Anyone Brewed Any Of Zamil Zainasheff's Recipes ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I have the 'Jamil ESB' Fermenting and just mashed the' Jamil Mild' ,

since being inspired by the Podcasts and reading his book 'Brewing Classic Styles'

have no results yet I wondered if anyone had any luck with his recipes ?

Pumpy :)

since being inspired by the Podcasts and reading his book 'Brewing Classic Styles'

Yeah Pumpy I did the ESB before Xmas with the London ESB Wyeast, my best beer! but shit there is not left :icon_drool2: I have only done 5 all grains now, three have been Jamil recipes. Heaps of tips in those podcasts.
My wife loved the mild, said it tasted like coffee/choc will be doing it again soon.

Great Sunshine Brewer that gives me some confidence .

Your right You can always pick up some tip in those podcasts

yes indeed.
Belgian Dark Ale
Trippel
Belgian Golden Ale

next...
Dubbel

I like em... I need to modify them to suit my 65%ish efficiency... I like the dialogue between those fellahs on the HBN radio podcasts

yes indeed.
Belgian Dark Ale
Trippel
Belgian Golden Ale

next...
Dubbel

I like em... I need to modify them to suit my 65%ish efficiency... I like the dialogue between those fellahs on the HBN radio podcasts

Swinging Beef I fancied that Dubbel recipe do you get good attenuation on your Belgians ?

Why is your efficiency 65% ?

Funny you should ask :) ...

I've been brewing Jamil for awhile now.

Just cracked the first bottle of his Programmer's Elbow ESB tonight. After 10 days in the bottle its delicious though certainly not a Fullers clone (not that Jamil claims it is). A nice chewy balanced English Pale. Typing this has convinced me to wander down to the shed to fetch another bottle.

I brewed the mild about six weeks ago. I'm finding it a wee bit thin but my mash temp was a bit low which might account for that.

The marzen went over a treat with everyone and is easily the best I've brewed. Lagering for four months didn't hurt it though. :p I have the bock cold conditioning and reckon it needs it.

Have his Sweet Stout in the fermenter and the Oatmeal lined up for an Australia day brew.

Cheers,
Nick.

Modified to reflect the differences my preferred mashing regime introduces, plus that I am using mega brewery base malt and Aussie specialties where they are appropriate - probably the majority of my beers start out from the base of Jamil recipe and are then tweaked to my liking as they are re-brewed.

The kolsch that won the Mash-Paddle was a Jamil recipe - differences were Mega Brewery base malt instead of pilsner, home toasted munich and Hersbrucker instead of Hallertau.

So different, but really as close to the original a I could get with what the ingredients I had available

And a class win for an Oktoberfest that was only one round of tweaking away from Jamil recipe.

I like the concept of the "Award Winning Recipe" book, that way you know that the recipe is sound, if the beer sucks it was your fault as a brewer, not as a recipe designer. I consider myself still a relative novice at this brewing caper; and when I am going with a style I might not have brewed or even tasted before, it reassures me to have someone else do the art work of recipe design - then I can concentrate on the craftwork of actually brewing it properly.

TB

Funny you should ask :) ...

I've been brewing Jamil for awhile now.

Just cracked the first bottle of his Programmer's Elbow ESB tonight. After 10 days in the bottle its delicious though certainly not a Fullers clone (not that Jamil claims it is). A nice chewy balanced English Pale. Typing this has convinced me to wander down to the shed to fetch another bottle.

I brewed the mild about six weeks ago. I'm finding it a wee bit thin but my mash temp was a bit low which might account for that.

The marzen went over a treat with everyone and is easily the best I've brewed. Lagering for four months didn't hurt it though. :p I have the bock cold conditioning and reckon it needs it.

Have his Sweet Stout in the fermenter and the Oatmeal lined up for an Australia day brew.

Cheers,
Nick.

Ecosse I mashed my Mild about 65-66C hope it was not too low ?

Is it a quaffing beer

Is it a quaffing beer
Yep mine was about 65 too, a little thin perhaps but definitely a quaffer. Really pales against the ESB that I've just fetched from the shed.

Gotta second what Thirsty Boy said about adjusting Jamils recipes for local malts. Not really a problem with the base malts but sometimes matching his crystals can be tricky.

Just as an example the Oatmeal Stout planned for Monday asks for 500 L black roasted malt (which I reckon is about 1000EBC) but I can only source it at 650 to 750 L (or 1300-1500 EBC). Also had to sub his Briess Victory Malt for Bairds Amber. Can't imagine that my tastebuds will tell the difference but I aim to start as close as possible to the recipe because, as Thirsty Boy says, the recipes should be sound and any faults in the beer will be due to my process.

