Any fridgies around? Keg fridge problem (480L Kelvinator no frost)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kz412

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been using a 480L Kelvinator No Frost fridge as my kegerator for about 6 months now, however lately the fridge compartment has been sitting around 10-15 degrees, whilst the freezer compartment is ice cold. Pulling the back panels off, I saw that the evaporator fan wasn't spinning. A trip to eBay and 10 minutes with some wire strippers and a screwdriver later, up and running again - for a week or so. Fan not turning again.

I've double checked wiring etc., everything seems fine. Short of grabbing a multimeter off my brother to track down exactly where it's failing, any obvious ideas or things to look for so I can have a cold beer in the meantime?

Bit of ice around the coils and the defrost element. The button for the door seems to be working fine, fridge light switches on and off when I push it.

I had a similar problem with my fridge I had a faulty fan so bought a new one but it didn't work also, so then I checked voltage, I only had 80 volts at the fan motor. I figured there was a hot or bad joint some where but I couldn't find it. I solve the problem by drilling a hole through the back where the Evap fan is located and running some orange circular cable to power the fan from the compressor power. Fridge works fine now.

Those fans have a habit of icing up. This can cause them to burn out

After rereading my original post (written after a beer or three last night), I should clarify - I grabbed a new fan motor off eBay and fitted it, and it was working for a week or two, but has failed again. You're right, still looking like the replacement may be a dud, just thinking I could be missing something obvious.

I'll grab a multimeter this week and check it, but it's looking like another fan motor is in order.

Its the only way to confirm also check to see if the ice on the coil has increased,i f it has youll need to defrost it otherwise it will keep on building up

The fan will switch off when the fridge goes into defrost mode. You could just bench test the fan before ordering a new one. Have you checked the defrost timer to see if it is stuck in defrost mode?

Back