Any coffee snobs out there?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Calling all coffee snobs.
Have any of you guys got a cold drip coffee maker?
I had some cold drip coffee over ice the other day @ Iron's & Craig & boy oh boy, I think I might just invest in one.
I had a glass over ice & another mixed with milk & it's seriously the best iced coffee I've had in my life.
The machine at the event was a Yama 25 cup machine but there is a smaller 6-8 cup model available as well.

YamaInAction.jpg

Mate, it's a top bit of gear and one of my favourite styles to have up here during the hotter months when drinked straight from the drip. The poor man's version is done this way.....500gm fresh lightly roasted coffee done to a grind on the medium side of coarse. Steep in 5L of chilled water, then strain through clean rinsed chux cloth into dispensing container.

I roast my own at home so am able to do either light roast for the brew styles or darker to put through my espresso machine. Most specialty coffee places (online or shopfront) will have light roasted beans which are what you're after for this. And there are some bloody brilliant beans out there that absolutely smash this style of drink..

Roasting your own would be awesome. I cant believe the quality of the finished product. They're not cheap but I could see myself drinking this on a daily basis.

Crusty, you should go and talk to the bloke at Bottero in Mclean

Yeah mate, I know Danny pretty well. It was his setup @Irons & Craig. I went in town to buy some but the boys told me that it was Danny's & they were just letting people sample the brews. Delicious.

I'm a ice offer fiend, anything would be cheaper then buying it made, and I've tried different recipes with not much success.

Shall look into using lightly roasted beans and the poor mans trick.

shaunous said:
I'm a ice offer fiend, anything would be cheaper then buying it made, and I've tried different recipes with not much success.
And what are your thoughts on Coffee as a stimulant...

I do a 20g of water to 1g of coffee steep overnight, 12hrs is good. Much longer and you get tannins.
Then through the chmex.
Look at WWW.bruer.co it's the best home cold drip machine for the price. Can't go wrong.
Love this style of coffee, so refreshing and a bit higher in caffeine than espresso.

Currently up your neck of the woods Crusty, been supporting the little take away on Palmers island daily. Coffees in the morning and crafties in the arvo. Nice folks they are.

11083865_10153091840040944_2770906189374786406_n.jpg

Yeah I like my coffee too... the Bruer is great actually, set it up the night before and wake up to good cold drip. Occasionally ill make up a bigger batch then bottle and chill it for takeaways too.

Dave70 said:
Currently up your neck of the woods Crusty, been supporting the little take away on Palmers island daily. Coffees in the morning and crafties in the arvo. Nice folks they are.
If you get a chance mate, drop in.
26 Palm Terrace not too far from Coles.

Righto! Who owns one of these Hario coffee syphons?
They come in 2, 3, or 5 cup versions. I don't mind the fiddling around if the coffee's good. My Espresso machine shat itself so looking for my coffee fix, hot or cold.
Yep! I'm addicted to gadgets. Chemistry in the kitchen, I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crusty said:
Righto! Who owns one of these Hario coffee syphons?
They come in 2, 3, or 5 cup versions. I don't mind the fiddling around if the coffee's good. My Espresso machine shat itself so looking for my coffee fix, hot or cold.
Yep! I'm addicted to gadgets. Chemistry in the kitchen, I like it.

Back up/travel kit I have is a aeropress and a kyocera hand grinder. Has always been the go if my machine has been out of action. Covers the cold shots as well, just refrigerate after brewing (coffee brewing, that is) . :beerbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Crusty said:
If you get a chance mate, drop in.
26 Palm Terrace not too far from Coles.
A bit OT and just a passing suggestion, but might be worth a mod removing the address in the thread for security purposes?

madpierre06 said:
Back up/travel kit I have is a aeropress and a kyocera hand grinder. Has always been the go if my machine has been out of action. Covers the cold shots as well, just refrigerate after brewing (coffee brewing, that is) . :beerbang:
If people are going to grab an Aeropress for a travel kit, then get the Porlex grinder, it fits in the well of the plunger perfectly and makes for a very compact kit.

I have a la pavoni europiccola - an old piston style manual machine....and boy do I love it.

madpierre06 said:
I roast my own at home so am able to do either light roast for the brew styles or darker to put through my espresso machine. Most specialty coffee places (online or shopfront) will have light roasted beans which are what you're after for this. And there are some bloody brilliant beans out there that absolutely smash this style of drink..
....I am really interested in doing this myself - what is your process? Do you have a specific coffee roaster, or use something like a pop-corn machine?

takai said:
If people are going to grab an Aeropress for a travel kit, then get the Porlex grinder, it fits in the well of the plunger perfectly and makes for a very compact kit.
I couldn't agree more. I travel frequently for work - and have my Aeropress kit (filters etc) and a mini Porlex grinder - you can adjust the grind on the machine and it only takes 2 min to wizz up one plunge worth of coffee...although my work mates do take the piss... (monkey with an organ grinder)...

dark_brew said:
I have a la pavoni europiccola - an old piston style manual machine....and boy do I love it.

....I am really interested in doing this myself - what is your process? Do you have a specific coffee roaster, or use something like a pop-corn machine?

I couldn't agree more. I travel frequently for work - and have my Aeropress kit (filters etc) and a mini Porlex grinder - you can adjust the grind on the machine and it only takes 2 min to wizz up one plunge worth of coffee...although my work mates do take the piss... (monkey with an organ grinder)...
Would love to get myself a lever action machine one day...on the justify/afford to list given I have a Bezerra Galatea Domus sitting on the bench matched with a Mazzer Major :)

My roaster is a hottop I picked up 2nd hand for $400 (it really has paid for itself), has not missed a beat in 5/6 years, there are those who use everything from slightly modified poppers (only do batches of around 100gm so impractical for me considering how much coffee we drink in the house), woks, modified bread makers (google corretto roaster, named after the gal from brissie who came up with it), as well as your smaller commercially made home roasters.

I'm not sure on the Porlex, I've never looked at to be honest. Got the Kyocera as part of a deal, I love how I can grind up a really decent batch of coffee and premake then chill shots. Have had plenty of the organ grinder comments etc as I have taken it to work at a couple places I've been at. They never once knocked back a coffee out of it though :D

Dave70 said:

Invites are ******* slim...

madpierre06 said:
I'm not sure on the Porlex, I've never looked at to be honest. Got the Kyocera as part of a deal, I love how I can grind up a really decent batch of coffee and premake then chill shots. Have had plenty of the organ grinder comments etc as I have taken it to work at a couple places I've been at. They never once knocked back a coffee out of it though :D
Its not so much a statement of superiority of purpose, the Kyocera still does the same thing. But if someone is buying from scratch, then this is the big advantage of the Porlex:
Mini_Porlex_in_Aerobie_AeroPress_1024x1024.JPG

I have an S-filter stainless filter with mine and it makes for a mean travel kit. Especially good in the US!

Back