Also should say that I brewed Jamil's Kolsch and my sister-in-law from Cologne really dug it. I've learnt that its best never to disappoint a German. ;)

Is it a quaffing beer

I thought the mild needed to be mashed at ~67-68degs to get the body, but I could be way off the mark.

What a coincidence, I just picked up a copy of brewing classic styles yesterday (on the advice of the good people at AHB :p) And am planning my next brew to be the extract version of his old treacle mine old ale recipe, replacing the pale malt extract with ldme (mainly for the cost factor) and replacing the horizon with fuggles (because its what I have in the fridge, and I dont like to hold onto hops for too long)

Good to hear some feed back about his recipes from other brewers!

I thought the mild needed to be mashed at ~67-68degs to get the body, but I could be way off the mark.

I'm not familiar with Jamils recipe, so can't comment on it directly. However, every other Mild recipe I've seen is indeed mashed at 67-68, if not hotter...

BCS gives 68C as the suggested mashing temp for the mild

Modified to reflect the differences my preferred mashing regime introduces, plus that I am using mega brewery base malt and Aussie specialties where they are appropriate - probably the majority of my beers start out from the base of Jamil recipe and are then tweaked to my liking as they are re-brewed.

The kolsch that won the Mash-Paddle was a Jamil recipe - differences were Mega Brewery base malt instead of pilsner, home toasted munich and Hersbrucker instead of Hallertau.

So different, but really as close to the original a I could get with what the ingredients I had available

And a class win for an Oktoberfest that was only one round of tweaking away from Jamil recipe.

I like the concept of the "Award Winning Recipe" book, that way you know that the recipe is sound, if the beer sucks it was your fault as a brewer, not as a recipe designer. I consider myself still a relative novice at this brewing caper; and when I am going with a style I might not have brewed or even tasted before, it reassures me to have someone else do the art work of recipe design - then I can concentrate on the craftwork of actually brewing it properly.

TB

Yes Thirsty ,

I had fun with the home toasted crystal to try to copy the Briess Special Roast Malt he uses , but it did have a burnt raisiny flavour as he described . in one recipe .

I am the same with recipes I like a tried an tested recipe as I hate ending up with 40 litres of a beer that if it dont work out I have to blame myself for it destroys my confidence .

Yo are right Mika he did advise to mash the Mild a bit higher temp to end up with more unfermentable sugar so it had more residual sweetness & body, I also remember him saying it in the Mild podcast

Ive got the bitter in a cube for tomorrow. The book uses the Rager formula for bittering, which is not the default program in beersmith.

Would i be correct in substituting special roast for brown malt?

He says on page 289 a 2L starter doubles your yeast. So if i made a 2L starter than split it and made 2 more 2L starters id have the equivalant of 4 liquid yeasts?

Ive got the bitter in a cube for tomorrow. The book uses the Rager formula for bittering, which is not the default program in beersmith.

Would i be correct in substituting special roast for brown malt?

He says on page 289 a 2L starter doubles your yeast. So if i made a 2L starter than split it and made 2 more 2L starters id have the equivalant of 4 liquid yeasts?

Damian

This is what Jamil told me to do when I asked him about sourcing Victory Malt & Breisse Special Roast Malt (Dont tell anyone it a secret) ;)
The Special roast should taste like baked raisins on top of cookies and it does exactly
:-

"As a victory malt substitute, the bairds amber might be a decent choice.

For special roast, it is tricky. You might try taking some crystal malt, maybe in the 25 to 40 L range (approx 50 to 80 EBC), wet it down, let it stand for a day at room temp, then toasting it up in the oven. Use maybe 250 to 300F until the color is slightly darker than the untoasted. Not sure how well that would work, since I've never tried it, but I'd think it should get you close."

JZ

yeah i've brewed a few of JZ's

Roggenbier (3 times with different yeasts) :icon_drool2:
Kolsch with Wyeast 2575
Cream Ale

cheers

I've got the book & have brewed the following;

Blonde Ale
American Wheat
Scottish 80/-
English Mild
Cream Ale

All of them have turned out nicely. Only the Blonde Ale turned out a dud after getting a lacto infection, but that's my fault as a brewer, not a recipe flaw.

Like others, I adjusted the recipes to suit my efficiency and equipment. I use his grain bill to get the %'s worked out and then adjust my qty to get the intended OG in BeerSmith. As already noted, he uses Rager for hop IBU calc's and the default in BeerSmith is Tinseth. It's an easy option to change though.

When I can, I also like listening to the Podcast's. I had 6 hours of driving to do yesderday and listening to JZ and the crew made the time pass quickly. I really love the "locker room" humour.

In short, for new AG brewers, there are really only two books you need - Brewing Classic Styles + Palmer's How to Brew.

Back