Another Electric Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asher

Junctyard Brewing
Reaction score
This tidy piece of kit fell into my lap a few months ago. Its a 60 litre all s/s cylindroconical insulated vessel on s/s legs. 1/2" drain, 2x 2" nipples + another 1/2" nipple near the top. In its past life it had a 2" screw-in immersion element in it and was used for heating something evil I'm sure. The cone is very shallow and some pitting on the inside of the stainless rules out any chance of it being used to ferment in. It would make a great mash tun but be a pain in the ass getting the grain out.... So HLT it will be....
It will be a stand alone setup with a single phase 2400w element, Digital thermostat (thanks to dreamboat) & sight glass(thanks to screwtop) that can be set on a timer.

Up to this stage I've been 'all gas' brewing so haven't paid much attention to the electric threads... Anyting I should be wary of? How long will a 2400w element take to heat 60 litres of water from 18 to 75deg?

Will update as project progresses... but here's a couple of pics

picture_001.jpg

picture_003.jpg

Asher for now

Asher.

That's an evil looking thing. :eek: Must be the black paint.

I heat 50 lts. with a 2400w element. My HLT is insulated. Takes anywhere from 90 mins to 2 hours to heat from ambient to 75c.

Generally I brew in the morning so I just set the HLT up on a timer overnight to come on a couple of hours earlier.

Warren -

The specific heat capacity of water is 4187 J/kgdeg
You have 60 kg of water, and want to raise it 57 degrees.
You need 14,320,000 Joules of energy
Power, measured in watts, is the rate of delivering energy
2,400 W is the same as 2,400 Joules per second

If you deleiver energy at 2,400 J/s, it takes 99 mins to deliver 14,320,000 Joules.

The answer is a bit more than 99 minutes, because some of the 2,400 Joules per second you are delivering is heating the wiring, heating the vessel, and being radiated and convected away. But it looks like a reasonably efficient system, so probably not that much more than 99 mins.

Latest posts

Back