Another first time cider maker needing help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylaw60

Reaction score
First time I have done anything like this. I am starting with the Brigalow Home Brew cider and it seems to be going okay. On day 6 I tested it and the SG had gone from 1.4 to 1.1 if I am reading it right and it was very fissy. I was told by someone that I had to wait until it had stopped fissing before bottling. I tested it again today day 10 and it is down to 1.0 and it is even more fissy than before. What should I be doing do I bottle it or do I wait.

Also do you sterilize the caps before bottling

Is there still activity through the airlock and visible bubbling..?

And yes, sterilise everything.
my tip is to use a no-rinse food area sanitiser, you just go nuts and spray everything within range, and your hands from time to time

It will be fizzy because it will have dissolved CO2 in it from the fermentation (technically it will be saturated with CO2) so fizzyness is not a good indicator of done-ness. The hydrometer reading of 1.000 is a good indicator. It could go down below 1.000 if its a high alcohol thing but it will never get below 0.996.

What you want is a hydrometer reading that stays stable over several days. That's the best indication that its really finished.

Cheers
dave

I am yet to see any bubbles go through the airlock. It has not moved. It is filled on both sides to the line is the right. Tastes good.

It may be clogged with kittens (sorry... old in joke)

Airlocks don't bubble for many reasons. Most likely because you have a leak somewhere else so the pressure is coming out there rather than the airlock.

Its the gravity dropping that's the real sign of fermentation.

Latest posts

Back