Selling beer brewed offsite - Nano-brewery start-ups in Qld

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pcqypcqy said:
For those shocked at the limitations of the criteria above, this is how Councils try to make sure that only residential things happen in residential areas. i.e. They can't explicitly state "no nano breweries in residential areas" in planning codes/legislation, but they make it damn hard for you to comply with the permissible criteria.

To me it sounds like the only thing that would fit within that self assessable criteria is to have a home based, one-man-band type service that doesn't involve customers, like professional consulting or a web based business.
yep knew there was something I forgot to explain. Most councils only want to see office based home based business, any other types of businesses run the risk of upsetting the neighbours and thus creating more hassle for council in the long run. So if businesses set up in the right areas (industrial/commercial) it is better for everyone.

Also the limitations I listed are only for the Brisbane city council area, other councils will have different provisions/requirements.

All of what people are saying is correct, however can be done without too much hassle. Be prepared to out grow it pretty quickly.

It is a good strategy to dip the toe in the water, but long term is not viable due to all the negative reasons stated previously, that and you run out of space pretty quickly (hence my upcoming move to a commercial premises).

The big issue is not necessarily the size of the brewhouse (saying that, go as big as you can afford and try to double it), but more the fermenting space you have available. That will be the biggest hurdle on a small set up, there are huge scale of economy savings the bigger the system. you can run a brewhouse 24 hrs a day if needed but you can ferment any faster, so spend more on the fermenting set up over a bigger brewhouse.

Lee

Bumping this along. Just wondering how/if the OP got on with this process

Latest posts

Back