinking rainwater for around 66 years. No filters, no chlorine or UV stuff. The only time I got crook from water was when I had to live in town for a few months [Kerang]. The only thing I have noticed is that I need to add a little water hardener to the brew otherwise it's a little sweet.

Latest posts

Back