Anyone else get their credit card scammed today?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tropico said:
Well, mine did. just wondering about anyone else?
How so? Just interested.
The other day I inserted a card to pay and it read off another card I had. Just from proximity. Swipe and go proximity I don't know the facts!
What I saw could mean that I could possible pay another persons transaction if I happen to be close enough? :huh: Like in queue? That close? :unsure:
Edit for detail: (I had my wallet in hand while I was inserting (the chosen card), It transacted from another card in my wallet instead)
No big deal for me other than the annoying shock factor of uncontrollability!!!!!

Yes last Wednesday, got a phone call from credit fraud in Sydney. They got $100 as I had $102 in the account. Advised they were acting out of Japan and had made three attempts on my account. They had purchased a $100 gift card on the Internet from Coles, then tried Bunnings. Fraud guy said they had access a companies customer credit account details and heaps were being stung.
So check your accounts.
Cheers and got my Money back as my credit union pays it and then takes the money when Coles repays me. Top service, but now awaiting a new card.

Sam's Tyres, South Africa tried to take a payment, this was after some else took a very small amount.

Anyway the bank had picked it up and blocked it, and cancelled the card after I spoke to them.

The card details may have been picked up from malicious software on my computer, or otherwise from some companies on-line payment system being compromised.

Anyway, its all good, no money lost and now, wait for a new card.

Its swipe and go that is the worry. I don't subscribe to such things but the ignorance of the masses goes forth and is the opportunity for crime.
So someone just has to hit you on the head and milk your cards for what they are worth by swiping or proximity?
Actually this is a question I need to ask my bank. -_-

Ive seen guys get off the charges too. A lot of cameras arent up to scratch. Crims run store to store buying under 100 until card doesnt work anymore. Police can usually work out who it is but hard to prove in court.

Got done once with Mastercard. Westpac rerunded the money. Someone in the states to their credit bank was on to it in less than 12 hours. The strange part was the bank is not allowed to tell you which vendor that the card was comprised?

Danscraftbeer said:
So someone just has to hit you on the head and milk your cards for what they are worth by swiping or proximity?
Actually this is a question I need to ask my bank. -_-
yep, difference is they could always do that...
if you carry cash, its gone for good
if they use your card you are covered by the bank and the bank takes that risk

so, no real change for an opportunistic crook (plus even with out 'tap-and-go'/paywave, almost all terminals except under $100 without pin these days also)

Danscraftbeer said:
The other day I inserted a card to pay and it read off another card I had. Just from proximity. Swipe and go proximity I don't know the facts!
What I saw could mean that I could possible pay another persons transaction if I happen to be close enough? :huh: Like in queue? That close? :unsure:
Edit for detail: (I had my wallet in hand while I was inserting (the chosen card), It transacted from another card in my wallet instead)
how close was your wallet to the reader? As it should only be a matter of cm's that the paywave terminals range is...(the power required to energise the antenna in the card increases exponentially as distance increases, so you need to be very close for it to work)

Mine got done yesterday and today, about 4500 worth over 6 transactions to the likes of jb hifi etc. bank said they will refund it all but still frustrating to have to get new cards

SBOB said:
how close was your wallet to the reader? As it should only be a matter of cm's that the paywave terminals range is...(the power required to energise the antenna in the card increases exponentially as distance increases, so you need to be very close for it to work)
I had my wallet in my left hand leant on the bench when I had the inserted card, - Inserted! with my right hand. Quite trivial really but annoying for me because it was meant to be paid on the business card but got billed to my personal card.
Immediate Solution was to go through the whole cancelation and re-transaction with 10 people waiting impatiently behind me.
First world problems 101.

mondestrunken said:
:p

Time for some aluminium foil in the wallet methinks
Which then makes you,(A NUT JOB!).
I'm just saying that Swipe and go should be optional on everyones card. Its not!. I did not say yes to this other than its some tedious hidden options somewere in the terms and conditions....and basically if you don't agree with the terms and conditions then you cant have a credit card!
Insert and key pin should be the only option. In my opinion. Everything too fast for most people/sheeple are so ******* lazy minded they cant remember a 4 digit number and ruin personal control for everyone else.
Who invented this swipe and go crap anyway. Oh yeah its a state of our times because of ridiculously intolerable queuing etc. Just saying - rant...

Stick your foil hats. -_-
All in good sprit of course. :p

Danscraftbeer said:
Which then makes you,(A NUT JOB!).
I'm just saying that Swipe and go should be optional on everyones card. Its not!. I did not say yes to this other than its some tedious hidden options somewere in the terms and conditions....and basically if you don't agree with the terms and conditions then you cant have a credit card!
Insert and key pin should be the only option. In my opinion. Everything too fast for most people/sheeple are so ******* lazy minded they cant remember a 4 digit number and ruin personal control for everyone else.
Who invented this swipe and go crap anyway. Oh yeah its a state of our times because of ridiculously intolerable queuing etc. Just saying - rant...

Stick your foil hats. -_-
All in good sprit of course. :p
Dude, I agree.

But at the same time swiping is pretty convenient.

Latest posts

Back