Apa Recipies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stew.w

Reaction score
im going to make 2 double batches tommorow and i just got a bunch of hops from hops direct
i got:
amarillo
cascade
columbus
centennial
challenger
chinook
fuggle
golding
nugget
galena
out of these hops ive mostly brewed with amarillo, cascade and goldings.
im after some ideas of what hops i should use together to make some apa's as ive never really used most of them.

for grains ive got bb pale, galaxy, vienna, choc, roasted carared and cararoma

cheers
stewart

Hops:

Bitter with Chinook.

Rest fuggles and cascade... Even amounts of each for flavour and cascade only for aroma!

:icon_drool2:

2c.

i'd like to do at least one of them without cascade or amarillo, since i started ag there hasnt been too many brews ive done without at least one of them in it (apa's anyway).
ive also got some galaxy flowers too

Some nice hops there. Why not experiment with some single hop APAs and find out which ones you like. Centennial works very well on its own IMO, as does Columbus though that is certainly one for the hop heads out there. Challenger is very good for a bitter if you want to do that, but would also be fine on its own in a pale ale.

If you do want to combine them, I'd say that any of amarillo, cascade, columbus, chinook and centennial will work very well with each other.

alright, sounds good ill do one brew with them
i might make a aipa instead of another apa
any other good combos anyone else tried?
also when you make an ipa (ive never made one before) how do you do the hop additions? do you spread them evenly over the full boil or does the majority of them go in at the start?

thanks

stewart

do you spread them evenly over the full boil or does the majority of them go in at the start?
You'll find as many theories as brewers though I have heard the US west coast hop-heads suggest as little as a quarter of your bittering additions at the start of your boil and the majority of your IBU's from late hop additions. That would make for a big hop forward beer though, maybe more a double ipa.

Some nice hops there. Why not experiment with some single hop APAs and find out which ones you like. Centennial works very well on its own IMO, as does Columbus though that is certainly one for the hop heads out there. Challenger is very good for a bitter if you want to do that, but would also be fine on its own in a pale ale.

If you do want to combine them, I'd say that any of amarillo, cascade, columbus, chinook and centennial will work very well with each other.

+1

Perfect advice Stu! :icon_cheers:

Nothin' else to add...

Check out Mike Tasty McDole's hop schedule for his famous Pliney The Elder Imperial IPA
http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/Mike_M..._NB_Kicker.html

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
2.00 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 30.1 Mash H
4.00 oz. Warrior Pellet 15.60 113.4 90 min
2.00 oz. Chinook Pellet 13.00 47.2 90 min
2.00 oz. Simcoe Pellet 12.00 35.5 45 min
2.00 oz. Columbus Pellet 15.00 25.3 30 min
2.00 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 9.00 7.2 15 min
3.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 8.7 1 min
2.00 oz. Simcoe Pellet 12.00 6.6 1 min
4.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min
5.00 oz. Columbus Pellet 15.00 0.0 Dry Hop
3.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 0.0 Dry Hop
3.00 oz. Simcoe Pellet 12.00 0.0 Dry Hop

I just made this one which is tasting lovely and caramelly on bottling with loads of fruit from the hops

(sorry, it's got amarillo in it)

Recipe 2

Type: All grain
Size:22 liters
Color:15 HCU (~9 SRM)
Bitterness: 57 IBU
OG: 1.058
FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 5.9% v/v (4.6% w/w)
Grain: 2kg JW ale
2kg JW Pilsner
500g JW Wheat malt
1kg Wey Munich
250g Dingeman biscuit
250g JW Dark crystal

Mash: 70% efficiency 65 degrees, 60 minutes
Boil: 60 minutes
SG 1.042 30 liters

Hops: 10g Centennial (10.5% AA, 60 min.)
10g Amarillo (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
10g Centennial (10.5% AA, 45 min.)
5g Chinook (12% AA, 30 min (flowers)
5g Chinook (12% AA, 25 min.) (flowers)
5g Amarillo (8.5% 25 min)
5g Chinook (12% AA, 20 min) (flowers)
5g Amarillo (8.5% AA, 20 min)
5g chinook(12% AA, 15 min.) (flowers)
5g Amarillo (8.5% AA, 15 min.)
5g amarillo (12% AA, 10 min.) (flowers)
5g amarillo (12% AA, 5 min.) (flowers)
5g Chinook (aroma) (flowers)
5g Amarillo (aroma)
5g centennial (aroma)

Dry hop 20g Chinook (flowers): secondary 5 days
Dry Hop 20g Amarillo: secondary 5 days

US05 Mash @65

I think I actually tried to extend each hop addition over a minute or so just to accentuate the hopburst so sprinkle in a bit then 30-60 secs later sprinkle in a bit more.

Not necessarily suggesting you follow this recipe but the hopbursting idea works very well. Make sure you have enough malt backbone to back it up.

If you had some cascade I'd suggest a Sierra Nevada clone.

Bugger.....if I didnt have a rellies birthday lunch to go to I would've come round Stew. Where'd you get the galaxy flowers from?
Cheers
Steve

i do, ive got a lb of cascade but as i said before i want to try something different than cascade and amarillo.
so for the apa i think ill go:
bb pale 72.5%
bb galaxy 22.6%
carared 1.9%
roast malt 0.4%

15ebc

centenial @ 60 min 22.6 IBU
chinook @ 30 min 13.6 IBU
chinook @ 0 min

us05

sound alright?
galaxy is only in there to make up for not enough pale

got the flowers from colin a while ago but just havnt used them so they're still vac packed in the freezer.
so if you need any hops steve i got shitloads at the moment, let me know.

i do, ive got a lb of cascade but as i said before i want to try something different than cascade and amarillo.
so for the apa i think ill go:
bb pale 72.5%
bb galaxy 22.6%
carared 1.9%
roast malt 0.4%

15ebc

chinook @ 0 min

us05

sound alright?
galaxy is only in there to make up for not enough pale

why dont you go:

Challenger
Chinook
Centennial?

But thats just ole mr make it up as you go along Steve. You obviously doing the 2 double batches separately? Do one with the c hops and the other with goldings n fuggles

chinook @ 0 min

that looks ass about to me, I'd bitter wiit the chinooks and add the centennial late like cocko said.
I've done that and it turned out very nice, I can't say I've tried what you posted there, it might be nice as well. Simcoe is my favourite, grab some of that next time :) .

Latest posts

Back