Anyone else get their credit card scammed today?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mondestrunken said:
Time for some aluminium foil in the wallet methinks
I have mine in a sleeve called a card guard,it protects from " accidental" transactions which has happened before.
I was in a shop as another was swiping her card and it read mine and tried to charge the transaction to my card.
The shop owner realised some thing was wrong ,explained the situation and started over.
As far as scams go we got stung 10 yrs ago on a road trip to Canberra,we re fuelled at Gundagi on the way and the next morning got a call from the bank telling us the card was blocked as some " unusual transactions " had happened and it was out of the norm for our use.
A servo attendant had taken the details of the card used and tried to buy furniture etc from a well known shop in Melbourne.
End result the transactions were declined the person responsible was caught,lost her job and got locked up for a while as she was found to quite prolific at scamming but got too greedy and was caught in a Police sting.....gotta love payback.

then there's the microsoft team from manilla wanting to help you fix your computer virus if you'll just send them your bank details.
i've got 2 fixes for this...
firstly, agree, and do lots of ums and ahs while you manouvre to the toilet, then hold the phone over the bowl while you flush toilet. leave phone on cistern and let them blab on. collect phone a few minutes later.
secondly (you need a short perrson for this).... hand phone to 2 year old receptionist and tell her/him that santa claus is on the other end. walk away, remembering to collect phone before little one starts auto-calling your boss etc etc

I have a few cards I don't want violated so I crack the chips. Swipe still works fine.

Tex N Oz said:
I have a few cards I don't want violated so I crack the chips. Swipe still works fine.
The visible chip (looks like a sim card) is not the pay wave/tap and go device. The rfid chip is inbetween the layers of plastic in card. Not visible unless you have one of those partially see through cards.

Goid said:
The visible chip (looks like a sim card) is not the pay wave/tap and go device. The rfid chip is inbetween the layers of plastic in card. Not visible unless you have one of those partially see through cards.
+1 to this

Want to 'increase' the security on your card you should be trying to disable the magnetic strip and not the infinitely more secure chip in the card..
the vast majority of credit card fraud that occurs due to physical access to a card is a result of the ability to clone the magnetic stripe. If the world tomorrow removed the magnetic stripe from every card, card fraud would drop immensely.

If you are trying to disable paywave (pointless imo, but whatever) then you should be trying to cut through the antenna loop within the card

Danscraftbeer said:
Which then makes you,(A NUT JOB!).
I'm just saying that Swipe and go should be optional on everyones card. Its not!. I did not say yes to this other than its some tedious hidden options somewere in the terms and conditions....and basically if you don't agree with the terms and conditions then you cant have a credit card!
Insert and key pin should be the only option. In my opinion. Everything too fast for most people/sheeple are so ******* lazy minded they cant remember a 4 digit number and ruin personal control for everyone else.
Who invented this swipe and go crap anyway. Oh yeah its a state of our times because of ridiculously intolerable queuing etc. Just saying - rant...

Stick your foil hats. -_-
All in good sprit of course. :p

Sounds like you haven't heard you can scan cards with a smartphone.
And they do say that aluminium foil in the wallet does work. ;)

Goid said:
HHmmmm!!! It worked a treat on my Westpac credit card but I've not tried the results on my other cards. I'll have to try them today just to make sure!!
Most of the US credit cards don't have the contact microchip so they randomly place the RFID chip. I admit as much as I love tech, I HATE that my finance are a radio-hack away.
I've got a few cards that I never use so I might have to dissect them and see.

I am old and skint so do not have a Credit Card only Eftpos these days. KMart has had their databases hacked so maybe lots more to come.

Keep getting the Paypal Phishing scam E-mails every few days though my account must be limited 250 times so far this year.

Exile said:
Sounds like you haven't heard you can scan cards with a smartphone.
And they do say that aluminium foil in the wallet does work. ;)
For real?

I mean it as a joke!

The aluminium foil bearing chip cutters do realise you are covered by the bank for unauthourised transactions? It is a mild pain in the arse to chase up but banks accept responsibility for breaches of their security system and will recover your funds. As for accidental transactions - why are you standing so close to the customer in front with your card out? I've never come across a terminal that sensitive. Most won't even register if I tap the wrong part of the machine (we're talking distances of about 20mm).

