Apple/Carrot/Pineapple cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonetruepath

Reaction score
I decided to go for a non-kit cider for a change. Tired of the taste of artificial/so-called natural/non-nutritive sweeteners.

I started with 4kg of Bravo apples and 3kg of Granny Smiths. Budget already just about blown. Juicing those just got the bottom of the 30l brew vessel covered. Added two pineapples, 12kg of Pink Lady apples (on special) and 4l of Woolies apple juice plus 1l of pineapple juice, then 10kg of juicing carrots at $1 per kg. Came to just over 21l. Added 1.5 teaspoons of EC1118 yeast (hydrated for 20 minutes) and off we go. Brew temp will be around 18 degrees. Will have to skim off a whole lot of foam or it'll all come through the air trap. Will probably chuck in a few cups of sugar when it finishes, after transferring to the keg, and let it gas up for a day or two before going in the kegerator.

Will post taste notes in a few weeks...

I decided to go for a non-kit cider for a change. Tired of the taste of artificial/so-called natural/non-nutritive sweeteners.

I started with 4kg of Bravo apples and 3kg of Granny Smiths. Budget already just about blown. Juicing those just got the bottom of the 30l brew vessel covered. Added two pineapples, 12kg of Pink Lady apples (on special) and 4l of Woolies apple juice plus 1l of pineapple juice, then 10kg of juicing carrots at $1 per kg. Came to just over 21l. Added 1.5 teaspoons of EC1118 yeast (hydrated for 20 minutes) and off we go. Brew temp will be around 18 degrees. Will have to skim off a whole lot of foam or it'll all come through the air trap. Will probably chuck in a few cups of sugar when it finishes, after transferring to the keg, and let it gas up for a day or two before going in the kegerator.

Will post taste notes in a few weeks...
popcorn-this-should-be-good.gif

Wait, so you’re going to put in a “few” cups of sugar after after transferring to a keg but before you drop the temperature???

I need 80-100g for carbonation... but as you can probably tell from my recipe I have a sweet tooth. I'll use a tiny tap on the keg 'out' stem to taste test it so I can cold crash it at about the right time. Actually I'll probably use 2l of apple or pear or pineapple juice rather than sugar. I'm about 2l below desired volume.

The carrots scare me. Nonetheless, if there weren't a continent between us, I'd gladly try it.

Latest posts

Back