Are We A Nation Of Beer Snobs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With 'craft beer' (whatever that means) representing only 2% (that's including the big "little guys" - Little Creatures, Matilda Bay etc..) I think it's a bit of wishful thinking..... lets hope the times keep changing.

Australian beer drinkers are snobs, all most people drink is commercial lagers and refuse to open up to beer with any form of flavour

I agree as well especially VB drinkers... you wouldn't believe how much I have to put up with at work when we run out of vb they get annoyed and no matter how hard you try they don't want anything else. It is obviously just a status symbol for bogans :p

When I used to smoke Winfields I thought that Marlboros tasted like complete shit. Then when traveling I started smoking Marlboros because they were ubiquitous.

Then I had a Winfield - tasted like crap.

Now, since I don't smoke. They all taste like crap. I find it difficult to believe I ever thought one "tasted" better than the other.

Thus ends the lesson on why people drink VB. They're fools with an "acquired" taste. No one likes the "anti-smoker" pain in the arse at the pub with their holier-than-thou critique. Are we that person, with beer?

And is it true that VB gives you arse cancer? Most of the drinkers of it seem to lack the anal-retentive qualities of craftbeer coniseuirs.

Yeh i agree there but it doesn't excuse them for being more rude than anyone else and always seem to use inappropriate language...... :huh:

When I used to smoke Winfields I thought that Marlboros tasted like complete shit. Then when traveling I started smoking Marlboros because they were ubiquitous.

Now, since I don't smoke. They all taste like crap. I find it difficult to believe I ever thought one "tasted" better than the other.

:icon_offtopic:

Ahh, but Peter Stuyvesant's......now we're talking.

I actually gave up the smokes (apart from poker nights....) but i did love those when i was a little bit younger.

back on topic:

Hi, My name is Nathan, and i'm a beer snob......

Thus ends the lesson on why people drink VB. They're fools with an "acquired" taste. No one likes the "anti-smoker" pain in the arse at the pub with their holier-than-thou critique. Are we that person, with beer?

And is it true that VB gives you arse cancer? Most of the drinkers of it seem to lack the anal-retentive qualities of craftbeer coniseuirs.

I'm all for people drinking vb/carlton/tooheys en masse. The more mass produced beer the proprietor of my local bottle shop sells the greater her ability to stock a myriad of great beers from around the world.

Do the people who drink commercial beer have taste in their ass? Well I like country music so it's all relative I guess.

JD

In defence of the mega-swill (shock, horror), I have been known to drink a box of VB/Draught/Melb Bitter whatever on fishing or yabbying trips when the mercury is over 40. It does serve its purpose served ice cold as a thirst quenching alcohol provider.

Do I choose to drink one at home on a regular basis - hell no !!! Do I slip into the pub to sneak a couple on the way home - hell no !!!!

Young female drinkers in particular are vocal about the beer's perceived shortcomings. "I have drunk it, but VB is basically seen as a bogan beer," said one. "You really wouldn't buy one unless you had to."

Another added: "You don't want to be seen drinking a VB."

I would submit that young female drinkers aren't a particularly a reliable source of what makes for a decent beverage.
Raspberry cruiser anyone?

Or are they?

Last edited by a moderator:
It really gets my goat that you cannt go to a local pub and get a good beer, your options are lager or water, and people only drink draught, because they don't like lager... Oh and have a crownie mate were celebrating, and how the he'll is 4.6% considered full strength? Does the rest of the world just laugh at us? It's embarrassing! End rant

Challenge.

Next time you hear a lady say she doesnt like beer.
Pour her the hoppiest, aromatic IPA or pale ale you have in the nicest, tall and patterned beer glass you have.
I reckon you will convert over 50% of these 'dont like beer' ladies overnight.

Women's drinking habits are different to men.
They will generally only drink something if it is tasty.
Bag out the cruisers all you want, but they do just taste like sweet soft drink.

Give a lady an attractive drink that is aromatic and tasty, and she will happily drink it.

Nah well spain at least is the same here it normally only one beer on tap and its a pale vb type lager.

I wish there were a few more beer snobs around then I could get a few decent beers on tap in every bar

Latest posts

Back