Another Brew Shop Closed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say I also have been turned away by LHBS's.
Currently the only one in this town AFAIK.
Been in a few times when I've had to and I mean when I've had to.
Found that if you ask for anything that doesn't come in a kit the proprietor thinks your strange.
Or tells you that you just can't do it. That and what they do stock is way overpriced.
If the Frankston one was anything like that they deserve to not have a business.
But I'll bet they're the first to say that the internet is hurting their business.
I now order from CB on the internet but because of the service and range.
I have been in a couple of times and would probably be in a lot more often if it was closer.

Mostly the service.
I doubt I would have started buying from the internet at all or started AG if it hadn't been for being turned away by my LHBS.
So I guess I should thank him oneday..

I would of never started brewing if it was not for my LHBS. To be able to walk in and not know what end of a subbie was up and walk out with the confidence to give HBing a go..............well you cant get that on the internet. Dont care what you say, human nature needs that face to face, personal contact prior to parting with the cash.
Sure, once u know what u are doing and are making award winning beers, internet orders are fine, but support your local "IF" they offer good service, produce and price.
Home brew is one thing the Chinese have not managed to copy and export to us at 1/4 the price. Well we all know how the Chinese hop bulk buy went... :)

Well not yet anyway... Chinese Braumiester anyone??
Looked at one at KegKing just an hour ago. ;)
I would of never started brewing if it was not for my LHBS. To be able to walk in and not know what end of a subbie was up and walk out with the confidence to give HBing a go..............well you cant get that on the internet. Dont care what you say, human nature needs that face to face, personal contact prior to parting with the cash.
Sure, once u know what u are doing and are making award winning beers, internet orders are fine, but support your local "IF" they offer good service, produce and price.
Home brew is one thing the Chinese have not managed to copy and export to us at 1/4 the price. Well we all know how the Chinese hop bulk buy went... :)
I guess I'm different to you, I credit all my brewing confidence and starting-knowledge to these forums, after that speaking to the guy at my LHBS (for some yeast) was a step backward and is one reason why I've only ever visited his shop once since.

I think 'retail home brewing' (crappy kits and crappy advice) is dying. Maybe this is a good thing, I don't know. Is it better to have a popular hobby with many people not being fully into or appreciating the hobby, or is it better to have a more select attendance but a high amount of committed members? A lot of generalisations but interesting to think about.

I often wondered about the statistics of how many wander-ins went from kits to AG or stayed with the game for a long time. I don't think many commoners in kits would progress, and the rest would probably rather do other things and just buy beer instead?

I'm a big fan of capitalism. The market will have her way.

Ha! Would NEVER have picked you as having a 'Liberal' Heart....

:ph34r:

:p

I buy yeast from my LHBS, because I'm too slack to make slants etc.
Other than that... They don't stock grain, or hops, and they don't know jack sh#t about AG brewing.
They do sell stuff for, and seem to know a bit about distilling.
They also stock cheesemaking equipment.

My "other" LHBS is a garden center.
They have HB gear (kits) between the hydroponic aisle and the distillation area.
I got a bit excited first time I was there and saw yeast in the fridge! - But it was all wine yeast...

My closest LHBS that actually sells grain and hops is 220 km's away. Make that HBS, not LHBS...

Than god (and the internet) for CB and G&G, and obviously this forum.
I get %100 of my HB advice from here, and also pretty much all of my grains and hops (Thanks Itmechanic / Tas BB)

I would not give a shit if (when) my LHBS closes. Just means I will have to keep a stock of yeast (bought or cultured) instead of getting it the day after brew day.

What country are you living in? You pay tax here by spending or drawing on investments, or in some cases investing. Infact in some cases you can make money and not pay taxes.
It was a pretty simple statement which you obviously read too much into.

"pay tax every quarter" implies GST / income tax.

You don't pay GST unless you sell more GSTable dollars than you buy.
You don't pay income tax unless your income is greater than your expenses.

ie, if your LHBS isn't making money they aren't paying taxes.

