Appreciating Lagers...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I felt the same way pretty much till I went to Munich. Helles and Bock served unpasteurised, unfiltered, gravity poured straight out of the wooden cask. I suppose the British would be offended by this but it's pretty much top fermented real ale. And then I went to Bamberg and straight to the Aecht Schlenkerla Tavern... I enjoy that beer bottled but nothing comes close to the cask version. I also didn't mind Budvar (the real Czech Budweiser)

I also tried for the first time the other week a "Hop Rocker Pilsner". I think it was Mac's Brewery? Came in a funky can. It was great.

+1 for this, It is Mac's brewery, has the hop character of an APA very tasty :icon_drool2:

No affiliation et al

edit - Speeling

Something's been misunderstood. I was making a joke in response to yours (and in response to bconnery) - definitely not offended at any point.

I tried to find an image of an eastern european looking dude carrying a suitcase but failed so I made a penis joke instead.

Sorry its the best I could do.

borat.jpg

And to keep it on topic. Pilsners are good.

Brad

I dream of cask lagers... esp Schlenkerla I will have to make Germany happen.

Notable lagers: Zywiec Porter, fresh Budvar, Coopers 62 :)

I dream of cask lagers... esp Schlenkerla I will have to make Germany happen.

Notable lagers: Zywiec Porter, fresh Budvar, Coopers 62 :)

Definitely worth the trip to Bamberg, beautiful town with beautiful beer :icon_cheers:

Let us see if Mr Weyermann notices his luggage is slightly heavy on the return trip...
To Bamberg I say!

Plenty of lagers out there without that "Euro-lager" taste you speak of. I recommend Kostritzer schwartzbier, Kloster asam bock, Schlenkerla Marzen Rauchbier, Samuel Adams Boston Lager, Kozel(?) dark lager and Matilda Bay Dog Bolter just for starters.

Cheers - Snow

All of these. And Emmersons Pilsner, if you get a good bottle, will change the way you think about pale lagers. And also Mac's Black is worth a look, and while I think of it Zeitgeist brewed by Brewdog, although I don't think it says it on the bottle, is another outstanding lager imo.

Don't lump all lagers together.

lagers aren't all the same, just like ales aren't - look out for & try some amber & dark lagers, lovely malt richness personified (IMHO :icon_cheers: ). Hard to do well, but packed full of flavour.

schwartz & bocks come to mind as do viennas, helles, marzens & octoberfests. :icon_drool2:

Don't lump all lagers together.
Yeah...it's yeast racism.

I love a good lager, big fan of malt forward beers. I know I'm in a minority but I don't like Pilsner Urquell and definately not a fan of the Coopers 62 but I really like Budvar and generally most of the malty marzens and darker lagers out there. My regular house brew is a ricey lager brewed with munich lager yeast Wy2308. The sulphur taste settles out and disappears after a couple weeks lagering.

Funny this thread should pop up while I'm cradling a bottle of Big Helga. It's not a bad beer at all, although I think my Helles is better (as you do :) ). Malt-forward with well-balanced bitterness and a subtle noble aroma. Good body as well.

...definately not a fan of the Coopers 62

If that is a response to me, it was just my lame attempt at a joke. I think it is a beer that typifies what is wrong with beer, like a gronky Budweiser but with more of that crisp, fresh 'green apple'.

I got a case of Budvar with my old man the other week and was really impressed with the hoppiness and overall balance.

I think the main issue is that we live in Australia and most beers are absolutely murdered across the equator, and then we get charged about eight times what we should for damaged goods. Or we could drink the local fare... I was really excited when Murray's released their pilsner, because it was a bottle conditioned lager that I could get fresh.

Lager is my bread and butter. It took me a while to work that out but the crisp deep hop taste of a 'good' lager makes me wet.
Some of the lagers mentioned are nowhere near my favourites but that's why we have thousands of different types of beer instead on just one.
Never listen to anyone who says that a certain beer or type of beer is crap. You need to try it yourself.
Big world, lots of beers .....Thank god!

For my tastes, Trumer Pils cannot be beaten on the Lager front.

Alas, I am an Ale man too.

I'm also an "Ale Man", but our son-in-law is a confirmed "Lager" consumer.
He is educated into what makes a good Lager, so he searches out the imported Euro lagers. He won't drink Aussie mainstream stuff (notice how cleverly I avoided the term "megaswill").

So, when mrs warra and I are down in Sydney, it's a compulsory stop off at Dans to get a supply of good stuff, before we hit daughter dear's front door.
Depending on which one I crack first, my favourite, time and time again, is either Pilsner Urquell, or Budvar. They are fantstic beers. My efforts haven't come close. The rest are all runners up only.

Back