Anyone Brewed Any Of Zamil Zainasheff's Recipes ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made his "Belgian speciality" i.e. Orval recipe. It's great. Had a few mates round for a barbie last weekend and they all loved it - I was a bit surprised, as it's not really a mainstream kind of beer.

I thought the mild needed to be mashed at ~67-68degs to get the body, but I could be way off the mark.

I'm not familiar with Jamils recipe, so can't comment on it directly. However, every other Mild recipe I've seen is indeed mashed at 67-68, if not hotter...

And I really wanted to hit 68 (which is recommend in BCS) except I'd just added the strike water and given it a good stir when Sam our two month old son finally pooed after a four day hiatus. Was like a crack of thunder. He filled his nappy with brown goop that overflowed onto the dress of his four year old sister who was looking after him when daddy was starting his beer. Sister was very cranky. All needed an emergency bath and then some soothing.

When I returned to the mash half an hour later, temp was 65. Must have been low on the strike.

The beer is fine and its called, obviously, Baby Poo Brown (even though its a mild). :p

Ecosse.

I have brewed, but still in the cube, a Jamil (BYO mag) recipe American blonde.
Today, I'm making the Jamil BYO mag Roggenbier

A tried and true recipe is a good starting point to familiarise yourself with a style and the flavours to expect,... especially if you can't buy it here!

Les

The net recipes appear slighty different to the book .

The book is a great reference book for the styles .

I am alway checking up mine .

Nothing like a nice new book to thumb through .

To a beer nerd this book 'could' be regarded as better than se..............

Pumpy :)

No.
But have tried 1 or 2 recipes followed by other people.
Having too much fun making my own.

Pete

That's exciting, Andrew! Respect!

I find Jamil to be useful, when I try to brew an example of a new style.
I prefer to brew a beer, to get a handle on a style, rather than buy a stale Eurobeer. Obviously there is some drinking involved too.

Imagine the drinking that Jamil puts into his research, and vice versa.

2 recent examples are American blonde and the Dampfbier that redefined the term "box 'o' exploders". Roggenbier brewed today. Just off to pitch the yeast into the culture bottle for a weizen yeast. The mother culture has been tasted and is very nice, thank you.

I noticed J'mil on this forum recently. Time to fire up the no-chill thread. Anyone got any aged home-made Fresh Wort kits??
Les out :p

My most recent beer from this book was the Alt, complete with 11% melanoidin malt. It turned out beautifully.

Even when I write my own recipe, I'll check my proportions against this book and Designing Great Beers just to make sure I haven't done anything stupid.

I have brewed, but still in the cube, a Jamil (BYO mag) recipe American blonde.
Today, I'm making the Jamil BYO mag Roggenbier

Les

Les,

Is that the same Roggenbier recipe as the BN podcast? I am planning to do that one really soon, you've gotta tell me how it went!

:icon_cheers:

Les,

Is that the same Roggenbier recipe as the BN podcast? I am planning to do that one really soon, you've gotta tell me how it went!

:icon_cheers:
I'll check the podcast and get back to you. If it's JC's Roggen, then it's probably very close.

Cheers

Les,

If it's JC's (aka Justin Crossley's) recipe, run like the wind. If it was a typo and you meant JZ's, all is good.

Cheers,
smudge

I have made Jamils English bitter the efficiency was such that it was a bit higher OG pushing it into the ESB range

I used the Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale yeast ,i used to live there (Yay! Tetley Bitter Fan )

it is a great rich malty nicely balanced bitter on my fourth schooner and no stopping me .

Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale -

This strain produces ales with a full chewy malt flavour & character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers.
Expect moderate nutty & stone-fruit esters. Best used for the production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB & mild ales. Reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Pumpy
Have you tried one of your beers filtered vs unfiltered?

Les,

If it's JC's (aka Justin Crossley's) recipe, run like the wind. If it was a typo and you meant JZ's, all is good.

Cheers,
smudge
Please excuse this sidebar convo. It's only a little off-topic.

For the record, the recipe is from BYO mag, which caters to my increasingly expanding beer horizon.
J.C. is John Curtis - the brewer for Barleys in Las Vegas, who makes the best Roggenbier that JZ ever tasted, and I'd imagine that could be a large number of Roggen's.
HTH. ;)
I'm just waiting for the yeast culture to be ready,...and pitch-er-ooney. To be brewed at 17C to minimise weizen esters.
Beerz.

Yep mine was about 65 too, a little thin perhaps but definitely a quaffer. Really pales against the ESB that I've just fetched from the shed.

Gotta second what Thirsty Boy said about adjusting Jamils recipes for local malts. Not really a problem with the base malts but sometimes matching his crystals can be tricky.

Just as an example the Oatmeal Stout planned for Monday asks for 500 L black roasted malt (which I reckon is about 1000EBC) but I can only source it at 650 to 750 L (or 1300-1500 EBC). Also had to sub his Briess Victory Malt for Bairds Amber. Can't imagine that my tastebuds will tell the difference but I aim to start as close as possible to the recipe because, as Thirsty Boy says, the recipes should be sound and any faults in the beer will be due to my process.

Also should say that I brewed Jamil's Kolsch and my sister-in-law from Cologne really dug it. I've learnt that its best never to disappoint a German. ;)

Ecosse I found the Mild really bland and a touch watery out of the fermenter ,

But carbonated Its a fine English Mild a real dark beer nice flavour and body finished about 1.013 which gave the body it needed the west Yorkshire Ale yeast worked well .

I had to water the English bitter down a bit as too much flavour as the efficiency was a bit high .

I would make the Mild again when I have finished this forty litres

Back