Are We A Nation Of Beer Snobs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wont even try to convert a mate to a LCPA or the like if they have already had one sip of VB or the like.
Waste of time.

Got to get them to try it from a fresh start.

+1 SB

My missus has began to deplete my stocks of hoppy beer because I set her up with the above. The bitterness gets to them though. Flavour and aroma are the things that the women I know like but when it is coupled with bitternes they seem to struggle somewhat.

I have to say I struggled with bitterness early in my beer career but now crave it.

+1 SB

My missus has began to deplete my stocks of hoppy beer because I set her up with the above. The bitterness gets to them though. Flavour and aroma are the things that the women I know like but when it is coupled with bitternes they seem to struggle somewhat.

I have to say I struggled with bitterness early in my beer career but now crave it.

Women do have different taste preferences to men (on average), they have a greater preference for sweet (hence the chocolate thing we have). Though not really an intolerance to bitterness (though that is an acquired taste, and women don't feel obliged to force down swillish beer when young like men do).

Women can and will drink 'good beer' though, possibly not the same styles. Since trying my first mild, then bitter (already a fan of porters and northern english browns), I wonder that we serve so few English styles over here. So damn tasty!

On the whole Beer Snob thing. I hope we can be a nation that drinks and appreciate craft beer without actually becoming beer snobs. It'd be great if the product called beer could improve in quality and variety without everyone having to become a wanker. I'm not a fan of wine or wine drinkers and would hate for that culture to infiltrate the beer / pub world.

My lady loves bitterness and is probably more into APAs than I am.

Also agree with your assessment above MB (although I enjoy wine too)

My Mrs loves the clove/bubblegum of Belgium wits(thats where shes from) and German wheats,not a fan of the big Hoppy beers(im working on it!)
I think our palates are changing as we get to try and experience different beers

I remember back when I was a swill drinker I loved malty beers but couldn't stand hoppy beer, like real APA's for example then tasted stronger than a double IPA tastes to me now. However my wife always liked them. It's weird how things change. Now a days I'd consider IPA a session beer and double IPA's preferable on all but the hottest days.

people only drink draught, because they don't like lager...

Draught isn't a "style" of beer as such. I believe it's a term more to do with how it is served or the vessel it is being served from. It's just become acceptable to the mainstream that Carlton Draught, West End Draught etc.. are in someway "different" and consumers think that the term Draught indicates a style of beer.

Marketing works in mysterious ways...

In case you were unaware, Carlton is a lager, West End is a lager, Crownies are lagers.

On the whole Beer Snob thing. I hope we can be a nation that drinks and appreciate craft beer without actually becoming beer snobs. It'd be great if the product called beer could improve in quality and variety without everyone having to become a wanker. I'm not a fan of wine or wine drinkers and would hate for that culture to infiltrate the beer / pub world.

Agreed, although I have noticed a little bit of wankery in a few of the circles I travel in and I've probably been guilty of it from time to time myself.

Perhaps it is our duty to educate the masses instead of turning our noses up some of the "more popular" beers?

snip... and women don't feel obliged to force down swillish beer when young like men do

snip...

Totally agree... and if more women started drinking tastier beer through having greater access at pubs and clubs etc. that would lead to more men drinking the good stuff.

You're never going to break that stupid following mentality that guys have, unless you insert the opposite sex in there with enticement.

edit:
Draught isn't a "style" of beer as such. I believe it's a term more to do with how it is served or the vessel it is being served from. It's just become acceptable to the mainstream that Carlton Draught, West End Draught etc.. are in someway "different" and consumers think that the term Draught indicates a style of beer.

Marketing works in mysterious ways...

In case you were unaware, Carlton is a lager, West End is a lager, Crownies are lagers.

I think he was highlighting the irony

Young female drinkers in particular are vocal about the beer's perceived shortcomings. "I have drunk it, but VB is basically seen as a bogan beer," said one. "You really wouldn't buy one unless you had to."

Another added: "You don't want to be seen drinking a VB."

I would submit that young female drinkers aren't a particularly a reliable source of what makes for a decent beverage.
Raspberry cruiser anyone?

Or are they?

Hahaha been years since i've heard that one!

As far as Australia becoming a nation of beer snobs, unlikely to happen with craft beer, but when you think about snobbery - have you ever handed a staunch VB drinker a stubbie of New/Carlton and watch their face scrunch up and say something along the lines of "What's this shit!?" "New, get that shit away from me, I asked for a real beer."? Is that not a form of snobbery within itself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, although I have noticed a little bit of wankery in a few of the circles I travel in and I've probably been guilty of it from time to time myself.

Perhaps it is our duty to educate the masses instead of turning our noses up some of the "more popular" beers?

