Any Hand Pumped Ales In Sydney Cbd?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Planning to hit Sydney for a week at the Beginning of August. So far my experience of craft beers in Sydney (note I've only been there once since I started brewing and that was nearly 3 years ago) was of frozen orange coloured chill hazed beer - i.e. at the Lord Nelson - and it would be great to have access to some nice hand pumped ales served at the correct temperature, such as I had in NZ last year. Staying at Chippendale, so handy for anything in the CBD or fringes. I believe the Coach and Horses only does hand pumped beer on certain "club" nights?

redoak i think does some occasionally

Redoak in the CBD do them sometimes but very cold and very expensive. And I believe Harts towards the Rocks do them sometimes too. Never heard of Coach & Horses so can't comment. Did you go there last time you were here Bribie? Do you remember where it was?

Gotta catch the ferry, but Murrays in Manly have Punch and Judys on hand pump.

This thread has come about at the perfect time, I am off to Sydney this weekend and a few weeks and will be sure to try these out!

Bribie old chap, you timed that perfectly.

I'm on leave from work for the first week of August so will be free to catch up almost any day. A ferry ride to Manly for some hand pumped punch and judy does sound quite worthwhile.

Bribie we'll have to organise a catch up at Schwarz (Macquarie Hotel) or the Pumphouse.

Goodo - sounds indeed perfect, I've never been sober in Manly yet and this will continue the unbroken trend. Will be great to catch up and put some faces to avatars over the week & have a serious beer with Pollux again.

intinerary (May Allah speed my camel and preserve me) is

XPT to Newcassel getting there Monday for 2 nights
A few nights in Redfern just about on the Block (I always love a place with local - erm - colour) :ph34r:
""" Epping at a buddy's place

The other aspect of the trip is my No. 2 hobby of photographing Victorian terrace houses and streetscapes - hence the stop off at the other Newcastle :rolleyes: (touched base with MHB) and staying in the heart of terraced heaven in Sydney.
Hope there's a brewday on somewhere as well :beerbang:

Slight hi-jack/off topic...

:icon_offtopic:

Has the James Squire pub at darling Harbour closed down?

Will be in Sydney for City 2 Surf and need a watering hole in town after the race.

Thinking the Rocks might be the go - some others no longer welcome at Lowenbrau though...

Cheers

kev

Their website is still current. Are you confusing it with some posts recently about the Melbourne JS closing?

Just bumping. I have gone firm :) on the travel plan:

Staying at the YWCA (the Y hotel) at Redfern on Wed 3 August up to and including Fri 5 August so looking forward to a pissup or five.

YWCA.jpeg

Will post nearer to date :icon_cheers:

Slight hi-jack/off topic...

:icon_offtopic:

Has the James Squire pub at darling Harbour closed down?

Will be in Sydney for City 2 Surf and need a watering hole in town after the race.

Thinking the Rocks might be the go - some others no longer welcome at Lowenbrau though...

Cheers

kev

It's now just the King St Brewhouse, they've dropped the Squires, they do Rocks Brewery beers and White Rabbit off the top of my head.

OOPS
Missed the name change:

beer range is

Brewers Bright (SAB Miller)

Blue Tongue Lager (SAB Miller)

Blue Tongue Pilsner (SAB Miller)

Miller (SAB Miller)

White Rabbit Dark Ale (Lion Nathan)

White Rabbit White Ale (Lion Nathan)

Little Creatures Pale Ale (Lion Nathan)

Blue Tongue Light (SAB Miller)

Grolsch (SAB Miller)

Peroni (SAB Miller)

OK

Excellent, thanks guys, enough there to keep me happy for a while and to keep the rest more than happy after the run!

Staying at Manly, only a few doors along from 4 Pines, so a few beers at King St., then onto the ferry for Murray's and Pines...

Kev

Hey Kevo, the bar is on King Street Wharf at the Harbour, not King Street in Newtown which is off the CBD, as long as you realise that and not head for the wrong suburb :icon_cheers:

another one to add to the mix the taphouse at darlinghurst seems like a popular spot , look them up.
Though i have never personally been there.