You only pay tax if you make money ;)

you pay tax on what you sell...Get Stuffed Tax...

nothing to do with if you make money or not, of course if you make money the tax man sticks his hand out again...

you pay tax on what you sell...Get Stuffed Tax...

nothing to do with if you make money or not, of course if you make money the tax man sticks his hand out again...
and you claim GST on stuff you buy. If you buy more than you sell the tax man gives you money.

and you claim GST on stuff you buy. If you buy more than you sell the tax man gives you money.

and very soon after you close your business......

buying more than one sells is a very rare occurence in any retail setting, certainly not an ongoing one, its not a business model to follow.

I think 'retail home brewing' (crappy kits and crappy advice) is dying. Maybe this is a good thing, I don't know. Is it better to have a popular hobby with many people not being fully into or appreciating the hobby, or is it better to have a more select attendance but a high amount of committed members? A lot of generalisations but interesting to think about.

I often wondered about the statistics of how many wander-ins went from kits to AG or stayed with the game for a long time. I don't think many commoners in kits would progress, and the rest would probably rather do other things and just buy beer instead?

i agree

I reckon the late Gen Y's and Gen Z's (most of them) wont take up brewing like past gens might have.

partly because many of them will be able to afford to buy their beer as due to a smaller labour force, they will obtain / demand higher wages and have more opportunity to advance careers quickly (earn more $$$) as boomers die out of the workforce.

also the current situation of more craftbrewers getting beer into taps in retail areas will put competitive pressure on prices of good beer and make it cheaper in the long term for them.

pretty much they will be busy doing other stuff

and very soon after you close your business......

buying more than one sells is a very rare occurence in any retail setting, certainly not an ongoing one, its not a business model to follow.
Hence why this is a thread about a store closing.

Glad you finally got my point :p

Hence why this is a thread about a store closing.

Glad you finally got my point :p

yeah mate, it took a while, the joy of the internet, it appeared to me you were arguing a different point, oh well same page now.

I buy yeast from my LHBS, because I'm too slack to make slants etc.
Other than that... They don't stock grain, or hops, and they don't know jack sh#t about AG brewing.
They do sell stuff for, and seem to know a bit about distilling.
They also stock cheesemaking equipment.

My "other" LHBS is a garden center.
They have HB gear (kits) between the hydroponic aisle and the distillation area.
I got a bit excited first time I was there and saw yeast in the fridge! - But it was all wine yeast...

My closest LHBS that actually sells grain and hops is 220 km's away. Make that HBS, not LHBS...

Than god (and the internet) for CB and G&G, and obviously this forum.
I get %100 of my HB advice from here, and also pretty much all of my grains and hops (Thanks Itmechanic / Tas BB)

I would not give a shit if (when) my LHBS closes. Just means I will have to keep a stock of yeast (bought or cultured) instead of getting it the day after brew day.

Where are these shops, spork? I may be moving to Tassie, likely the north in the vicinity of Launceston (yes, done research on Ravenswood and other dodgy places, I'm not that vague). I'd like to know where the "dude, forgot to get a spare pack of yeast" shop is, as well as a good shop for grain and the like.

Likely to continue orders from CB (and mail it), bulk hops from America, etc - but it can never hurt to know these things.

Oh, and @Maheel - I'm technically Gen Y (though only a few months over one of the boundry lines), though I would self-classify as Gen X - I brew and did so from Uni days. Noting a few memberx8y and 9z, so maybe not all is lost on the young'uns.

Goomba

Hey LRG.
Northern Brewing Supplies if you need a packet of dried yeast NOW. It's on Elphin Rd, just past the city park.
The other is "Charlie's Garden Center" @ Legana.

Nearest grain is in Hobart, prices are reasonableish and they can send it up for (IIRC) $8/bag.
Best place for us to buy grain (and bulk hops) is ITmechanic's BB's every couple of months. (Legend!)

Back