Anyone Determined Optimum Millmaster Rpm Yet?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdilley

Reaction score
Already pulled the trigger. Going to get one.

Called Mashmaster, asked for optimum RPM, no call back (yet).

The strangely chosen 12mm drive shaft means a custom casting for a wheel, which takes place in 2 weeks and if I don't sort out final size its another 3 months after that until the next castings are done.

Other mills said anything near 500RPM you start to bounce grain off the rollers so keep it under that. Others say keep it under 300.

I did all my preliminary calculations on a 1400 RPM motor (won't get a dead washingmashine to play with and find out what size motor it has until the weekend) and a 300 RPM end result for the mill. I can do slower but I'd have to change my casting order for a larger size wheel.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I read somewhere 150 but I canna find it now. When they gonna do somethin with the search doodad here?

Pete, no input for the rpm (I use a drill with mine) but I remember seeing a thread where browndog talked about setting up Ross' new mill at the shop and he said he had to use aluminium tape to get the wheel set right on the mill (or something similar). May save having to get the wheel cast?

I run my mill at ~120 rpm and works great.

I should note that I really can't push it any faster(arm gets too tired)

If thats the case, not an easy target to hit with 1400RPM motor with 2 wheels. A 9.33 reduction, so a 1.5" with 1.35 pitch would mean a big wheel of about 13.5" to hit near 150.

Really depends on what I find in an old 80's Simpson washer and even if it works.

Pete, no input for the rpm (I use a drill with mine) but I remember seeing a thread where browndog talked about setting up Ross' new mill at the shop and he said he had to use aluminium tape to get the wheel set right on the mill (or something similar). May save having to get the wheel cast?

Shim material will work but not optimum, drilled and pressed bushing would be better, but a 12mm hole would be best.

I think the casting one off lathe setup cost is actually less than bushed option so to date I'm leaning towards that.

Pete have you talked to your nearest CBC store or bearing supplier as they usually have pulleys of the shelf and theres always variable speed drives that can be built rather cheaply these days for single phase setups to give you output speeds but i dont know about torque outputs though

Tom

Edit speeling

Pete I don't think you have look hard enuff for a pully ... ( i could be wrong ) Many types of drive coupleings avaliable ... Try a bearing supply mob (googly says CBC in Fyshwick or BSC)

And I 'm very happy with the speed of mine ... around 220 rpm ....

cheers

edit: spent way too long looking for my old links and posts ... beaten by a few ... lol

I set mine up with a 1HP 1480rpm motor stepped down to 90rpm with a 1.5" on motor to 6" on an idler shaft then 1.5" to 6" on the Mill. One of the 6" pulleys I ended taking to an engineering service and he charged me $20 cash to sleeve it then machine a 12mm hole (if you want to go that way go to a small workshop - better chance of a cash deal) . The pulleys were about $7 - $10 a pop IIRC. In the end it probably cost a bit but hey its something you have for a lifetime and only buy once...

Next thing is to make the gear guard. Will try and get photo or 2 up soon..

Cheers

Sully

Search on AHB does leave much to be desired :)

Im driving around tomorrow down kambah way so migh give a look around the fysh (for wheels that is - ahem).

Ive only had the week and phone calls during lunch to search locally.

I built up a millmaster for Ross to use in his shop and was stumped when it came time to fit a pulley to the shaft. I ended up getting some aluminium tape at stuck enough turns around the shaft to have to hammer the pulley on. The result was it was as solid as a rock, I reckon it would have cracked the odd kg of grain or two in the last 12 months and is still going strong.

cheers

Browndog

Pete, this is the mob that made up my gear sprocket for my Millmaster mill:

normal.gif

May as a well plug aus pulley co again :) cast and machined 1A 10" with 12x4 bore x key alu pulley for $55. very happy after the sh*t i went though for the weeks leading up to finding them.

I've read around 200rpm is optimum, but that was quoted for a mill with smaller diameter rollers (think of the speed of the surface of the roller). so I went a bit lower. I run a 6 pole (920rpm) 1ph motor with a 1.25" pulley onto the 10" gives me about 115rpm.

May as a well plug aus pulley co again :) cast and machined 1A 10" with 12x4 bore x key alu pulley for $55.
For the mechanically challenged (i.e. me), what does all this mean?? I feel like I've accidentally switched to the German news on SBS.
I haven't got my MM yet, but will eventually look to drive it somehow other than with the crank handle. Maybe a photo or two with labels?
cheers,
ben.

The millmaster was made with a 12mm shaft for some ridiculous reason - metric sized pulleys are (as I've discovered) very hard to source.

The company that I mentioned make their own pulleys, and normally only do imperial sized bores (ie the hole in the middle that goes over the shaft). And the size of the pulley I needed (outside diameter) normally has a minimum of 1/2" (12.7mm) - it's close but the difference is too big. I asked the guy there if next time they cast their pulleys (method of manufacture) if he could put one aside and machine it to a custom size for me. 12mm x 4mm is 12mm diameter with a 4mm keyway (which is like a little slot in the mill shaft and pulley that locks the pulley to the shaft).

Turns out he could do this which was good. 1A means the pulley is designed to run a single A-section belt. As far as I know that's just the shape of the belt.

Clear it up? :p

I am currently looking into sourcing a pulley for the millmaster. Have already been in contact for with auspully thanks sammus

Latest posts

Back