Are Low Carb Beers Just A Fad ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlton diamond probably went the same way as Powers Bitter, Three dogs wheat beer from XXXX (I think that was what it was called about 6 years ago) XXXX draught in bottles (red label QLD only)..... they come and go.

Back on topic, lo carb was first marketed as dry and super dry. I think it's run its course and they are steering the market towards an intermediate product called 'blonde' - in other words to use the famous term from Sir Joh Bjelke Petersen they are "backing and filling as they go", and I wonder what the next trend will be.

Maybe a rich malty hoppy golden or amber ale.

That we will quaff as squadrons of pigs do their training manouvres overhead.

From a technical standpoint, isn't a light beer more of a low carb beer than a 'full-strength' low carb beer?

Side note, does anyone remember Tooheys Maxim? I parents used to drink that as the was the "healthier" option.....
Never heard of it until I fished a Tooheys Maxim cap out of a box of 10,000 black caps a few months ago...mystery solved.

As for low carb beer, if it floats your boat then go for it...there is a market out there.

Cheers, Andrew.

My problem with low carb beers isnot that they claim to be healthier, my problem is that so many of them call themselves blonde beers
When you brew or give some one a proper belgium blonde the first questions they ask is if it is Low carb.
Speaking to my future brother in law a couple of days ago about my wedding beer and told him it was a Belgian style and he said "oh like Stella" :blink: (more like Delirium Tremens). They only know what they know.

Cheers, Andrew.

From a technical standpoint, isn't a light beer more of a low carb beer than a 'full-strength' low carb beer?

No. It'd generally be lower in calories but not always carbs.

Carbohydrates and alcohol both influence the amount of calories in a beer. That said a low alcohol beer could have heaps of extra carbs from unfermentables etc, and a high alcohol beer may have hardly any unfermentables, and thus less carbs. It may still be higher in calories but calories are NOT carbs (though it seems recently the two are used interchangebly for no good reason).

Boys the next FAD beer will be low GI beer... :lol:

Anyone want to work up a recipe for that one?

Boys the next FAD beer will be low GI beer... :lol:

Anyone want to work up a recipe for that one?

or how about a liver cleansing beer?

beer with extra chi?

how about a beer with wheat grass shots inside it

My wife's workplace is allowed $100 every friday arvo for 2 slabs of "knock-off" drinks in the office. One slab is a boutique beer (usually local beer like 3 ravens or mountain goat, sometimes becks and heineken - the real imported stuff) and the other is always requested to be pure blonde (???!!!)

I know which side I'm on when i turn up to her workplace on a friday arvo?

I also sell a shite load of blonde at work.... so a fad? At this stage, probably not.

Cheers
Bowie

Whatever happened to Carlton Diamond?

Carlton Diamond lasted about 2.5 years then disappeared. Spoke to some guys at CUB about it and it did modestly well at launch then bombed. Was a beer modelled on the success of 'Bud Light' (aka. light in calories) and was supposed to be a beer that was aimed at girls as well as blokes (hence the name diamond geddit?). Once CUB's ill-fated experiment went away they just couldn't shake the low calorie bug. They launched 'Carlton LJ' after that - that had a yin&yan symbol on the label to suggest inner balance. LJ stood for 'Low Joule'. That beer lasted even a shorter period than Diamond. Not ones to give up, and constantly eyeing off the success of these types of beers in the US, CUB persisted and now we have the low carb Pure Blonde. I guess a case of if you don't first succeed, then try, try again! Only took about a bit over a decade before they cracked a seller in this category :lol:

Hopper.

My wife's workplace is allowed $100 every friday arvo for 2 slabs of "knock-off" drinks in the office.
No financial Crisis in her office hey?? :p

I also sell a shite load of blonde at work.... so a fad? At this stage, probably not.
Fad, I dont think so either, until something else comes out.. Thats why I think Gluten Free Beer would work well, alot of real Coeliacs out there and alot of people that go Gluten Free as a life-style choice...

What offends me most about "Low Carb" beer is calling it a Blonde beer. FFS it's just out and out bullshit in the end but unfortunately the only one who care is... well us? ;)

Latest posts

Back