Any interest in a brew club to the north of Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, and I'll be the fellow with the unkempt beard probably holding a disshevelled black Fedora hat. Wonder if we should get a table sign? Look forward to it anyway.

Well, I just sent an email to the Alehouse Project saying the best estimate I can give at the moment of the numbers is 25, plus or minus 10. I know that’s a pretty big error margin, but it’s really impossible to know how many people who say they are coming actually will come, and how many people are lurking, not saying anything, but who intend to turn up on the night.

Still on for Tues the 7th at 7:30?

Will try to make it, but no promises. Will try to bully a mate into coming too.

Yep, still on for 7:30 on Tuesday the 7th at the Alehouse Project on Lygon Street, Brunswick.
I just got a reply back from Alex, and the side room is reserved for us.

Side room - that's excellent. I'll update those details on facebook so those who are coming or just thinking of will know exactly where to find one another!

Dont think I can make that date sorry Gents, Have a great night.

Sorry guys I'm out. I have a dinner that night for a friend who is going back to France.
Keep us posted on the outcome. Still keen to be part of a brew club.

OK folks. With less than 24 hours to go I thought I'd try putting together a basic agenda here. I'm not certain what's going to happen tomorrow, but I don't intend to stand up with a bunch of Powerpoint slides or anything. I get enough of that kind of stuff at work. But hopefully people won't just talk in their own separate huddles, so I guess we need to try to apply some kind of order to proceedings.
I tried to talk to Phil at Thunder Road again to try to clarify exactly what is on offer, but unfortunately I haven't been able to see him as yet. However I'm told he'll be in tomorrow, so will try to pop in on the way back from work.
So anyway, the things I think we need to discuss include, but are not limited to..
  1. Do we want a constitution, an elected committee with officers (e.g. Treasurer, Chairman, etc.)? Or something less formal? Bear in mind that if we are doing anything that involves collective funds (which we probably will), this implies someone being in charge of the money.
  2. Do we want to be purely about homebrewing? Or beer appreciation generally? I'm agnostic on this. Happy for it to be purely about brewing, but I do appreciate the good commercial stuff.
  3. Do we want to limit the type of brewing to beer (mead, cider, or God help us, wine)?
  4. Do we want to limit membership in any way? e.g. by geography?
  5. How often do we want to meet?
  6. Where should we meet? I'm personally not keen on people's homes. But we may be able to find a regular venue. If the Thunder Road premises is not an option, then maybe somewhere like the Neighbourhood House in the old railway station on Park Street may be an option. However if we're boiling wort & stuff there, there may be insurance implications.
  7. What kinds of things do we want to do? Lots of inspiration can be gained from other clubs here.
  8. What shall we call ourselves? "Northern Brewing Club" has been mentioned? Anyone able to come up with a good acronym or pun on, well the usual stuff, hops, yeast, pitching, wort, etc.?
  9. Anything else people can think of.
Look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow!

Kevin

Yup, despite the noise at the venue and slight difficulty with seating, I thought it was a really good meeting. Sounds like there are some interesting brew setups in the group and some intriguing brews having been done. Looking forward to meeting again and learning more about other members and their operations.

I took some notes on what we discussed which might help get things rolling once the new subforum is up, or at our next meet. They're just getting a little review at the moment but should be available soon for any interested...

Thanks TimT for the subforum request :)

Hi folks!

I may be jumping the gun here but I'm arriving in Melbourne near the end of this month staying with a mate for the foreseeable future. Their house is in Moonee Ponds and Google tells me that isn't far away at all from Brunswick. I would be super keen to join something like this as I'm looking to start brewing again whilst residing in Australia.

I'll keep my eyes peeled on this. :)

Unfortunately got stuck at work and couldn't get there. Will def be at the next meeting and like to see the notes on what was discussed :)

Can I suggest guys , that if you do go the route of a commitee etc , you have a look at incorporation. It provides a level of insurance against the commitee members.
The dept of justice is your go to , for this.
Sounds like it was a good first meet. Well done to the organisers.

Kevin Hawley said:
  1. Do we want a constitution, an elected committee with officers (e.g. Treasurer, Chairman, etc.)? Or something less formal? Bear in mind that if we are doing anything that involves collective funds (which we probably will), this implies someone being in charge of the money.
  2. Do we want to be purely about homebrewing? Or beer appreciation generally? I'm agnostic on this. Happy for it to be purely about brewing, but I do appreciate the good commercial stuff.
  3. Do we want to limit the type of brewing to beer (mead, cider, or God help us, wine)?
  4. Do we want to limit membership in any way? e.g. by geography?
  5. How often do we want to meet?
  6. Where should we meet? I'm personally not keen on people's homes. But we may be able to find a regular venue. If the Thunder Road premises is not an option, then maybe somewhere like the Neighbourhood House in the old railway station on Park Street may be an option. However if we're boiling wort & stuff there, there may be insurance implications.
  7. What kinds of things do we want to do? Lots of inspiration can be gained from other clubs here.
  8. What shall we call ourselves? "Northern Brewing Club" has been mentioned? Anyone able to come up with a good acronym or pun on, well the usual stuff, hops, yeast, pitching, wort, etc.?
  9. Anything else people can think of.
Hey Guys,

Could not make the meeting last night due to work.

How do you go discussing these points?

Cheers

We discussed them all right. We gave them a good hard discussion. Beermeupscotty took some notes which should be much more reliable than my poor memory. Watch this space!

Latest posts

Back