Are You A Glad Wrapper ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, and I guess that means we ditch glass ferms and go back to plastic. Stuff airlocking anything. Stop chilling my beer. Go into cubes. Start mashing in a bag. Stop racking off the top. Forget starters. Definitely skip secondary for any reason.. too much work. Skip cold conditioning... etc. etc.

787_flame_thrower_gun.gif
move forward :blink: :p

Slack reVox... You forgot a phloating mash :lol:

Warren -

I just started using GladWrap.

Do people put one or two layers on?

Do you need to put a pin hole in it?

Youngy

Do people put one or two layers on?

Do you need to put a pin hole in it?
No hole required - the co2 finds it own way out

Single layer is adequate

One of my fermenters has an opening that is too big for ordinary width glad wrap to be secured with an o-ring

On this one I use 2 overlapping pieces to seal

Being clingy it seals itself at the overlap

Cheers

used glad wrap when i was K&K but stopped when i started AG
i might go back to it but its easier than lids to clean up (chuck it in the bin)

do you seal it with the original lid seal or a rubber band or something else?

used glad wrap when i was K&K but stopped when i started AG
i might go back to it but its easier than lids to clean up (chuck it in the bin)

do you seal it with the original lid seal or a rubber band or something else?

Kleiny, i use the O ring that comes with the lid

Rook

I am doing my first gladwrap on a secondary racked beer, using the O ring to hold it on.

I felt kind of exposed at first, like not wearing any underpants, but now am getting used to the idea.

I'm glad wrapper,depending on yeast choice and headspace :icon_cheers:

I cling wrap everything.

Have you seen Bad Boy Bubby?

Scott

Slack reVox... You forgot a phloating mash :lol:

Warren -

Surely that would be a PhloATing mash?

I am a cling wrap convert - brought a roll (500M) of extra wide from a caterers suppliers for $25 - is going to last for a while.

RM

What do you do if you have a yeast that could climb everest faster than a speeding bullet and wants to explore the floor in you brew area?

I ofter have yeasts that want to climb out of the firmenter and require a blow off tube. Do you just let it make a mess?

I have ditched the dodgy rubber bing/airlock on my starter flask for glad wrap but i dred the day the yeast climbs to the top.

cheers

What do you do if you have a yeast that could climb everest faster than a speeding bullet and wants to explore the floor in you brew area?

I ofter have yeasts that want to climb out of the firmenter and require a blow off tube. Do you just let it make a mess?

I have ditched the dodgy rubber bing/airlock on my starter flask for glad wrap but i dred the day the yeast climbs to the top.

cheers

I use a 5L carboy for my starters (usually no more than a couple of Litres of wort at a time) so theres heaps of head space. I do have a smaller bottle (~1.5L) but I ALWAYS sanitise the glad wrap and only do one step in this one. Once the starter is under way it goes in the big bottle and I give it heaps of room.

Never use glad wrap in my fermenters though - god help you if you need a blow off tube emergency :eek: especially in weizen brewing weather. I have come home from work a few times and gone "ohhh, FFS!"

I'm usually a glad-wrapper except when fermenting Hefeweizens and Wits, and also when using my pail fermenter (standard glad wrap doesn't fit over in one sheet).

I've had 3 glad wrap beers hit the glad wrap and ooze yeast and crap out the side... what a mess. One was a Hefeweizen, one was a Wit, and the other was a beer with little headroom, Nottingham yeast and a little too much temperature! In each case I just cleaned up, put a lid on with a blowoff tube and there was no problems.

cheers,

Andrei

Latest posts

Back