Are Low Carb Beers Just A Fad ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well... Mt. Franklin water doesn't come from Mt. Franklin, and Everest spring water sure as hell doesn't come from Mt. Everest!

Whether the punters care about if the beer is low-carb or not, I'm not sure. However the marketing drives the sales. I'll bet, if you investigated the demographics of the people who buy Crown, Carlton Draught, and VB, you'll find it corresponds remarkably well to the style of advertising i.e. when and what type of TV ads are shown, what events are "sponsored" by the products, the price. Most Crown Lager drinkers drink it purely for the image (subconsciously) - they're buying a more expensive beer and it comes in a fancy bottle - I doubt these people would be able to distinguish Crown from Carlton, and VB on a taste basis.. I know I, and a fair few of my friends, certainly can't.

Yep, the pure blonde ad is well done for what it is.

Hot bods, a bird bottle opener and Cherry pie on nice and loud. The bogan anthem. :lol:

(goes searching for his Warrant cassette)

Yep, the pure blonde ad is well done for what it is.

Hot bods, a bird bottle opener and Cherry pie on nice and loud. The bogan anthem. :lol:

(goes searching for his Warrant cassette)

That truly is one of the best beer ads!

I certainly get a laugh at mates who talk about low carb beer in all its 'glory'.

But being a beer snob I rarely have a commercial beer of anykind, unless I have no choice in the matter... i.e. local cricket club.

Happy to leave these beers with the people who choose to drink them.

Not quite sure it is only a fad, marketers have done a super job... like so many beers nowadays, the better the advertisment, the worse the product... e.g. pure blonde, west end, etc...

Aren't we all glad (I know I am) to be HB'ers and know how much better HB can be when compared to megaswills, et al... ;)

a little off topic.... I really like the Carlton ad... with the man whisper...

...I doubt these people would be able to distinguish Crown from Carlton, and VB on a taste basis.. I know I, and a fair few of my friends, certainly can't.

+1

My Father used to call it STS syndrome. Sh#t That Sells.

Not quite sure it is only a fad, marketers have done a super job... like so many beers nowadays, the better the advertisment, the worse the product... e.g. pure blonde, west end, etc...

Aren't we all glad (I know I am) to be HB'ers and know how much better HB can be when compared to megaswills, et al... ;)

Maybe we could put together a TV ad for AHB?
If the advertising skills are inversely proportional to the quality of the product, it would be a really craparsed ad indeed

Probably good enough for channel 31 though.

Bad idea. Widespread popularity + Home-brew = Tax.

a little off topic.... I really like the Carlton ad... with the man whisper...

Nah the fat bloke doing the Flashdance type rehearsal was my fave. :D

As for low carb beer? No thanks I'd rather not drink at all.

Warren -

Ahhh, low carb beer....I used to actually drink Pure Blonde when it first came out, no for the low carb aspect but because it was something different, tasted okay and was often cheaper than the other megaswills.....

It's like people who go to maccas and order a large double quarter pounder meal with a DIET coke as it's the healthier option...

Side note, does anyone remember Tooheys Maxim? I parents used to drink that as the was the "healthier" option.....

My 2cents...

Low carb beers have about a third the carbs of 'normal' beers. That is all they claim to do. They have about the same amount of energy content, but that is not carbs.

If there's any problem with that, it's a problem with the whole carbs = bad scenario. You can agree with it or not, I'm not really educated enough to know that much either way.

The analogies in this thread, though common, are just wrong. It's not like eating a mars bar and a diet coke, or going to maccas and getting a diet coke.

If you eat a mars bar and a diet coke, you're getting the energy from the mars bar, and the diet coke has next to no energy. If you previously had a mars bar and a normal coke, you've taken in very significantly less calories than you would have before. No one thinks that 'diet' drinks or foods actually burn your fat off, they're just a much better option with less calories.

Diet soft drinks are incredible, you get almost the same product but with pretty much no energy. It's like drinking water + chemicals but it tastes like or better than the real thing (I prefer coke zero to normal coke these days, cause i actually dont like the sugar taste of coke).

Low carb beers are not like diet coke. They are low carb, not low calorie.

I don't think this 'low carb craze', it at least has introduced a lot more choice into the megaswill market. It's not just Tooheys New, VB, XXXX Gold and Hahn Light or whatever.

Tried the Cascade 'carbon offset' low carb wank the other day, and it's actually a pretty good beer for megaswill! More flavour than I was expecting.

Low carb beers are great session beers too cause they don't seem to bloat you as much I find. Dunno if that's because of the carbs or not?

I guess this is rather off-topic for a retail thread... but shouldn't Tony Ferguson be advocating light beers or no beer, rather than low-carb? Surely he must know the calorific content of alcohol greatly outweighs the carb energy...

There you go making sense again.........now SHADDUP. All the good money being poured into marketing, and you go and blab sensible stuff on a public forum, you, you, terrorist, sabotaging expensive marketing campaigns :angry:

As for diets.....only one that works is the Billy Connolly Diet...........Eat Less - Move More

There you go making sense again.........now SHADDUP. All the good money being poured into marketing, and you go and blab sensible stuff on a public forum, you, you, terrorist, sabotaging expensive marketing campaigns :angry:

As for diets.....only one that works is the Billy Connolly Diet...........Eat Less - Move More

:lol: gold!

My problem with low carb beers isnot that they claim to be healthier, my problem is that so many of them call themselves blonde beers
When you brew or give some one a proper belgium blonde the first questions they ask is if it is Low carb.

My problem with low carb beers isnot that they claim to be healthier, my problem is that so many of them call themselves blonde beers
When you brew or give some one a proper belgium blonde the first questions they ask is if it is Low carb.

yeah i hate that too, bloody annoying

Does anyone remember Carlton Diamond?
Wasn't that a low carb CUB pilsnerish style beer?
Or was it just 3.5% alcohol making it a bit better than a light beer?

I remember being at a pub in Sydney trialling a new CUB beer around 1994/95 and we paid about $15 to get in to drink for free.
I drank about 6 pots before i could really taste anything and then another 3 to break the seal. Didn't get drunk, didn't like the beer at all and was probably one of about 40 blokes in the room thinking the promo chick was digging me.
I was young, dumb and full of ... back then but at least I thought I had taste in beer.

Whatever happened to Carlton Diamond?

Latest posts

Back