Anyone Know The Different Morgan's Aroma Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Belly

Head Brewer - Barley Belly Brewery
Reaction score
Have been doing a few of the Morgan's Export range lately, just with a 1kg LDME & Dex sugar blend made up to 23L with the kit yeast and no additional hops.

I was wanting to add some Aroma hops to the different styles and was wondering if anyone knew what Aroma hops Morgan's use for each different kit or what Aroma hops would suit each different kit?

Might be a difficult question to answer but I thought I would just throw it out there, in case someone was in the know. :huh:

try saaz, hallertau( mittelfrue) nelson sauvin type for lager like beer.
Goldings, fuggle northdown for english bitter
American hoos like simcoe cascade amarillo for spicy APAs
Here an old XL sheet for ideas

View attachment Hops_sheet.xls

If you are doing any Morgans Queensland range like Queensland Bitter or Pilsener, then cluster hops are a must, they are used in XXXX and I believe Tooheys. I've slipped some into Coopers Kits as well and they give a very distinct 'Australiana' twang.

Saaz and Hallertau are the ones to go for, for aroma, and fuggles in dark ales.

I few weeks ago I actually emailed morgan's about the aroma hops on a particular kit. The first reply I got basically said they couldn't go giving out trade secrets.

So I replied raising the point that a plenty of micros have no problem giving out info on what sort of hops they use and this is all I was after, nothing detailed. I got this rather cryptic response "I would love to tell you just what gives this product that special aroma but I cant. If it was as simple as like the thing from the micros that you have pointed out, I would, but its not simple in fact, quite complex."

So on the topic of aroma in morgans kits, anyone care to speculate what the hell thats all about? Do they flavor their kits in a big black cauldron with newt eyeballs while they dance around and chant instead of just using hops or something?

So on the topic of aroma in morgans kits, anyone care to speculate what the hell thats all about? Do they flavor their kits in a big black cauldron with newt eyeballs while they dance around and chant instead of just using hops or something?
Probably not but it helps to perpetuate to their target market that brewing and recipe formulation is an incredibly complex and magical thing and that you are better off sticking to their pre packaged cans of goo than doing it from scratch yourself. As heaven forbid one day you may actually cotton on and do it yourself and maybe even go all grain then they have lost most of their market.
In reality they probably don't want to tell you that most of the hops in their kits came from a can or a bottle! :eek:

I'd put money on them using liquid hop aromas. The only can of goop kit I've opened (not to say they're the only ones) that had actual hops in them were ESB.

"I would love to tell you just what gives this product that special aroma but I cant. If it was as simple as like the thing from the micros that you have pointed out, I would, but its not simple in fact, quite complex."

I will take a guess that the person who made the above statement is Grant Sampson. If it is, keep in mind that this is the same person who advocates fermenting all ales in the mid twenties (degrees celsius) and who also has informed people the best time to add finings is well before fermentation has finished (and I'm not talking about kettle finings).

Jamz, the question you asked was not complex - do you use aroma hops in a certain kit? The answer is either yes or no and if the answer is yes, it is this particular hop. If he doesn't want to answer, that's his prerogative but to intimate that he can't tell you because you couldn't possibly understand such complex processes is ridiculous. There are many people (not professional brewers either), many who contribute to this forum who have forgotten more about beer than Grant Sampson will ever know (once again assuming he was the one who responded to your email).

Postmodern and ausdb have hit the nail on the head, the hops in these kits whether it be bittering agents or otherwise come out of a bottle. It would definitely destroy the illusion of exclusivity if he were to say a particular kit contained 100% pale liquid malt extract from Coopers and was bittered with x amount of isohop. Fancy that, wort being made from malt, water and hops. Look out world, the cat's out of the bag.

This type of attitude often leads brewers to delve more deeply into the process of brewing. The fact that you were interested enough to ask about aroma hops indicates that you may just one day ditch the secrets held in the Morgans vault and seek more control over the flavour, aroma and colour elements of your beers. And who knows, one day soon you may be able to email Morgans and tell them that you boiled some hops in malt extract and water, cooled it down, added yeast, let it ferment and voile, beer. Surely it must be more complicated than that.

A point on the usually open-mined approach of micro-brewery operators. They will pass on information because they know if their beer is good you will buy it, as well as brew your own. A closed-minded kit manufacturer can't be as confident that you will continue to purchase their product once you know that you can do it better than them without that much extra effort.

Back