Apa Recipe Help, Mainly Re: Chinook

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0M39A

Reaction score
hey guys,

getting ready for a bit of a brew today, and just after a bit of advice regarding the hop schedule

basis will be:
500g pale malt (all i have atm)
2kg light extract
1kg wheat extract
500g dex. if needed
200g carapils

was thinking something along the lines of this for the hop schedule:
pacific gem to 30-35ibu
chinook @ 15min and flameout
?? also @ 15min and flameout

aside from chinook, the other hops i have currently are nelson sauvin, amarillo, NZ cascade, d-saaz and obviously pacific gem

from what ive heard chinook is a bit too in your face to use as a single flavour/aroma hop, so i was wondering how much i should use and what to blend it with. thinking that the nz cascade is a pretty obvious choice, but all suggestions are very welcome.

keep in mind that i am a bit of a hop head, and love in your face fruity/citrusy apa's/ipa's

will be fermenting with danstar nottingham (only second time using, last time was my first and only infection :( )

cheers

hey guys,

getting ready for a bit of a brew today, and just after a bit of advice regarding the hop schedule

basis will be:
500g pale malt (all i have atm)
2kg light extract
1kg wheat extract
500g dex. if needed
200g carapils

was thinking something along the lines of this for the hop schedule:
pacific gem to 30-35ibu
chinook @ 15min and flameout
?? also @ 15min and flameout

aside from chinook, the other hops i have currently are nelson sauvin, amarillo, NZ cascade, d-saaz and obviously pacific gem

from what ive heard chinook is a bit too in your face to use as a single flavour/aroma hop, so i was wondering how much i should use and what to blend it with. thinking that the nz cascade is a pretty obvious choice, but all suggestions are very welcome.

keep in mind that i am a bit of a hop head, and love in your face fruity/citrusy apa's/ipa's

will be fermenting with danstar nottingham (only second time using, last time was my first and only infection :( )

cheers
Well I would say that if you are a bit of a hophead and love citrusy apas then perhaps you might not find it too in your face as a single hop...
Amarillo would seem an obvious choice as well out of that list.
I think d-saaz might be a nice twist too...

Personally I wouldn't use Nottingham. Great yeast for darker beers but not the best choice for a pale ale in my book.
Go Us-05 for this type of beer ...

no problems with the s-05 suggestion, have it in the fridge as well. just heard lots of people say that nottingham is great for apa's as well, so thought i might give it a go. anyone else got anything to say regarding yeasts please feel free to let me know.

[edit]

would be fermenting it at 16C in my fermentation fridge btw.

well the tiny mash is done, not sure about the gravity, as i dont have a refractometer, but it tasted nice and sugary :p

just waiting for it all to come to the boil now.

any last minute replies?

well i ended up going for:
around 20g of chinook, 25g of american 07 cascade @ 15min
15-20g each of chinook, cascade and d-saaz @ whirlpool. just gave it a good whirlpool, sitting in the pot still, will no-chill in the carboy till the wee hours of the morning, and pitch the yeast then.

Back