Are Mongolian Burners Still Sooty On Low Flame?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently researching natural gas burners for a "wok stove" that I wish to build. Whilst not for brewing beer, you guys seem to be the only forums who seem to discuss high power gas burners.

I've read threads on this forum (from 2004/2005) where people have complained that the Mongolian burners burn with a yellow flame (which then results in a sooty underside) when the gas is turned right down. Is this still the case?

I'd like to have a bit of range on this stove. I was thinking of the 23 jet Mongolian burner for the highest output on full whack, but am thinking about scenarios where I want medium/low heat. However, I think even using the 10 jet model would produce a yellow flame on low gas flow?

Anyone able to comment?

Cheers

Alex

I dont know - but I am interested in your "wok stove" got pics or a drawing?

not as of yet. I've got ideas in my head. Basically taking ideas from rigs I've seen here to boil pots/kegs etc and adapting for a wok, making sure it's at a good height for stirfrying.

Hey all,

I'm currently researching natural gas burners for a "wok stove" that I wish to build. Whilst not for brewing beer, you guys seem to be the only forums who seem to discuss high power gas burners.

I've read threads on this forum (from 2004/2005) where people have complained that the Mongolian burners burn with a yellow flame (which then results in a sooty underside) when the gas is turned right down. Is this still the case?

I'd like to have a bit of range on this stove. I was thinking of the 23 jet Mongolian burner for the highest output on full whack, but am thinking about scenarios where I want medium/low heat. However, I think even using the 10 jet model would produce a yellow flame on low gas flow?

Anyone able to comment?

Cheers

Alex
regarding the yellow flame/sooting i reckon the problem there is the "wok" is too close to the flame,try lifting the wok higher so the tip of the flame is about 5mm below the heating surface/base of the wok,or close to the tip of the blue part of the flame,could also be due to not enough oxygen getting to the flame.
no doubt someone here will have more info ...cheers..spog....

thanks for the tip .. I haven't actually bought one yet, just asking whether people still experienced sooty pots after a low flame. I found some threads on here from a few years back but haven't heard anything since.

Hey all,

Anyone able to comment?

Cheers

Alex

I use the 23 jet LPG and if I turn the flame to low, yes it does leave blooky sooty shit over the bottom of the pot. The pot is not that close to the flame, around 75mm. Can't see why it would be any different with a natural gas burner. But I do love my mongolian for those big 85ltr boils. Reckon it could easily do 100+

Cheers
BYB

burner.JPG

they will always be dirty as the need high speed gas to suck in the air.. you should try and build a forced air burner like i use for my still and boil kettle.

it burns clean no matter how high or low you set it..

the "almost" finished burner:

the prototype:

Last edited by a moderator:
ive never had my mongolian soot up as described here , and i run a second hand unknown quantity BBQ regulator on it

they will always be dirty as the need high speed gas to suck in the air.. you should try and build a forced air burner like i use for my still and boil kettle.

it burns clean no matter how high or low you set it..

the "almost" finished burner:

the prototype:

sorry i ment to say will always run dirty at low settings, they are ment to be HOT, not to have fine control

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the burner described (23 jet, natural gas), and it burns very cleanly. I haven't used it to brew with yet (first time will be tomorrow), but there has been no sign of soot whatsoever during testing, at any flame setting. I'm very pleased with it. The flame is controlled by a ball valve which is connected between the burner and the regulator for NG, apparently for LPG an adjustable regulator can be used.

Steve.

apparently for LPG an adjustable regulator can be used.

Steve.

If that is the case my burner must be a dud. I have tried using two different types of adjustable reg's that I have and neither work. My mongolian will only work on the normal type barby reg and shit does it burn. (as you will see in my earlier post)

BYB

Yep, Mine soots on low too. Apparently some people have put bolts in some of the jet holes to stop the problem (I think it was Asher)

cheers

Darren

yep as stated earlier they are designed to run flat out.

I used my Mongolian burner for the first time yesterday, and I was very pleased with the results. I ran it at low flame for a while when approaching strike temperature, the flame yellowed, but there was only a fine coating of soot on the bottom of the kettle, which wiped off with a sponge. I took some pictures so you can see my setup:

The complete setup:
IMG_0409.jpg

A close up of the regulator:
IMG_0411.jpg

Heating up the strike water:
IMG_0354.jpg

Cheers, Steve.

I have a 23 jet on NG and it does soot on low flame, but nothing excessive. I shoot it off at cleanup with the garden sprayer or as you say, a simple wipe with sponge, rinse and it's fine.

The only time it played issue in my brewday was at a hardware change (was experimenting with false buttoms and my plate chiller clogged). With focus on the stuck chiller, general frustration coupled with not caring about the sooted bottom, I lifted my kettle for dump into fermenter(s) and completely ruined a new white t-shirt.. had soot over my arms and face when wiping forehead, knees of pants, etc. Came into the house and the wife laughed her ass off at my appearance. Was one of those brew days :lol: .

reVox

thanks for all your comments guys.. I have ordered a 23 jet NG burner from Grain and Grape. Found a place locally where I can buy the 1/2" piping, fittings and ball valve so will eagerly wait for it to arrive so I can put it all together! Just need to source a regulator, hose to bayonet and a stand and should be sweet!

My 32 jet burner just arrived from Grain & Grape and I must say, I wasn't expecting it would be so BIG!! It looks impressive and I can't wait to see how it goes this weekend. Will be sure to post results.

Furthermore, just a thought...

Rather than adjusting the gas flow for flame/temp, what about an adjustable tray for the burner to sit on? You could leave it running flat out or at a level that doesn't produce soot and then lower it from the base of the boiler when required.

Hi, Mongolian burners are designed to run flat out. Each burner has it own injecter and aeration port, reducing the gas flow restricts the air gas ratio hense a sooty flame. If you find your burner is touch hot for your needs de-tune it by removing a number of the burners and pluging the holes with bolts and sealant.
A good starting point is to remove the centre 4 burners and you will find it perfect. On a point of safety mongolian burners should be used inconjunction with a pilot light and flame fail device. I use a mongolian burner and it is my burner of choice. Cheers

Back