Anzac Day Brew 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRB

Reaction score
Yes,

Brewing a Warmonger Ale is indeed a great idea!

I am planning to brew over the ANZAC day weekend and fittingly im brewing a Haus grown POR Ale.

Simply

50% JW Pilsner
40% Weyermann Munich
10% Carapils/Wheat (still to decide)
30g POR (home grown) @ FWH.
Wyeast 1968 or 1272 depending on how i feel after tasting the wort. (if its really bitter).

Done and dusted. :icon_cheers: Unsure what the IBU will be but i like the idea of the unknown. Atleast if it is overly bitter i will have the Munich backbone to hold it up. Cant wait!

Well it's become a little bit of a tradition for me now to do a brew on Anzac day.

Usually the day entails gettin' myself and kids up out of bed at 4am, by half 4 the old boy gets to my place, lock and load 'em all in the family bus and head off to Beenleigh for the Dawn Service. Stick around after the service for rum and milks then head off back home with the HLT ready to go.

This year I think I am going to do my Aussie Wice Lager for something different.

8kg BB Pilsner Malt
2kg Aussie Wice

45gr POR (flowers) 60mins
45gr POR (flowers) 15mins

Wyeast 2124 Boh Lager for a clean crisp finish

Should be a fitting tribute for our Diggers I reckon.

What's everyone else doing/planning?

Cheers

Chap Chap

Already a thread on this one chap chap. :rolleyes:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=31840

You could also use Jasime rice for all those killed on the thai burma railway/hellfire pass. Very touching place to visit, especially the cemetary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellfire_Pass

Forced labour was used in its construction. About 180,000 Asian labourers and 60,000 Allied prisoners of war (POWs) worked on the railway. Of these, around 90,000 Asian labourers and 16,000 Allied POWs died as a direct result of the project. The dead POWs included 6,318 British personnel, 2,815 Australians, 2,490 Dutch, about 356 Americans and a smaller number of Canadians.

Errr that's from last year me old mate... 2009 :icon_cheers:

Yeah I'll be using Aussie Jasmine though. :rolleyes:

Hmmm... wonder why it was revived?! Well, keep on truckin!

I never knew we grew jasmine here. I always buy asian origin rice anyway. SWMBO has a thing about the excessive water use required to produce rice and considering this country is a desert i kinda agree. Might as well get it from the countries where you cannot escape the wet. Seems like a stupid waste of water to me even though we have some of the higest grade rice made in this country.

well if the other thread is dead.. here is my recipe for this one.

I am planning to brew over the ANZAC day weekend and fittingly im brewing a Haus grown POR Ale.

Simply

50% JW Pilsner
40% Weyermann Munich
10% Carapils/Wheat (still to decide)
30g POR (home grown) @ FWH.
Wyeast 1968 or 1272 depending on how i feel after tasting the wort. (if its really bitter).

Done and dusted. :icon_cheers: Unsure what the IBU will be but i like the idea of the unknown. Atleast if it is overly bitter i will have the Munich backbone to hold it up. Cant wait!

Anzac Day reminds me of many things and one of them is beer related. I wonder if any one remembers Flag Ale, my farther in-law (god bless him) used to drink this, and he fought on the Kokoda Trail in New Guinea. Also I remember my farther drinking this beer and offering me a shandy at age 7 after mowing the lawns, so this would be around 1966, I have no idea when this beer was first produced.

I’m wondering does anyone remember this beer and what it tasted like. It came in longnecks with a picture of the Australian flag on it. It would be nice to do something along this line for future Anzac Day brews. :icon_cheers:

Anzac Day reminds me of many things and one of them is beer related. I wonder if any one remembers Flag Ale, my farther in-law (god bless him) used to drink this, and he fought on the Kokoda Trail in New Guinea. Also I remember my farther drinking this beer and offering me a shandy at age 7 after mowing the lawns, so this would be around 1966, I have no idea when this beer was first produced.

I’m wondering does anyone remember this beer and what it tasted like. It came in longnecks with a picture of the Australian flag on it. It would be nice to do something along this line for future Anzac Day brews. :icon_cheers:

I remember Flag Ale alright. One of my all time favs. The best thing about it was you could drink gallons of it and not get that bloated, full gut, I ate to much feeling whilst still having a full strength beer.
As for taste it was something along the line of say Tooheys New, maybe a tad less bitterness and a slightly sweeter aroma. I loved it at the time. Mind you that was some twenty years ago. Only a hazy memory now though.

Brewing Saturday probably Blonde Ale
Sunday. I'll be at the dawn service at Kilcoy. Whiskey coffee then stew for breakfast. A few beers , a chat and a laugh with the old boys. Meeting a soldier mate coming up to represent Army in the later march through town. A few more beers and stories.
Daz

Hahahaha... schooey's first ever taste of the amber fluid was Flag Ale from a steel can in the back of a Wayfarer ute at the ripe old age of about 12 I reckon.