A "wanker" is in the eye of the beholder. I regularly turn my nose up at ordinary beer and am not afraid of telling people that i prefer "better" beer. But I'm not sure my mates think I'm a wanker. They know I'm an afficionado of well made, flavoursome beer. however, if there is free VB on offer and there is no alternative other than light beer, cheap wine and softdink, I will go the VB every time.

Cheers - Snow

A "wanker" is in the eye of the beholder. I regularly turn my nose up at ordinary beer and am not afraid of telling people that i prefer "better" beer. But I'm not sure my mates think I'm a wanker. They know I'm an afficionado of well made, flavoursome beer. however, if there is free VB on offer and there is no alternative other than light beer, cheap wine and softdink, I will go the VB every time.

Cheers - Snow

Then you're definitely not a wanker.

A wanker would be someone that has one sip of beer, then says "I am getting goose berries on the pallet" and shit like that, then spits it out into a bucket and goes on to the next beer. **** that shit.

I'll go soft drink or water.

In fact I drank water at the Melbourne cup, rather than free megaswill.

I think snobbery is just as much a bogan trait (as they'll stick to their brand fiercely), as it is a beer nerd trait. In fact a beer nerd will drink more different types and brands of beer than most - it's just that they tend to eschew mainstream beer as much as possible.

Goomba

I'll go soft drink or water.

I'm the same... if i don't like it why would i drink it? If it's a particular flavour of soft drink i don't enjoy, i won't have that either, or if the water is low quality... none for me thanks. I don't subscribe to the idea that i have to have a drink of something just because it's on offer.

SWMBO's old professor from Deakin Geelong was up here during the week and came round for dinner and I plied her with a couple of glasses of a simple SMASH with (new season) Chinese Saaz - being the nearest thing I had on tap to "real" beer. :rolleyes: she loved it and emailed us when she got home and said I'd just about converted her from Chardonnay to Beer :p

(Notorious drunken professor seen mooning cars in Moorabool Street) :ph34r:

One good point about Bribie Island is that with the oldest population demographic in Australia, the pubs and clubs all have Tooheys New or Carlton Black on tap. I find the Carlton a bit one dimensional, I guess it's brewed as a lager. Otherwise it would be a true beer desert over here.

A wanker would be someone that has one sip of beer, then says "I am getting goose berries on the pallet" and shit like that, then spits it out into a bucket and goes on to the next beer. **** that shit.
SACRE BLEU!! Everyone knows bitterness is best enjoyed at the rear of the pallet. What kind of phillestine would spit it out?!

could it also be that if you want to enjoy your beer by gargling it, commenting on how it tastes like gooseberries on the pallate and spitting it out into a bucket - only a snob would tell you that you shouldn't be enjoying your beer the way you want to?

I had a big discussion with a wine snob friend of mine about how I find it ironic that there is a huge "wine culture" where people discuss the nuances of subtle differences in two wines or years ... but the winemaker actually has very little control over the wine they make compared with a brewer.

Ya gets the grapes, squash 'em and ya throw the yeast at the juice. Done - how the wine comes out (assuming the winemaker knows his mettle) is largely up to the God of Weather and Soil.

But a brewer sits there and thinks ... hmmm, which one of 40 spec malts shall I add to tweak it slightly with that mash temp and those hops that are going to emphasise the aroma because I'm going to up the carbonation level by a bit?

The snobs SHOULD be beer snobs. Wine is created with a one dimensional process.

I think this is interesting that others have had the same experience as me. When i first started brewing i used to keep the cider stocked up for the ladies. HOwever i quickly found that if i could get one of my lady friends to smell the beer they would more than likely have a taste and then another glass.

The best one to get girls to drink my beer is probably my stone and wood clone. NOt too bitter, smells and tastes like passion fruit and the high wheat content makes it pretty easy on the stomach (no bloating).

I've probably found it easier to get my female friends to enjoy my beer than my male friends. Some of my male mates still won't drink my beer, so i keep a keg of lager in there at all times. Its cheap and easy to make and is a crowd pleaser for the 'non-snobs'.* The first time i made it i kept getting "wow mate, this tastes just like REAL beer'.

As for beer snobs, i think its great... if its actually happening. If people turn their nose up at swill then maybe there'll be a larger selection of good beer. I don't think Australia is at risk of becoming a beer snob nation. The best beer i can get on tap at my two locals is coopers pale ale, and thats only at one of them.

Challenge.

Next time you hear a lady say she doesnt like beer.
Pour her the hoppiest, aromatic IPA or pale ale you have in the nicest, tall and patterned beer glass you have.
I reckon you will convert over 50% of these 'dont like beer' ladies overnight.

Women's drinking habits are different to men.
They will generally only drink something if it is tasty.
Bag out the cruisers all you want, but they do just taste like sweet soft drink.

Give a lady an attractive drink that is aromatic and tasty, and she will happily drink it.

Latest posts

Back