Anyone Up For A Cube Swap? (seqld)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
Dunno yet how it will come around as not alot of thought has gone into it yet. But there case swaps, lotto's, etc What about a cube swap?

I just threw this idea out there to maybe gauge some interest and organise a piss-up Err..... "Brewers Gathering"

As I have no idea how it would work (a case swap involves tallies, this will involve full cubes) but i'm hoping to gather ideas/wisdom to make it happen. (I mean we all cant rock up with 11 cubes under our belt can we? :lol: )

Maybe we all brew up a few 5L/2L cubes? (if 2 and 5L cubes exist)

Interested to hear Ideas and interest.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

_wallace_

Like the idea but obviously won't be involved.
Number them and then Cube Lotto ! Completely randomn as to what you end up with. Only one type of beer, but interesting concept regardless.

Well I'm happy to do a Mini-mini cube swap in a couple of weeks time... If you can't make it to my brew day/BBQ, we can tee up something after. What beer style were you thinking? Would it be a like-for-like swap
(ie: an APA for an APA, or would there be OG guidelines, or open to interpretation?) I'm sure Ross would like to swap you a cube of wort for $50 or so, but I'm assuming this would be a non-commercial type thing... ;)

Keen, but would need to know specifics. Although, i'm always happy to host a brew day, and split a double batch... There is usually no money involved, just some drinking and non-dodgy brewer bonding...

;)

Cheers

I reckon the cube lotto idea is a beauty. I pity the poor prick that gets mine :p

Cheers guys for the quick replies.

Nick I Like the idea over the lotto. But the lotto would be alot more practical.

Does anyone know if you can get 5L cubes though?

Nick I Like the idea over the lotto. But the lotto would be alot more practical.

I saw some 5l cube looking things at Supa Cheap the other day. Not sure if food grade though............but if you bottled quickly...........

willow has some pretty tough looking 5L cubes. I keep one handy just in case I overbrew! - the green shed

Bunnings do 10L jobbies. That way each participant could do a 20L batch of an agreed style into 2 10L cubes keep one swap one ferment both then compare.
Maybe

I was thinking along the lines of just cubing and letting the brewer decide which yeast to use, with a list of ingredients, hop and mash schedule.

It should be just pour and pitch

and post with results

Bunnings do 10L jobbies. That way each participant could do a 20L batch of an agreed style into 2 10L cubes keep one swap one ferment both then compare.
Maybe

That sounds like the go brad, and technically you will come out with two different types of beer for one day of brewing. Will be keen to see how this pans out.... Keen to get involved and start meeting some other brewers around Brisbane, have had the pleasure of meeting Winkle at a brewers choice / tasting day and found him to be right along my line of thinking.... but as Rowy said I may pity the poor bloke who ends up with mine.

Sean

these "10L" ones are from bunnings about $10 i think

i was stovetopping in them with good success

DSCF4316.jpg

Does it have to be the same beer style all along?

I quite like the idea of swapping random styles, means I would finally get to ferment something else than a lager of sorts...

Definately keen to have a beer on tap at home that's not mine. Also means if guests don't like it I can blame others for it :D

After some slightly sober thinking :unsure: , The 10L cube is probably gonna be the way to go, we all donate 2 cubes in the swap, and we will get 2 different cubes out of it, I don't know if they have to be all the same style or not.

I'm wondering how it could be done so I didn't end up with one of my cubes and say....... NickB didn't end up with one of his?

Also a lotto could be another event again.......... Nation wide! But don't know what it would cost to post 10Kg's of wort to the other side of the country (making it cost prohibitive)

Does it have to be the same beer style all along?

I quite like the idea of swapping random styles, means I would finally get to ferment something else than a lager of sorts...

Definately keen to have a beer on tap at home that's not mine. Also means if guests don't like it I can blame others for it :D

Careful Florian, you could end up with one of my muddy Ales :p

:icon_offtopic: PS Filter is ordered :unsure:

I'm wondering how it could be done so I didn't end up with one of my cubes and say....... NickB didn't end up with one of his?

Lets say you have 10 participants. 10 numbers go in a bucket and then you take turns drawing numbers from the bucket, if you draw your own number you throw it back in and draw again. As for who gets to draw out of the hat first that could be relevent to the initial participant list eg number 1 on the list goes first................or there is always soggy Sao.

Cheers

Lets say you have 10 participants. 10 numbers go in a bucket and then you take turns drawing numbers from the bucket, if you draw your own number you throw it back in and draw again. As for who gets to draw out of the hat first that could be relevent to the initial participant list eg number 1 on the list goes first................or there is always soggy Sao.

Cheers

Or we could always draw outta the hat to find out who will draw outta the hat first? :D

Back