Appreciating Lagers...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.DJ.

Reaction score
I'm an unashamed Ale man...

Anything from English Ales to American Barleywines...

However, I have never (with a few exceptions) been able to appreciate lagers. Knappstein is the one of the only ones I can really appreciate. And I rekon that is more to do with the NS hops than anything...

Now, maybe the ones I have tasted are crap...

Does anyone else have this problem? And what are some well made, readily available lagers that I might be able to appreciate?

Hi,
have you tried Pilsner Urquell?

It has a soft, nice flavor but still quite a bit of body and bittering, apparently 40 IBUs I read somewhere.

I like lagers as well as ales, but as 'different drinks' if you will.
Ales are more flavorsome and enjoyable perhaps, but nothing beats a nice, cold lager on a hot day or just having a beer in front of the telly without really focusing on what I'm drinking.

Bjorn

Lager as in anything made with a lager yeast or just pale beers?

For the subtle, pale type (but still delicious) try trumer, pilsner urqell, zywiec, sambor brok. Different beers for different occasions. Pair them with the right food - have some spicy fresh cooked crustaceans and a trumer on a hot summer afternoon.

Otherwise get your lips around a baltic porter or a bock of some description - just as rich and flavoursome as any English or Belgian ale.

I'm in a similar boat when it comes to lagers... literally brought up on ales and fruity yeasts, I really tend to steer away from lagers, I don't seem to pick up the bitterness, but I think that relates to what Bjorn's saying - they are such different drinks.

+1 for the Bocks. If you can get your hand on a bottle of Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock you'll be a happy man I reckon.

I prefer to try beers for the first time without food personally, so I can really taste the beer - but that's just personal opinion.

Pilsner Urquell is nice, but Emersons Pilsener from NZ is probably the most flavoursome pale lager i've tried (and i've had Urquell in the brewery).

Best thing you could do really is go to Czech Republic and Germany, after a day or two you'd find it easier :p

Hi,
have you tried Pilsner Urquell?

It has a soft, nice flavor but still quite a bit of body and bittering, apparently 40 IBUs I read somewhere.
I have, and it has a taste that i find all lagers have. not enjoyable to me at all.
What that taste is I have no idea?

I'm definitely more of an ale man but i could drink Trummer pils 'til the cows come home. Its delightful. I'm not a huge fan of Pilsner Urquel either so maybe give the Trummer a shot. If you can get hold of some German Muhich lagers you might like them too. Super malty, very satisfying.

If you're in Melbourne (and I know it's one hella drive for the OP!) we're serving up a bunch of tasty, tasty lagers at Oktoberfest this weekend.

Vienna Lager, German Pilsner, Schwarzbier, Oktoberfest, Hefweizen, Munich Helles and a Bock. All lagers, and none of them bland or boring.

Bayside Brewers Oktoberfest 2010

Hi,
have you tried Pilsner Urquell?..snip

Bjorn

OH MY GOD, I must give a massive + 1000 to this... IMHO... BEST. BEER. EVER. So delicately balanced, with a great malt backbone and just great bitterness to counteract...

Give it another shot... you can find some poorly handled samples out there... especially from some of the big bottlos like dan's and first... often see stacks of euro lagers sitting in the sun... that's wear the funking comes. Pick a sixer from a boutique shop.

A well handled Urquell is life changing... i wish i had the patience and time to do triple decoction lagers.

I have, and it has a taste that i find all lagers have. not enjoyable to me at all.
What that taste is I have no idea?

Probably a combination of subtle DMS and a hint of sulphur in the aroma.

I'm in the same boat as you DJ.
I know I've had some great lagers though. Just a matter of trying to remember them.

Plenty of lagers out there without that "Euro-lager" taste you speak of. I recommend Kostritzer schwartzbier, Kloster asam bock, Schlenkerla Marzen Rauchbier, Samuel Adams Boston Lager, Kozel(?) dark lager and Matilda Bay Dog Bolter just for starters.

Cheers - Snow

I get very upset at the slightest thing, including anything to do with farm animals and Chappo.

Sorry for OT.

I love lagers (in fact all beer) and have a soft spot at the moment for the Sam Adams Boston Lager, not your average light flavour.
I also tried for the first time the other week a "Hop Rocker Pilsner". I think it was Mac's Brewery? Came in a funky can. It was great.

I've been an ale man since the early 80's when Red Hook got me off the megaswillin lager Rainier. But I found myself ordering a Budvar while lounging in teh beergarden at the Dog & Pony on a warm Seattle day in July. And I have a fondness for black lagers as well. Dogbolter is nice, as is Roslyn Dark. More mainstream, I find Cooper's Lager a decent drop.

Manticle,
just trying to lighten the mood at lunch hour, no offence intended,

:icon_chickcheers:

thanks
Bjorn

Manticle,
just trying to lighten the mood at lunch hour, no offence intended,

:icon_chickcheers:

thanks
Bjorn

Something's been misunderstood. I was making a joke in response to yours (and in response to bconnery) - definitely not offended at any point.

I tried to find an image of an eastern european looking dude carrying a suitcase but failed so I made a penis joke instead.

Something's been misunderstood. I was making a joke in response to yours (and in response to bconnery) - definitely not offended at any point.

You really should try harder to be offended... you've offended him now by not being offended.

(No offence Bjorn if you weren't offended, either.)

Back