Anyone Know A Good Belgian Ale Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boriskane

Reaction score
looking for either an extract or partial belgian (strong)ale recipe to try out, any ideas? couldnt find much on the DB for those categories

looking for either an extract or partial belgian (strong)ale recipe to try out, any ideas? couldnt find much on the DB for those categories
I'll dig one up I did a few years ago. It's The Striking Gold Belgian Golden Strong Ale recipe from the International Big Brew Day (2007?)

How strong and what style, mate?
Pale 5%ish
Blond 6%ish
Double 7%ish
Tripple 8%ish
Dark Strong 10%ish

What belgian beers do you want it to taste a bit like?

K&K or are do you do a full boil?

I'll dig one up I did a few years ago. It's The Striking Gold Belgian Golden Strong Ale recipe from the International Big Brew Day (2007?)
http://wiki.americanhomebrewers.org/BigBrew2007

Both AG & extract with grains shown.

With BrettM's help, mine was a partial, from memory the base malt was
2kg Pilsner
1kg Wheat
1.5kg tin Morgans Extra Pale Malt Extract

specialty grains & sugars were the same.

This one was a bit suss to begin with, but drinkable after 6 months (and awesome after a year).

I found a Chimay Clone receipe by Lethaldog on another forum. I have all the ingredients but haven't managed to give a go yet as i'm sorting out my temp control issues. Looking forward to putting it down on the w/e.

Quote:

ldme 2.3kg
black malt grain (crushed) 30g
soft dark brown sugar 400g
blended honey 250g
bittering hops hallertau 40g
bittering hops goldings 20g
if you can get hold of a bottle of chimay blue label then make a starter out of it but if not just use a good ale yeast eg. safale or wyeast abbey ale
final volume 15litres. boil all ingredients for 40 min then strain and adjust to 15 litres with cold water, wait to pitch yeast untill it reaches 25*c.

black grain is black malt grain, you could use a good supermarket honey or maybe go for a clover etc As far as the sugar goes i always use the supermarket variety, just make sure you get a good quality and not homebrand or simmilar, Bassically any of them your not quite sure about just get the best quality you can and you cant go wrong.

Usually i would make a yeast starter for this out of a 750ml grand reserve but its not that cost effective being that its $20 a bottle, this time i experimented and made one out of the chimay blue label stubbie (330ml) and bingo shes off and racing, although there wasnt much action in the starter and i was very scheptical, i pitched it anyway and 1 day later shes firing all cylinders. :lol:

by the way as far as clones go i dare you to put this one beside the real thing and see if you can taste the difference, it is bassically an exact copy of chimay blue label as far as im concerned so have fun with it guys

P.s be careful with this one it comes out at 9.5%
End quote.

I love Chimay so i'm really looking forward to giving this one a go!

I found a Chimay Clone receipe by Lethaldog...
Mate, that looks like an unnecessarily complicated recipe for a tripple/golden strong beer, particularly for the person who started this thread who is obviously a beginner to Belgian brews.

23L Blonde.

3kg LLME
50g Caramunich I
100g Caraamber
100g Melanoiden
500g Sugaz
25g B Saaz 60 min
Wyeast 1762 @ 19C

:icon_drool2:

Mate, that looks like an unnecessarily complicated recipe for a tripple/golden strong beer, particularly for the person who started this thread who is obviously a beginner to Belgian brews.
I wouldn't think so.
The OP's asking for partial recipes as well, so it sounds like he's game to give something harder a go.

Complicated - maybe so, but no more than some of the brews i've seen here.
Beginner - you assume, and maybe so, but he's no more beginner than i when it comes to Beglian brews. This will be my first one.

Just trying to help out and be part of the community, but thanks for your comments anyway.

Post up what you end up going with Boris!

Cheers
Chris

Easy extract Hoegaarden copy - just tried this last night after two weeks in the bottle & the flavour was spot on, colour is darker but certainly had that Hoegaarden bubblegum tang. I've been brewing for about 18 months pumping out pretty crappy but drinkable beers - this is certainly my best.

Easy to make, smells the house up, in a good way. Got my honey from www.thehoneyfarm.com.au

2kg dried wheat malt mix from G&G
1.5kg Coopers liquid wheat malt
1kg orange blossom honey
Safale T58
40g Saaz pellets
2 Hallertau hersbrucker plugs
15g coriander seeds, crushed
15g grated ginger
25g orange zest
5g star anise, crushed
5g cardamom pods, crushed

Boiled about 5l of water, with 1kg of DME 20g Saaz at 30min,
Added the next 20g at 10min with all the aromatics then the honey after the flame was turned off.

Strained into fermenter,added the rest of the malt and water to 25l, pitched yeast and dry hopped with 1 Hallertau plug.

Loads of sediment & suspended yeast after 8 days in primary so I racked to secondary and added gelatine to remove some, added another Hallertau plug.

Sat in secondary for a further 7 days. Bottled for 14 days before testing.

Will be making this again soon.

if you were a complete dipshit like myself. stick with the ESB 3kg tubs. i have a feeling i fucked it up already.
was drunk when doing it, put in sterilizer into the main batch. LOL **** me am i stupid

Back