Any Thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trooper

Reaction score
hi everybody,
I was a bit strapped for cash over the hols, you know the usual money for pressies ect so rather than spend my spare cash on gas which I was out of I decided the most economical way was to do a couple of kit brews and experiment with ingredients, so this is what I went with.I went over to my favourite hb store and purdhased a can of Coopers pale ale,a can of Coopers brewmasters pilsner (I think thats what its called) 500g of ldme, 1kg of brewers sugar of 500g dark malt ,30gs of saaz hop pellets and 30g of cascade hops,I also had a pkt of dried corn siryp laying around at home also.So what I did was I mixed up the malts with the sugars made up the pale ale with 1kg of my brew mix and I used safale american ale yeast (which I recovered from a previous a.g. pale ale brew) the pilsner I mixed with my brew mix.I let them ferment out then racked them into a couple of 20ltr jerry cans I dry hopped the pilsner with the saaz and the pale ale with the cascade for 7 days .then kegged the both up .
I was plesantly suprised with the Pale ale ,I've used it before with good reults but it came out even better than I expected ! I personally think using cascade to dry hop with creates an excellent pale ale! As for the pilsner I found it a bit wanting not bad though but I think next time hallatau would produce a better result. any thoughts ,Will be throwing a heritage draft in on the weekend any suggetions for dry hopping ? I thinking of about 40g of hallatau.

I've had nice results from Hersbrucker, but i think it may be similar to hallatau (which i haven't tried).

40g of Hallertau dry-hopping seems like a lot to me. Try a 20 minute boil with half, and use the other half dry in the fermentor. Only thing to watch out for would be the extra bitterness, but a kilo of LDME should cover it up.

Cheers - boingk

The need to dry hop,is, imo, proof that the originl recipe is lacking......

Latest posts

Back