If it's a fraudulent transaction welly, you should be able to recover the funds. A while back I had a few hacks on a particular account - always got funds returned. I think it was a retailer I used regularly - either a dishonest customer rep but more lkkely their database was getting hacked with numbers being sold and ised at maltese betting agencies, etc. Retailer changed their system, nothing has occurred since, might be total coincidence.

manticle said:
The aluminium foil bearing chip cutters do realise you are covered by the bank for aunauthourised transactions? It is a mild pain in the arse to chase up but banks accept responsibility for breaches of their security system and will recover your funds. As for accidental transactions - why are you standing so close to the customer in front with your card out? I've never come across a terminal that sensitive. Most won't even tegister if I tap the wrong part of the machine (we're talking distances of about 20mm).
I think for me it's because I only ever check my accounts on a monthly basis and sometimes even longer. With the new mobile stations, it will be a concern in the future as someone with a phone can in fact read your card just about anywhere.

https://www.commbank.com.au/business/merchant-services/eftpos-options/mobile-payments.html

I agree that technology is getting a bit ahead of itself without putting reasonable security in place.

Freedom of choice but if I was paranoid (I used to be slightly more so) I wouldn't use a card at all.

manticle said:
Freedom of choice but if I was paranoid (I used to be slightly more so) I wouldn't use a card at all.
Generally I'm just the opposite. Never was one for conspiracy theories or thinking the government was out to get me, etc. etc.
I do however hate fighting with banks and when it comes to money I like to hedge my odds a bit. haha
I've only ever been ripped off once and that was in San Francisco and to this day have no idea how they pulled it off, but they did. $600 gone but I got it back from the vendor.

My visa debit card got done a month or so back, didn't notice for a day or two as I was on holidays. Almost 2k in total all on Microsoft something (I'm guessing xbox live but could be wrong). Was a little bit of a pain to deal with as I was in the states but NAB got it sorted pretty quickly. What I did find interesting was I hadn't used that card in along time, a few months at least. I used it at McDonald's around the corner to get food for my sister the night before we flew out, so I'm pretty sure that's where the details got stolen.

Tropico said:
Sam's Tyres, South Africa tried to take a payment, this was after some else took a very small amount.

Anyway the bank had picked it up and blocked it, and cancelled the card after I spoke to them.

The card details may have been picked up from malicious software on my computer, or otherwise from some companies on-line payment .
Yep mine was done last week with a South African purchase as well. My mates card was done too. We both did an online purchase through a new brew supplier at around the same time which had us wondering.....?
Obviously not going to post names because it is pure speculation but if a few other brewers are being scammed recently and have been purchasing online from a different supplier I would like to know.

manticle said:
The aluminium foil bearing chip cutters do realise you are covered by the bank for unauthourised transactions? It is a mild pain in the arse to chase up but banks accept responsibility for breaches of their security system and will recover your funds.
The interesting thing is the banks charge the merchant a percentage for each transaction through the terminal, if a phone order is put through there is a criteria that the owner of the terminal must follow, a phone call to the bank for authorisation if that isn't done then it is the merchant who loses out not the bank, the bank retrieves the money and then returns it, it could take about 8 weeks if I remember right.
But who foots the fraud if it happens at the terminal?

Pre paid credit card for online purchases, and a standard EFTPOS card linked to your account is the go, reduces the risk of having all your money scammed significantly. Sure no card at all would be even better, but in this day and age you can't really get away from cards. If they scam your prepaid card, who cares just order a new one. I've been stung before, right at Christmas time when I needed my card the most. Caught it in time and was able to get my money back, but had no card until after the new year. Massive PITA at that time of year

While it wasn't a RFID rip off, it was slight of hand that got me in SF or so I think.
The missus wanted so souvenirs from one of the little stalls on the boardwalk and we all know a happy wife is a happy life right?

The whole lot of stuff was like $35 and the guy ran my card and held out the receipt for me to sign. Looked at it and it said $35 sure as shit and signed away. He quickly stuck my copy in my bag and off I went happy days. The next morning I was about to fly out of California back to Texas and noticed a receipt for $600 in the bag. I blew my top and grabbed a cab and he took me back to the shop. Of course the rip off artist wasn't there but the owner of the shop was there. I showed him my receipt and was absolutely ropeable. He looked at it, grabbed his machine and credited me back my $600 and said the souvenirs were on him. He called out to one of the other people working there and said "He's done it again... That's the last time.. When he comes in, send him home right away. He doesn't work here any more." Apologised for his shitty ex-employee and stated this was the 2nd time he's done it in a week and been caught out. apparently they get a 15% commission on all sales and was boosting sales for cash. Apparently on the 15th of October there will be no more signature sales and everything is now paypass or pin. Hard lesson learned for sure.
while I was gone collecting my $600 I was ripped off, the concierge of the hotel we stayed at helped themselves to my Bose QC15 headset.
Moral of the story is in San Francisco, if it's not ******* bolted down, some prick will steal it. Not nearly as bad here in Oz.

Exile said:
while its 'technically' possible, in the real world its incredibly difficult and also not very profitable (max is a single one time under $100 transaction and you need to get incredibly close to a card to get the response).. Any skimmed info is only usable once and contains no information usable for future or more useful use (e.g. no card numbers, CVVs, pin numbers etc etc)

Latest posts

Back