OOPS
Missed the name change:

beer range is

Brewers Bright (SAB Miller)

Blue Tongue Lager (SAB Miller)

Blue Tongue Pilsner (SAB Miller)

Miller (SAB Miller)

White Rabbit Dark Ale (Lion Nathan)

White Rabbit White Ale (Lion Nathan)

Little Creatures Pale Ale (Lion Nathan)

Blue Tongue Light (SAB Miller)

Grolsch (SAB Miller)

Peroni (SAB Miller)

OK

Craig Deacon is brewing at the King St Wharf but they are waiting on Licencing approval because of the Brewery "ownership" change I did taste the stout from the Tank its it was exellent ,

And yes it seems that Bluetounge\SAB Miller must of offered or where asked by the King St Wharf to offer a better tap contract than the MaltShovel/Loin Nathan could ,but Chuck Hahn has never been a big fan of tap contracts anyway coming from a small Independent brewing background .

Theres lots of good beer bars in Sydney right now .

The Pumphouse has Matt Doneleans beer and Matt is Brewing the Pump-house classic Tunderbolt ...they also had Brewdog on Tap and a great Bottle Beer selection ....if you can talk to Liam hes very knowlegable .

The Redoak is OK but be careful of Dirty glassware (bubbles on the side of the glass) and dirty beer lines ,the Porter was showing signs of infection (acidity) when I was there ,I was informed by Simon the Manager at Redoak that thier Handpump is Broken so I emailed him where he could get seal kits .

Harts in the Rocks-Mark Fethers is doing a great job and promating a once a month beer degustation dinner and has thier own beers brewed by Scott Morgan and several gueast beers including Pulse by Doc at the moment ,check the Harts Pub Facebook page for new beers and specials ,

The Schwartz brewery at the Macqaurie Hotel is fine but lacks the atmosphere of a brewpub .its quite strange to have the covers band blaring in the background and pokies everywhere ,while your trying to enjoy a good craft beer .

The Local Taphouse is great of course but out of the way which can be a good thing ;).... but if you know the back streets of Darlinghusrt its not that hard to get to from the Schwartz brewery,

At the Lord Nelson Damo is doing a Great job brewing the beer and Andrew Robson ...,Mel Robson's son (ESB Homebrew), is the assistant brewer,

If you get the chance also go to Manly on the Ferry for 4 pines right across the road from the Ferry wharf .....and if you have to Have a Hand pump go to Murray's at Manly but the service most poeple have had there is pretty bad at the moment ,The Styene has a great tap list also .

Also look out for the Belgian Beer Cafe and Bavarian Beer Cafe . I prefer the Belgian !

Thanks Matt
I know Inner Sydney like the back of my **** because my other hobby is photographing victorian terrace houses, which is what I'll be doing between beer stops. Interesting to hear about the Steyne, haven't been there for 2 years and last time it was just megaswill - as it happens I'll be going out to Manly on the ferry with whoever wants to come as well (2 rounded up so far) to sample the wares out there.
Could be a useful AHB outing if we can get some crew together at Circular Quay and arrange a day, Sat 6 or Sun 7??

Cheers

Thanks Matt
I know Inner Sydney like the back of my **** because my other hobby is photographing victorian terrace houses, which is what I'll be doing between beer stops. Interesting to hear about the Steyne, haven't been there for 2 years and last time it was just megaswill - as it happens I'll be going out to Manly on the ferry with whoever wants to come as well (2 rounded up so far) to sample the wares out there.
Could be a useful AHB outing if we can get some crew together at Circular Quay and arrange a day, Sat 6 or Sun 7??

Cheers

Best place to Start a Pub Crawl seems to be Central Station because the Taphouse and the Pumphouse are not that far away ,

From Circular Quay it would be Harts ,Aussie ,Lord ,Redoak ,King St ---(Sober up Stroll through Darling Harbour)--- Pumphouse ,Maquarie then the Taphouse if your going from Central reverse the order.

Craig Deacon is brewing at the King St Wharf but they are waiting on Licencing approval because of the Brewery "ownership" change I did taste the stout from the Tank its it was exellent ,

And yes it seems that Bluetounge\SAB Miller must of offered or where asked by the King St Wharf to offer a better tap contract than the MaltShovel/Loin Nathan could ,but Chuck Hahn has never been a big fan of tap contracts anyway coming from a small Independent brewing background .

Bribie

You have my mob's, if your into Victorian houses you may have to come and take piccies and have a refreshing ale!

For KSW its been the same owner for years, more a failed branding attempt by Squires. But I would question the comments about tap pouring agreements and Squires brands. The very man himself in our last conversation advised I had to take not 1 but 2 lines under contract to get supply of any of the Squires, this wothout any 'investment' for our venue to warrant the contract. So I would correct that point and say Chuck is definitely a fan of tap contracts.

Scotty

Latest posts

Back