Any Other Tight*rse Ballarat Brewers Here?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lecterfan

Yeast, unleashed in the East...
Reaction score
Hi all,

I frequent the local shop in Ripon street alot and buy a lot of my stuff from there, particularly some basic grains, some hops and some sundries like bottle tops etc....BUT I also do a few internet orders and I go to G+G reasonably frequently (or have Melbourne friends stop there on the way to my place...in return for beer of course :icon_cheers: ). The LHBS are a great resource and I encourage us all to use them.

But...

I would just like to "put it out there" and say that if anyone is interested in creating a small and manageable co-op where we can split the cost of delivery/postage, or even alert one another when we are going to G+G (hell, why not just split the cost of fuel and drive down there or whatever?) etc then I would be a keen to participate. I am on a tight budget but am now doing AG and am always keen to make the best beer that my humble resources are capable of.

The offer is open to everyone but may be of more benefit to mashers or hop/yeast snobs (or people that like to experiment with the freshest and best you can find).

Anyway, PM if you want in or just post a reply. If you think it is a shit idea and you don't want to be in it then there's probably no need to add your comment... :drinks:

Hopefully the idea could extend itself so that we organise trips to events in Melbs like demos at G+G or the Westgate Brewers shindig this weekend etc...

Eventually I might learn a thing or two.

Cheers.

yeah, hell, why not. I tend to find most of my ingredients come via the 'enter' key on the keyboard but I do get down to the LHBS like I did this week to pick up some yeast I forgot and submit my vicbrew entries.
There has been some attempts at getting a bit of a brewerhood happening, so if this helps, I'm all for it and will help when / where I can.

Nice one! I just figure a small group of people might be able to make life a bit easier for each other. I'm not suggesting we form a committee to start a discussion group to think-tank a mission statement for a proposal on how best to make ourselves feel important...but if I'm headed down to Melbs to see some mates I can send an email/text whatever a few days in advance and I can pick up supplies for people thus saving postage AND you can be assured I'll have an eski full of ice to keep the stuff fresh between destinations.

As things stand I will be doing a majorish CB order next week OR maybe going to G+G in the week commencing 27/09 sometime.

I'll PM you a few days before either happens.

Hi mate, yep i'd be interested for sure :)

i'm in the same boat, nearly always broke, so i do everything on a budget

i'm new(ish) to brewing but i'm trying new things and getting some good results

there was talk of a brewers clubs in ballarat a while back but there was a lack of interest so it fell through

Thanks for the PM Dave.

Sorry to everyone who is not interested in this thread but I will keep bumping it now and again...I can't really put a poster up in the local brew shop unless I am willing to go all out and start a club, and I don't have the inclination for that just yet...just want to create a network of people that can co-operate to one another's brewing benefit. :icon_cheers:

I'd be up for it. I go down to G&G every so often. During the last bulk buy that MXD organised, I couldn't get down to G&G to pick up my grains, so Vic45, who is also in Ballarat, kindly picked mine up.
Cheers

I'd be up for that arrangement as well.

I try to support the LHBS wherever possible, but it's hard to on things like hops when you go there and ask for some and they pull out the bag from G & G and on sell them with their profit added on! There must be a better way for them to get their supplies.

Anyway I often get a mate to pick stuff up for me from G & G. I don't really need anything at the moment, I stocked up big when their 20% off sale was on.

I've just started using liquid yeast as well so if any Ballarat brewers want to share some yeast I'd be up for that. I plan on splitting the smack packs.

Awesome stuff, I will PM everyone in due course so we can get a network going of names and preferred contact details (numbers/emails etc).

Sounds like this is a pretty common arrangment...I'm out in brown hill so G+G is only about 60 minutes away with the deer park bypass.

Hi guys,

just so you know I am waiting to see if there are any more replies to this thread or my PM, but we have a pretty good base already and should soon be able to save some money and maybe even taste the various brews that we are all coming out with.

Special thank you to Millet Man (and Screwtop by default) as well.

I reckon this should be worthwhile...

Latest posts

Back