I've been thinking about a different take on an "ANZAC Ale" (adapted from Radical Brewing's 'Oatmeal Cookie Ale').
An English 'nut' Brown ale with toasted Oats and Golden Syrup (maybe in secondary) to produce something reminiscent of ANZAC biscuits (Originally created to have a long-shelf life and keep well on the 2 month boat-trip out to the troops. Even if they did not get named as such until some years after the war).

7% Golden Syrup
7% Oats, Rolled & Toasted
61% Pale Malt, Traditional Ale
22% Pale Ale Malt, Toasted Amber
3% Pale Ale Malt, Toasted Brown
30g Goldings, (60 min)
20g Goldings (20 min)
London ESB Ale (Wyeast 1968)
24L, OG: 1.066

might have to get out my anzac ale recipe... its got to have galaxy hops for australia, nelsin savin for new zealand, marris otter malt for england, and some oates in there as well. I'm off to dig up the recipe

im planning on some more of the dark braggot to be put down, hopefully a double batch if im sober enough after marching on sunday

hmmmm dark braggot :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Here's one I brewed for ANZAC Day as opposed to on it, bottled 20th July 2009

I did originally plan for it to last 5 years or so and bring one or six out every ANZAC Day but alas there are two bottles left.
One bottle of this will be consumed Sunday.

OZNZ Extra Stout

OG 1.072

22.5 litres

4kg LDME

300g Carafa II
150g Roasted Barley

40g Pacific Gem @ 60 mins
25g Pacific Gem @ 10 mins
25g Pacific Gem @ flameout

Dry pitched CB twin pack Nottingham @ 21 degreees C

fermented @ 16 degrees C

FG a little high maybe @ 1.025
It probably needs tweaking but someone might get some ideas from it.
This one threw a bit of SO2 during fermentation but that cleared after a few months cold conditioning in the bottles.
The last bottle I had was OK and I'm expecting the next to go down well.

I've been thinking about what to brew on Sunday & I reckon I'll go with a combination of POR, Galaxy, NS & B Saaz. This decision was inspired by the fact that these are the Aus & NZ hops I currently have in the freezer, I should possibly weigh them to see how much of each I have. I'll be using 2 cans of Coopers LME & can steep some spec grains if required. I'm pretty sure I've got some LDME & I know I have some dex. I only have us05, is it too late to get some Coopers yeast started? Is there a different Aussie or Kiwi yeast I could use?

If it seems that I'm just typing what comes into my head at the time then it's because I'm typing what comes into my head at the time. I'm going to a brewday at LHBS on Saturday so if I need other gear then it's not a hassle to be able to pick gear up. I'm pretty much willing to do whatever is suggested as I really have no idea of what I'm hoping to achieve here, I basically want an ANZAC beer.

I like Boagsy's idea, I'll be keeping several bottles of whatever I come up with to drink next ANZAC day. I certainly won't commit to having any left for 25/4/12 though. There's a real evaporation issue with beer at my place.

I only have us05, is it too late to get some Coopers yeast started? Is there a different Aussie or Kiwi yeast I could use?
I think the Coopers yeast defines an 'Australian ale' and am not aware of any other 'local' yeasts that you can buy dry.
I like to give my starters 4 steps over 4 days (but that's probably overkill).
If you made a 100ml starter on Friday morning - and were lucky - you could step it to 1L on Saturday and - with some more luck - be right to pitch it late on Sunday, or just reculture the dregs into a 1L starter and hope for the best in 3 days time (it's worked before).

This is also becoming a tradition for me while I'm at places where I am not needed for official duties.
This year after the dawn service I will be doing another Anzac Ale (exact recipe unknown yet) whilst tipping down some 2009 vintage Anzac Ale. :)

Morning all,

I went to the service this morning, Home now and today ill also put down a brew! Its going to make the most ezy brew ive ever done! I got me self one of them 15L expensive fresh wort kits (Amarillo Pale Ale) from BrewCraft! So Im Gonna Chuck that in the fermenter with another 5L of water and some US05!
Should be a nice drop in a few weeks time!
Happy Long weekend people!

had planned on doing this last year but never got round to it but it's on today

modified from boilerboy's recipe on this thread from last year but took out the choc and added some sugar to be more aussie! also used pils base malt as that's what i got

anzac ale - brewer's widow

3.5kg malteurop pilsner
1.0kg jw dark munich
500g powells wheat Malt
100g weyermann cara aroma
200g bairds amber
300g rolled oats
250g golden syrup
250g brown sugar

30g por (8.8%) 60min
denny's favourite (i know it's in no way anzac but i have it and want to use it and think it will go well..!)

cheers!

I wasn't planning to brew today, but life's full of surprises. Just mashed in on an Aussie Sparkling Ale. Will be supplementing the commerically grown POR pellets (one additiona at 60min) with a couple of cones from my own garden.

cheers

grant

Latest posts

Back