Are You A Glad Wrapper ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geepers - I posted as a throw away comment, certainly got some backs up! :huh:

Can't see the point of using gladwrap unless you lose your lid....

I removed the rubber seals long ago, & use the airlock hole to hang a thermowell into the wort so i can control its temperature accurately.
Would love to see a glad wrapper fitting a blow off tube B)

Cheers Ross

Advantages of Gladwrap lid

1) dont need to wash the lid (just throw away)
2) can see how the wort is fermenting without removing the lid ( for those who have that obsessive compulsive disorder of checking every five hours )
3) If you pick up the fermenter to move it the liquid in the airlock dont suck back into the wort .
4) no need to fiddle around with air lock .
5) if the liquid dries up in the airlock flies do not get in .
6) inexpensive
7) clean enough not to sterilise( I think)
8) recyclable ,(if you are careful you can reuse to wrap you sandwiches you take to work)

Pumpy :)

1) dont need to wash the lid (just throw away)
2) can see how the wort is fermenting without removing the lid ( for those who have that obsessive compulsive disorder of checking every five hours )
3) If you pick up the fermenter to move it the liquid in the airlock dont suck back into the wort .
6) inexpensive
8) recyclable ,(if you are careful you can reuse to wrap you sandwiches you take to work)

Pumpy :)

Number 2
I love to watch the ferment happen,and it a good learning curve for new brewers.
You should try it Ross :p

Batz

I aerate my wort by rocking/shaking the fermenter, not sure how I would do that without a lid .....

I aerate my wort by rocking/shaking the fermenter, not sure how I would do that without a lid .....

Do it with the lid,you then pitch the yeast and use the glad wrap.Your not shaking the fermenter through fermentation are you?
I no chill with the lid then do as above.

Batz

Do it with the lid,you then pitch the yeast and use the glad wrap.Your not shaking the fermenter through fermentation are you?
I no chill with the lid then do as above.

Batz

Only reason I mentioned that is because I saw people listing that they didn't need to clean the lid as a positive. I would still need to clean the lid.

I might try this out just so I can watch the fermentation process. Usually I just screw on the lid and then back if off half a turn so that its not a perfect seal. My lids don't have airlock holes in them.

Can't see the point of using gladwrap unless you lose your lid....

I removed the rubber seals long ago, & use the airlock hole to hang a thermowell into the wort so i can control its temperature accurately.
Would love to see a glad wrapper fitting a blow off tube B)

Cheers Ross

+1

I overfill my fermenters once in a while & use my blow off tube whenever I need to.
I chill my wort & don't trust no-chill anytime ---- No responses from you No-Chillers please.
239_fishing.gif

HITBH do you manage to use a blow off tube with gladwrap?

TP :beer:

+1

I overfill my fermenters once in a while & use my blow off tube whenever I need to.
I chill my wort & don't trust no-chill anytime ---- No responses from you No-Chillers please.
239_fishing.gif

HITBH do you manage to use a blow off tube with gladwrap?

TP :beer:

I don't overfill Pete.
My batch size fits my kegs with none let over,if beersmith is set correctly you should not over fill or need a blow off tube.
I've been brewing 30 years and never needed a blow off tube yet.I do use 30 lt fermenters.

Batz

I use glad wrap on one fermenter when i put them in the fridge as i can fit 2 fermenters in the fridge one above another but the top one has to be glad wraped as i can not put a air lock on with the lid. But out of the fridge i use the lid

1) dont need to wash the lid (just throw away) -
2) can see how the wort is fermenting without removing the lid ( for those who have that obsessive compulsive disorder of checking every five hours ) -
6) inexpensive

1) Fair Call - but ref your point 8
2) you all must be old and need glass's cause i can see whats happening through my clear lid that came with the fermenter - old fermenters used to come with black lids, most are clear these days
3) just take the airlock out, beers protected by a layer of co2 anyways
4) shouldnt be fiddling with it anyways
5) Fair Call
6) Not as inexpensive as the lid that you paid for with the fermenter
7) hope you dont have infections flying around in your air at home
8) are you for real? the ultimate tight ass move! (plus its not like you throw out the lid everytime is it

nah i dont really know tho diff strokes for diff folks innit.

I just use the fermenter lid it came with (and its clear too).
Can certainly see benefits in both, but if I'm washing the fermenter, I may as well wash the lid and use it too...

I am a Glad Wrapper

Do know if this poll has been done before ?

pumpy :)
I don't. I paid for lids and I'm gonna get my money's worth out of them.

Having said that, I fit the lid very loosely during primary, to ensure lack of back-pressure on the wort. Then the lid is tightened or clipped on (depending on which style of lid, of course) for secondary.

It works for me, although when I was starting out as a homebrewer and brewing with a mate, he always used "cling wrap" (successfully).

I just use the fermenter lid it came with (and its clear too).
Can certainly see benefits in both, but if I'm washing the fermenter, I may as well wash the lid and use it too...

My fermenter lids are well clearish,as opposed to not being able to see through them at all.They let light through but I certainly can't see what happening without glad wrap.I do brew in a chest freezer so I am looking down a my babies.

Batz

Now I'm getting into liquid yeasts like my current Wyeast West Yorkshire Bitter I'm planning to do a series of AG Pommy real ale style brews I wonder about even using lids and gladwrap, at least during primary. In the UK top fermenting beer is traditionally fermented in open squares:

13078928.AYorkshireSquare.JPG

The point is, by confining the brew to a headspace of pure CO2, does this affect the final flavour of the beer in any way? Our resident UK style Brewers like Butters might have a point of view on this?

I was thinking of getting some fine cloth like muslin, or even some more Swiss Voile used for BIAB, from Spotlight and doing a test brew with a cloth 'hat' secured with a large rubber band in primary, allowing some interaction between the headspace and the atmosphere, and then racking to secondary for a week into a lidded fermenter as an 'analogue' of the ale going into the cask, fined, spiled and delivered to the pub cellar for resting - and then bottling and drinking young, as soon as clear and carbed.

The question is, of the the glad wrappers, how many sterilise the gladwrap or use as is?

I do approximately 50/50 clingwrap vs airlock but I wonder if I should be sterilising my wrap?

Q

You would think Glad Wrap is sterile as its used for food handling

Do you sterilize it before you wrap tucker in it to be stored for a few days?

Batz

I have been using glad wrap - but recently have collected a bunch of the shower caps you get for free in hotels... gladwrap with a built in rubber band.

And yes, I sanitise the gladwrap/shower cap in case this happens

IMG_1898.JPG

In my early day of brewing 30+ years ago, it was normal practice just to put a damp tea towel over the fermenter. No air locks, no glad wrap, no rubber bands. I do not recall having any infections.
I use an air lock now, but for no particular reason other that why not, its no hassle.

In my early day of brewing 30+ years ago, it was normal practice just to put a damp tea towel over the fermenter. No air locks, no glad wrap, no rubber bands. I do not recall having any infections.
I use an air lock now, but for no particular reason other that why not, its no hassle.

And in a plastic rubbish bin that nobody cared or knew if it was food grade or not!

Batz

Back