Another Bulk Powells Malt Buy 4 Queenslanders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A slight off topic question guys but whats the general consensus of Powells malts these days?.Wouldnt mind trying some down the track.

Cheers
Big D

Whats the ball park figure for a sack?
I'm interested in a sack of pils and maybe a sack of munich -

wheres a list of grains available?

lou

I believe the varieties are....

Pilsner
Ale
Vienna
Munich
Wheat
caramalt

All Powells

Cheers
Andrew

A slight off topic question guys but whats the general consensus of Powells malts these days?.Wouldnt mind trying some down the track.

Cheers
Big D

Hi Big D
The only gripe I have was with the Pilsner giving a slightly lower eff, nothing that another scoop of grain didn't fix but apart from that I am happy with the malts. The caramalt is a really nice flavoured malt too.

Cheers
Andrew

Cheers
Big D

Hi Big D
The only gripe I have was with the Pilsner giving a slightly lower eff, nothing that another scoop of grain didn't fix but apart from that I am happy with the malts. The caramalt is a really nice flavoured malt too.

Cheers
Andrew
I agree with Andrew except I did not have to low eff with the Pilsner <_< , I like the Munich.

Whats the ball park figure for a sack?
I'm interested in a sack of pils and maybe a sack of munich -

wheres a list of grains available?

lou

Lou
These are the prices as of our last order,I would expect them to be similar

Pilsner $28
Ale $29
Vienna $30
Munich $31
Wheat $31
Melanoidin $33

Powells website shows their malts HERE I don't think they have Caramalt anymore,sad as it was really good.

Batz

Cheers
Big D

I could post you a couple of 3kg post packs of grain for a trial if you like Dave

Batz

Cheers
Big D

Hi Big D

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew,

Just wondering what you think of the overall pilsner flavour compared to the other grains you have used for pils/lagers?

compares favorably with the JW pilsner, but does not have quite the same malt profile as weyermann, bit of melanoidal solves that.
That reminds me Batz, is the melanoidal available? if so I wouldn't mind giving that a try.

Cheers
Andrew

compares favorably with the JW pilsner, but does not have quite the same malt profile as weyermann, bit of melanoidal solves that.
That reminds me Batz, is the melanoidal available? if so I wouldn't mind giving that a try.

Cheers
Andrew

Good to hear that, I have just crushed a pilsner with 4% Melanoiden for tomorrow brewing.

Will see how it treats me.

Cheers!

Cheers
Andrew

I've emailed Grant to ask what they have a present.
Answering emails usually takes them a few days.
The melanoidal may be worth a bag split between us mate

Batz

Thanks for the offer of a few trial kg bags of powells Batz but at this stage i cant see myself brewing in earnest for 2-3months due to winding things down for my move.

Cheers
Big D

Thanks for the offer of a few trial kg bags of powells Batz but at this stage i cant see myself brewing in earnest for 2-3months due to winding things down for my move.

Cheers
Big D

I remember that time Dave

Cheers
Big D

I like them and would not hesitate to use them big d.

I always have a sack of their ale or pils malt to brew with. The efficiency may be a bit lower when using their malts but the end product is what counts in the end.

cheers
johnno

Its hurting big time Batz having to buy beer but thats life.

Cheers
Big D

Cheers for the info on Powells malts guys.Hopefully they are available in Perth so that i can try them out if not maybe a Perth bulk buy down the track if there is enough interest.

Cheers
Big D

Used Cryer (BB) Galaxy yesterday, Powells usually 66.5% efficiency into the kettle for 30L, Galaxy gave 73%.

Batz
1xAle
2xPils
2xMunich
1xWheat

TidalPete
2xAle
1xPils

Screwtop
3xAle
1xPils
1xVienna

AndrewQld
1xMunich

Bindi
2xAle
1xPils
1xMunich

Jim
2xPils
1xAle

Need a couple more to make up a pallet,I still have not heard from Powells

Batz

Batz
1xAle
2xPils
2xMunich
1xWheat

TidalPete
2xAle
1xPils

Screwtop
3xAle
1xPils
1xVienna

AndrewQld
1xMunich

Bindi
2xAle
1xPils
1xMunich

Jim
2xPils
1xAle

Need a couple more to make up a pallet,I still have not heard from Powells

Batz

I have had a reply from Powells,they have

Pilsner
Ale
Vienna
Munich
Wheat

And all have gone up a couple of bucks,anyway we need 25 bags for a pallet.
I should have freight prices soon so I will be able to post prices.

Batz

Latest posts

Back